Difficulty finding Neutral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#46 Post by Dalemac » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:25 pm

D-Rider wrote:
Dalemac wrote: Well, all the clutch related posts i have read about are all to do with clutch slippage. How much is removing the clutch going to help?

Dale
I didn't suggest it would - was just responding to your request on how to attack it.

That said there have been disengagement issues - like keith had when his release bearing failed:
https://www.ridersite.com/viewtopic.ph ... ch+release

Not sure how similar your issues are though.
Just read that thread. To be honest, recently it has gotten worse, to the point where it is hard to change gear. I think this disengagement bearing could be the cause of it now. Having tried everything else, doesnt look like i have a choice other than to open it up tomorrow and see what it looks like in there.

Gonna pop for a quick ride and do one final test.....to see what clutchless changing is like...

is part 20 the clutch bearing?

https://www.apriliayorkshire.co.uk/cata ... ame=Clutch

Dale

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#47 Post by Dalemac » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Didn't have time to look at this in the end. maybe on tuesday i will give it a shot.

Once again, is item 20 on the link i posted above the release bearing?

Thank you in advance,

Dale

anzacinexile
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#48 Post by anzacinexile » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 am

Yep, thats the fella

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#49 Post by Dalemac » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:13 pm

Right. now I am both confused and scared.

I have opened up the clutch cover and removed all the necessary parts to get the hub out to have access to the bearing. The bearing looks fine and operates fine. I had a quick look at the steel and friction plates - they all seem to be fine, too. The springs are also within spec. Stangely, there is a yellow like powder on the inside of the clutch cover, any ideas what that could be?

So, what now? i have a bearing coming in the post, so i will replace it anyway, but i doubt it will make an difference as i cant find anything wrong with the old one.

So, assuming that the replacement bearing wont make a difference, what next? I am worried that the gearbox itself is next on the list, perhaps the selector fork is broken/bent/whatever.

on a side, not, what is the 'clutch grub screw' on the handlebars? may as well check it is there and working properly....

*sigh*

Dale

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#50 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:29 pm

the grub screw is a lock system for the lever - but is a bugger !

have a close look and you will see a 1.5mm allen key head bolt..... that needs to be removed for adjusting the lever... its not obvious!

also, look at the clutch lever assembly - there is an adjuster hidden in there - have a look at https://www.apriliayorkshire.co.uk/cata ... tch%20pump and you will see what we mean

to adjust it, remove the grub screw....

i suspect it may be the cause of the slip....

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#51 Post by Dalemac » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:37 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:
i suspect it may be the cause of the slip....
Thanks, i will take a look tomorrow.

However, the clutch is not slipping, im having difficulty changing gears/finding neutral.

Dale

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#52 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 pm

sorry

difficulty engaging

i had something similar when i changed levers.... hence why i know lol

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#53 Post by Dalemac » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:44 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:sorry

difficulty engaging

i had something similar when i changed levers.... hence why i know lol
Oh.

Well, i will have new levers soon anyway.......but i kinda want a working bike.

This grub screw - where the hell is it! can't spot it on that diagram. And i assume the hidden adjuster is part 23 (and the parts next to it) in the diagram?

Dale

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#54 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 pm

yep

the grub screw is on the underside - take the whole lever assembly off and look with a good light source.....

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#55 Post by Dalemac » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:54 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:yep

the grub screw is on the underside - take the whole lever assembly off and look with a good light source.....
Ok will do, will get the gf's microscope out too, just incase.....

Just thought, will i need a bearing press to insert the new bearing? i could probably just take it to a garage and ask them to do it if the job required one...

Dale

anzacinexile
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#56 Post by anzacinexile » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:39 am

Dalemac wrote:
Aladinsaneuk wrote:yep

Ok will do, will get the gf's microscope out too, just incase.....

Just thought, will i need a bearing press to insert the new bearing? i could probably just take it to a garage and ask them to do it if the job required one...

Dale
Its a press fit but most managed by putting the cover in an oven and getting it good and hot - the bugger almost falls out. Gentle tapping with a drift or socket gets the new one in again, if you heat up the cover it makes it a lot easier

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#57 Post by Dalemac » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:43 am

anzacinexile wrote:
Its a press fit but most managed by putting the cover in an oven and getting it good and hot - the bugger almost falls out. Gentle tapping with a drift or socket gets the new one in again, if you heat up the cover it makes it a lot easier
Thanks, i will try that, when the gf isnt looking...

Dale

anzacinexile
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#58 Post by anzacinexile » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:49 am

Dalemac wrote:
anzacinexile wrote:
Thanks, i will try that, when the gf isnt looking...

Dale
Dont do what I did and not degrease it first.

Clouds of evil smelling smoke, smoke alarms going berserk but not as berserk as 'her indoors.

Took days to get rid of the smell.....................

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#59 Post by MartDude » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:02 pm

anzacinexile wrote:
Memories!! Did that ca. 1973 with the cylinder head off a Triumph 6T, which needed the valve guides replacing. Mother wasn't impressed
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#60 Post by D-Rider » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:42 pm

I remember removing my 400/4 engine to strip and rebuild it. Decided that I should thoroughly clean and degrease it before I took it apart so I stuck it in (well as far in as it would go) the kitchen sink and set to it with the gunk etc.

My mum didn't bat an eyelid.

:smt004
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein