Have a drink on me I'm having a double celebtation.

Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

HowardQ
World Champion

Have a drink on me I'm having a double celebtation.

#1 Post by HowardQ » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:42 pm

A Christmas Builder's Tale.
We've been having a lot of work done on the bungalow, mainly involving an extension at the rear, which involved taking a wall out. We also had all the roofing felt replaced, which involved the entire roof being taken off, although one side was done in early September. There were major delays getting started, not helped by living in a modern bungalow, in a conservation area. We finally got started in early November and I wasn't expecting too much before next year.
We ended up needing to have foundations done by piling, so got expensive. After all this they F***** up and the beam on top of the piles was 70mm off level, not a good start. The builder had to level this whilst laying the stonework below the DPC, and we lost more time.
The piling company were also wanting an extra £900 above the quote for none planned work, which I had told them what to do with, but my builder had a go and explained how much work he would have to do to put it right, and they dropped the charges, plus my builder absorbed his costs!
The builder had been declared bankrupt just before we started, adding to the stress. To cut a long story short, I decided to stay with him, as he is still allowed to trade, I like the bloke and he has been great to work with.
He was always very confident about getting to work done quickly, and about a week after his part started in mid November, he reckoned he would have the main job done before Christmas, (i.e. just over a month away).
I was not as confident as him, but we had good luck with the weather and only really lost one day.
Anyway, they did it, and finished the main job today, Christmas Eve.
just missing a bit of trim around the two Velux windows and some other extra jobs still to complete, (couple of patios to build and have only done half the UPVC facias and soffits, which I only added a couple of weeks ago).
The builder and joiner came in today to carry on, but I sent 'em off to the pub with a Christmas bonus.
They have done a really good job at a great price and we are well pleased.
Spent the rest of the day cleaning the house, bloody dust everywhere, only just done.
It's been a great Christmas present, and a surprise to get it done so quick.
So the drinks are on me.
Merry Christmas everybody!
:smt114 :smt030 :smt111
Last edited by HowardQ on Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

blinkey501
World Champion

#2 Post by blinkey501 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:45 am

I will drink to that howard. I have an old property and know how much muck and dust you get when renovating, this included removing a chimney breast from the loft to the floor in the back room. :smt104
I am sure when everything is cleaned up you will be over the moon. I will have a drink of glenmorangie please mate.
Tolerance will be our undoing.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#3 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:22 pm

cheers and great result :)

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Willopotomas
GP Racer
GP Racer

#4 Post by Willopotomas » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Great news mate. Let's hope the finishing touches go without indecent. :smt006
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handle bars to the saddle.

Willopotomas
GP Racer
GP Racer

#5 Post by Willopotomas » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Great news mate. Let's hope the finishing touches go without incident. :smt006
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handle bars to the saddle.

fatboy
World Champion

#6 Post by fatboy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:30 pm

Happy householder, happy tradesmen !
Cheers to that :smt003
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#7 Post by BikerGran » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Cheers! Good result - can't squeeze in another drop of anything but I'll broach the port later!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#8 Post by DavShill » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Hope you've enjoyed Christmas in your new space Howard. All the best.