Saying Hello

Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#16 Post by randomsquid » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:i assume the smell of wee is a turn on then tarquin - when you two going too breed and have baby jedi?
I'm not the one who piddles about with bed pans for a living.
Could breed the Faclos though, get some nice bronze all over ones. Probably a few slow black ones as well, but what can you do?
Where ever I lay my hat.....

Obiwan Kenobi
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#17 Post by Obiwan Kenobi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks all for the welcome.

Got an Optimate hooked up already, as advised.

Unfortunately weather and work have stopped me going out on the bike yet, but done a few searches and it looks like the list of things to check are:
  • Rear shock when ££ allows
    Something to do with a Brown Wire?
    My fork tops are flush with yoke, maybe need dropping.
    Derestriction on air box done?
    Clutch slave cylinder replace?
    Learn how to check oil
    Oh and definitely sidestand
My TRX's are another 'secret' underrated bike, but after a big highside at Mallory on a track day which smashed the bike and me, I fancied a change.

Went through a Triumph Daytona 900, MZ Baghira Supermoto and a MZ1000 twin in quick succession but none were right.

So after a biking lay-off the list of choices were a Falco, a YZF750 or a ZX9R for the available cash. Wanted a big bike, with some comfort for touring two-up, but that can handle a track day too.

Think I got it right with the Falco.

And no, I don't live in Hinckley.......

:smt001
These are not the Droids you're looking for...

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#18 Post by HisNibbs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:07 am

Falco's a great bike and though I have done it, from the feed back I've had I wouldn't say it is comfortable two up. Manageable at a push comfortable no.
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#19 Post by D-Rider » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:36 am

Obiwan Kenobi wrote:
  • Something to do with a Brown Wire?
That'll be the Brown Connector Wire Mod.
Normally entirely unnecessary.
It is done to improve charging but most charge fine anyway and those that don't can usually be sorted by cleaning contacts in the brown connector and in the rest of the charging system.

Cross that off your list unless you can prove it really does need doing.

Obiwan Kenobi wrote:
  • My fork tops are flush with yoke, maybe need dropping.
Hmm .... sounds like it will handle like an oil-tanker.
Standard setting is 3 rings showing above the top yoke.

I have 4 rings showing plus my rear shock set on max ride height (Keith has his set even more radical)
Along with carbon wheels it now turns really sharp.

Standard shock doesn't have ride height adjustment so 3 rings showing is very conservative - start there and see how you go.

Obiwan Kenobi wrote:
Went through a ....... MZ1000 twin in
Always liked the look of those but they are exceptionally rare ..... tell us more of the good and bad of this one.

:smt004
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Obiwan Kenobi
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#20 Post by Obiwan Kenobi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:04 pm

The MZ1000S was a really cool and interesting bike, and rare as rockinghorse teeth.

I had a MZ Baghira Supermoto and then some guy on the MZ forum was selling this and at a silly price, so I bought it 'blind' and trotted off down to Wembley with a van.

Trouble is, I didn't really know what I'd bought and shortly after had an offer on it which cleared me a grands profit so it was sold to a lass in Ireland.

Regret it a lot!

Looking at the pic now, its quite similar to the Falco.

Lovely 'stealth-fighter' design, comfy seat, big MZ-produced twin motor, and handled well too.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#21 Post by HisNibbs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:43 pm

More so the Futura I think.

fatboy
World Champion

#22 Post by fatboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:17 pm

As far as your mod list goes.....
s/stand and rear shock urgent priority.
as for the rest, if it works dont fix it unless you hate it.

ps, expect to have to replace the battery for a good one !
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#23 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:15 pm

I'd say the MZ1000 is rather an uncanny cross betwen Futura and Falco in terms of styling.

As regards two-up touring on the Falco, I guess it depends on what size and weight your passenger is. My wife (who weighs about 8-9 stone) and I did a return trip to the South of France a couple of years ago, and we found the Falco at least as good as a VFR, probably a bit better. The main thing that really improved rider and passenger comfort was getting rid of the Blue spring Sachs shock and replacing it with something decent. Ohlins and white or yellow spring Sachs shocks are the overwhelming favourites.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#24 Post by HisNibbs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 am

I just took my youngest daughter to sarf London and back and despite this one being a skinny 16 year old and a fan of the Falco buz, as she got off and momentarily staggered across the drive said; "you know what, I think I prefer the BMW".

Completely agree about the Falco Futura cross.

blinkey501
World Champion

#25 Post by blinkey501 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Obiwan Kenobi wrote:Thanks all for the welcome.

Got an Optimate hooked up already, as advised.

Unfortunately weather and work have stopped me going out on the bike yet, but done a few searches and it looks like the list of things to check are:
  • Rear shock when ££ allows

Something to do with a Brown Wire?
    My fork tops are flush with yoke, maybe need dropping.
    Derestriction on air box done?
    Clutch slave cylinder replace?
    Learn how to check oil

:smt001
Look for a white spring sach mille unit. This will match your linkages.
Tolerance will be our undoing.

Obiwan Kenobi
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#26 Post by Obiwan Kenobi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Looks like the shocker is a must then, will do some searching.
Why is the OE shocker so bad then? I know my bike has done 20k so will need a refresh anyway, but apart from that?
Not planning too much two up work, maybe a trip to Le Mans MotoGP but I dont ride for more than an hr without a stop.
The current her-indoors is quite petite, but has some inbuilt padding too! :-)

fatboy
World Champion

#27 Post by fatboy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:14 pm

The blue thing is a budget shock, it has only a small amount of pre load adjustment. ( there is some debate on pre load adj being any use at all ).
Many are of the opinion that the stock unit spring is a bit harsh.
In situ, the shock is close to the rear header therefore it gets a bit warm, other shocks have a remote res, helping overcome the heat problem.
Standard unit ok for low speed supermarket trip, NOT SUITABLE FOR ....
eveything a Falc excells at, fast scratching :smt003
It really is worth spending some dollars on this, gives so much more to the bike
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#28 Post by D-Rider » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 pm

They did a few inexplicable things when they launched the falco.

The 3rd worst was the crappy rear shock

The 2nd worst was the "will it won't it fall over" sidestand

But

The absolute worst of all was those atrocious Metzler Mez3 tyres it came equipped with.
Most people now on the forum now won't have experienced them let alone understand how bad they were ........... shivers at the thought .......
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#29 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:04 pm

I bought one of the last new UK-registered Falcos in 2008 (the bike had been forgotten in Aprilia UK's warehouse for 4 years) and had been a lurker here for a few months previously. I'd read all about the crap rear shock, the dodgy sidestand and the awful Metz MEZ3 tyres and thought - bit of exaggeration going on here, methinks...

I was wrong and they were right. The MEZ3 tyres, the shock and the stand got ditched after the grand total of 600 miles, and the bike was transformed. On my first ride out on the Falco I left Stafford and hadn't even reached Derby (about 30 miles) before my arse was feeling like it needed to get off the bike. When we finally stopped (in Matlock) my wife was questioning my sanity in buying the bike, as she too was in severe pain of the derriere. I couldn't fault the engine (even in restricted running-in mode), but the tyres were scary and the shock wasn't helping one bit.

Not long after that I snagged an Ohlins on ebay, replaced the MEZ3s with Roadsmarts and fettled and fitted a GSXR stand to replace the OE, and all was sweetness and light. We did a 200 mile jaunt and felt fresh as a daisy, whereas previously 50 miles without a stop was about the limit.

That blue spring shock is shite. I don't know how or why, but it is. How anyone has persisted for 20k miles with it is completely beyond me. Perhaps they have a far higher threshold of pain than me. Or something...

blinkey501
World Champion

#30 Post by blinkey501 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:21 am

I think we all have horror storys about the back shock.
I actually commented saying it was like a solid piece of bar welded in place.
I had a 600 S2 Fazer at that time too and the Fazer was built on a budget and the shock was a lot better.
To give you some idea of how pants it is..... They don't even service it... Yes its that bad.
Another thing to look out for on you falco, is if the engine doesn't select neutral easily.
This is an easy fix with a replacement clutch jet at about 13 quid delivered.
Tolerance will be our undoing.