Farewell to Gertie

All non-motorcycle related chat in here

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

Farewell to Gertie

#1 Post by BikerGran » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:44 pm

Well she's gone.
Saturday was a sad day, end of an era for me. I've just said goodbye to Gertie.

I haven't been able to ride her for a couple of years, and I finally got my head around to accepting that I don't want her to just sit in my garage doing nothing, so she's gone off on a trailer with a bloke I've known for years, he'll tinker with her when he has time and try to sort what's wrong with the axle, and I've told him I'm ok with it if it turns out to be a better idea to use the parts for another project - that would still be better than just wasting the good bits.

I bought her as a bike in 2000, had her triked in 2004/5 and I reckon I've done more different stuff and visited more places than lots of people who've ridden for far more years than I have - I might even write a book!

But I might just have a bit of a cry first...
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

fatboy
World Champion

#2 Post by fatboy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Bless !
I raise my glass to you BG !
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Sad to hear that, Bobbi, but at least it's gone to someone you know and who will make use of it, one way or another.

And write the book! And put lots of your excellent photos in it!

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#4 Post by DavShill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:41 am

Yes a sad day BG but you've got some great memories. I now you'll be determined to stay in the biking community so keep in touch and we'll hopefully see you at future meets.

Gio
Double World Champion

#5 Post by Gio » Sun May 19, 2019 6:03 pm

Sad day indeed. I still have my project bike to do (CB400/4), I've not touched it in the last year due to lack of energy/lethargy, the 2nd engine is sitting on my workbench right now, in bits as I have new piston rings to fit also a new set on crank bearings (originals in a Honda bag all greasy looking and new).
I've got to order quite a few new bits and if I can't get them a friend said he will machine them for me for the price of an evening out (beer).
With luck I hope to restart in a few months time, subject to doctors approval.
I never saw Gertie as a trike I think but can remember her when she was a bike.

Raise a glass of the red stuff to Gertie, cheers!
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#6 Post by Greg » Sun May 19, 2019 8:03 pm

Gio - I'm in the same boat with the restos - my problem is that a 'quick job' always turns into a complete refurb, but every time I convince myself that it will only take a couple of hours. So far I have - in various stages of disassembly - RD350LC, Yam YR5, RG500, FZR1000 and a Suzuki T125.
You don't get a warm-up lap for life...

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#7 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Thu May 23, 2019 6:45 pm

:(

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Gio
Double World Champion

#8 Post by Gio » Mon May 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Greg wrote:Gio - I'm in the same boat with the restos - my problem is that a 'quick job' always turns into a complete refurb, but every time I convince myself that it will only take a couple of hours. So far I have - in various stages of disassembly - RD350LC, Yam YR5, RG500, FZR1000 and a Suzuki T125.
I got mine off Quackerz, seems like a century ago, it was just a bike and engine with 2 flat tyres and 5 boxes of assorted parts, none labelled. I've got most parts now with brown tags and names on, the bike frame was shot blasted a few years ago and is in an airtight sealed bag all oiled up for when I eventually start.
So you have 5 bikes to do, GOOD LUCK with that hahahaha.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#9 Post by Falcopops » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Damn, I wondered what that faint sobbing noise was a while back :smt009