Making the Falco bars more comfy for an Old Git (me)

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Making the Falco bars more comfy for an Old Git (me)

#1 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:02 pm

This is giving advance notice of a thread I intend to update regularly about making the bars on my Falco more suitable for my ageing bones. The option to find something else is not an option; I love my Falco and it is in so many ways the perfect bike for me. The handling, the performance, the grunt-filled engine, the soundtrack - I can't honestly imagine I would ever find anything better unless I spent stupid money, and as I'm now retired, that ain't gonna happen.

So - make the most of what you've got is the mantra. I have A Plan, but it's open to adjustment and will be modified as needs arise. I'll post up some pics soon of the 'starting position' (i.e. where we're at right now) in a few days to kick it off.

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

Re: Making the Falco bars more comfy for an Old Git (me)

#2 Post by Falcopops » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:51 pm

very cool, looking forward to it.

zoidberg
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#3 Post by zoidberg » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:42 am

I'll be following this with interest as I'd like to do this too. I just don't want to chop fairing etc

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:07 pm

OK, the bar arrangement I have is already non-standard, as I needed to find a way of reducing the width between bar ends so I could get the Falco down the passageway in the terraces in which I live without scraping the bar ends to buggery every time I wheeled it in or out. It was made possible by the forks being dropped through the yokes by 6 notches, leaving me enough space to mount a bar clamp above the yokes (the OE bars having already been removed, obvs).

I didn't use the bars that came with the clamps (just two pieces of Delrin tube, as I recall), but instead got a set fabricated to my design which allowed me to move the bar position up and back a bit (about 40mm, I think). This eased pressure on my wrists and made the bike narrower at the bars, so I called that a result. The picture below will hopefully illustrate the setup.
DSC_5561.JPG
DSC_5561.JPG (480.16 KiB) Viewed 31752 times
My cat Wilko does like to supervise this kind of stuff.
DSC_5571.JPG
DSC_5571.JPG (464.26 KiB) Viewed 31752 times
That was over 10 years ago, and I haven't been getting any younger in the intervening years and a recent ride out with my wife on the back highlighted the need for the bars to be moved substantially further up and back. When I was browsing Ali Express the other week I noticed a set of bar clamps that moved the clamp position up by 30mm. This bit of extra elevation would help, so I bought a set. I'll try and dig out the link, but here are some pics of the parts (one side shown only).
DSC_5573.JPG
DSC_5573.JPG (585.27 KiB) Viewed 31752 times
DSC_5575.JPG
DSC_5575.JPG (553.75 KiB) Viewed 31752 times
DSC_5577.JPG
DSC_5577.JPG (534.46 KiB) Viewed 31752 times
To make this work I'll need to get another set of bars made up that have a much greater offset from mounts to bars and I also intend to make the section that gets clamped longer than the current ones, so I have the option to move the bars inboard to clear the fairing if needed (which I'm sure it will be). This is a TurboCad representation of what the bars should look like.
Clip-on_MkIV_Falco.jpg
Clip-on_MkIV_Falco.jpg (36.01 KiB) Viewed 31752 times
So that's the outline plan. I'm hopeful it will work, as it's basically a refinement of what I've already done, but the proof will be in the doing. I know I'm going to need longer throttle cables and brake and clutch lines; I'm just hopeful there is enough slack in the switchgear cabling to allow it to work. I don't plan on doing this while the weather is right for riding, so for now I'll just concentrate on getting all the bits sourced and fabricated.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:33 pm

Just found the current link for the bar clamps shown above. They're even cheaper than when I bought them. How can they make this stuff for under £12?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970646020.html?

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#6 Post by Falco Frank » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:40 am

Another 'oldie' watching...

Some side shots, before and after might be nice.

I'm looking at options too but, I think my Woodcraft clipons might be a little higher than your existing?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yo749jpxqcYPLqWj8 *I need to sort my photo sharing!

I'd be wary of Asia based products, a Ducati buddy of mine had a similar set of risers completely split at the clamp - and he is meticulous about using correct torque settings.
01 Hyper Falco / 93 - 900ss Ducati (944cc)

My Ducati Alter-ego = Iconic944ss

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:08 pm

Hi Frank, I think the current position of your bars are very slightly higher than mine, but as you say a side-on shot would show better. This is the most recent side on shot I have of my Falco:
DSC_5003.JPG
DSC_5003.JPG (751.36 KiB) Viewed 31685 times
Not sure if you're aware but the forum now has its own photo hosting. When editing, click the 'Full Editor & Preview' button, then click the Attachments tab below the text editor, and you can import files from your PC/laptop/phone.

Take your point about Chinese stuff. My experiences so far have been good, but I'm aware there is some dangerous tat out there. Could your Ducati owning friend confirm or deny whether the part that failed on him is the same as mine?

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#8 Post by Falco Frank » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:26 am

Hi again, the Chinese clip-ons were from a company called Dan-Moto.com who only seem to make exhausts now, I actually have a set myself and forgot they were the same make (I only used the bases on my Ducati) but the other guy reported that the stem sheared where the bar fitted on.
A clever multi-adjustable design and maybe his was a one-off but yours look stronger and better designed to me.

On a similar theme, I note Andy (sorry if its you) has a Falco and Futura and I'm wondering if the rider footrests from a Futura will fit a Falco to lower the rests but NOT move them like rear-sets (I bought a single adapter plate from Lucas in Germany and wasnt happy with the result, so went no further).

To try the photo add feature, here is a part of my Ducati handlebar collection featuring at top the Danmoto bases:
Attachments
ST Handlebars clipons (Medium).jpg
ST Handlebars clipons (Medium).jpg (332.8 KiB) Viewed 31563 times
01 Hyper Falco / 93 - 900ss Ducati (944cc)

My Ducati Alter-ego = Iconic944ss

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:08 pm

Hi Frank, thanks for the information, that's very helpful. I can see what you mean about the Dan-Moto riser/clip-ons, there does seem to be an obvious failure point if the welding wasn't up to scratch. The welders I use have been in business for over 30 years and have a massive amount of experience and know-how and I trust them implicitly. They're a far cry from some Chinese guy on piecework with a few months experience...

I'm very impressed with your collection of Ducati bars/risers - I think you have the market covered there!

Andy Knott (D-Rider on here) has a Falco and a Futura, as I believe does Jay Hancock (Blinkey on here). I'd message them on FB to see if they can verify interchangeability. Both used to be very active on here, but neither visit very often (if at all) now, which is a shame.

zoidberg
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#10 Post by zoidberg » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Can a 1" rise be fit without having to alter cables and brake lines?

zoidberg
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#11 Post by zoidberg » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:06 pm

Or does anyone have a left bar for sale. The. Ike I have now took a tumble of its stand with its previous owner and the bar is a bit lower on that side because of it 🙄

Three Dawg
Despatch Rider

#12 Post by Three Dawg » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Just moved my standard bars over the yoke today - I think it must have been done before as everything fits perfectly and the yoke was already drilled through for the locating bolt. Position feels like a VFR now, relationship with bike repaired at no cost. :smt001

zoidberg
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#13 Post by zoidberg » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:47 pm

That's good to know. Just need to get myself a straight bar 😕

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:18 pm

I did the first trial fit of the new fork/bar clamps and handlebars, and it's become immediately apparent that surgery of the upper fairing will be required, Thankfully I've managed to acquire a pre-damaged top fairing that I won't feel as guilty about butchering. I got it from Keith (HisNibbs on here) after he'd had an off on his Falco on a track day a while back. The fairing is pretty well abraded and scratched on one side but is definitely repairable.

I will also need a replacement screen, as I have no intention to hack my exceedingly rare Puig screen about. As far as I can tell the fairing (and screen) will need cutting forward of the rearmost fairing to screen fastener point - that's at least 4 or 5 inches of the trailing edge of the side part(s) of the top fairing that will need to go. I've also ordered a set of Gen 2 Tuono throttle cables from AP Workshops and will be in contact with Venhill shortly to get them to make me an extended choke/fast idle cable.

I'll also need a longer braided hose for the brake lines, but will use John at Hel Mobile for that. I can send him the current one and just ask for the same but 100mm longer on the top section. The clutch line is a funny one. Due to the way it's routed I think I may well be able to get away with using the current one. If not it's a fairly simple task to get a longer one ordered up.

So (at long last) progress is being made. Pictures when I actually have something to show...

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#15 Post by Viking » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:48 am

mangocrazy wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:33 pm
How can they make this stuff for under £12?
Because it's made of the number one best quality high-tensile cheesemetal.
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.