Helmet safety sticker

Check in here for tips and advice to improve your riding skills. From simple tips for new riders, to info on advanced riding courses like the IAM and RoSPA.
Rickyrock
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#16 Post by Rickyrock » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:31 am

I know someone who encountered a lid with a head in but the body was about 50 yards back up the road. Not a nice experience for him, the biker didn't know to much about it though.

IsleFalco
Despatch Rider

#17 Post by IsleFalco » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:07 am

As part of my training as a TT and MGP marshall, I have received training in helmet removal. It is not easy, but not that difficult either. The main principle is to support the head and neck during helmet removal. Why remove the helmet you may ask? The decision to remove the helmet is a matter for the person assessing the incident. If we have a trained paramedic present, they would decide; if not, it is down to the marshall. This is why training is important. Simply speaking, if a casualty is not conscious, or there is any doubt about breathing, their is no way to fully assess the casualty or to administer CPR with the helmet on. The choice is to risk neck further injury (which can be very much minimised with the correct technique) or to stand by and watch someone die.

If I was at the side of the road and unconscious with breathing dificulties, I would prefer someone to be able to attempt CPR to save me, rather than stand around worrying about my neck. For this reason, I would not wear the sticker. Its a matter of personal choice though...

Andrewj100
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

#18 Post by Andrewj100 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:02 pm

Just a thought, my Shoei has cheek pads that are pretty easy to remove, would pulling these out first loosen the helmet enough to get it of easier?