How do you buy yours? PCP, Cash, Bank Loan?

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

How do you buy yours? PCP, Cash, Bank Loan?

#1 Post by Ben » Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 pm

I'm interested to know how you buy your bikes (new or second hand), (cash or finance) and what your bike-buying mantras are. And how long do you tend to keep them?

Me? I've never bought new, always look for low mileage bikes that are 5+ years old. I'm often tempted by new bikes, especially 0% finance deals but I've yet to pull the trigger.

burty
Despatch Rider

Re: How do you buy yours? PCP, Cash, Bank Loan?

#2 Post by burty » Sat May 16, 2020 6:48 am

Cash.

Only ever bought one brand new bike. Most of my purchases have been around 1 year old bikes.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by mangocrazy » Sat May 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Ever since 1980, when I bought my 350LC I've always bought new (with one exception, and that was my Ducati 888, which was a year old). In the '90s when I was contracting, the bikes (5 of them) were bought by my limited company as 'company bikes'. I could even claim back the VAT on them... Apart from those all the bikes I've ever owned I saved up for and bought cash.

yello
Despatch Rider
Main bike: Sorry, it's a Dullville

#4 Post by yello » Sun May 17, 2020 7:05 am

My first brand new bike, bought with the new found excitement of having a job and so my own resources, was on tick. Since then it's largely been trade-ins plus cash for 2nd hand purchases.The exceptions; I was a 'born again' and that purchase was cash only, and my current bike was a straight swap.

fatboy
World Champion

#5 Post by fatboy » Sun May 17, 2020 2:23 pm

I took out a bank loan for the RC8 as it is the most expensive bike I've owned, prior to that its always been cash, swaps, part exes ,bartering.
Never been tempted to buy brand new because of the massive depreciation factor
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

dprice8893
Despatch Rider

#6 Post by dprice8893 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:14 am

Over the past twenty years I've usually bought new and paid the difference with cash. I generally keep my bikes for up to two years and negotiate hard at the best time of the year for a good part ex.
It's probably still the most expensive way but hassle free. Also, I rarely take the bike for dealer servicing and do it myself which saves a fortune.

Dr Ridin
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by Dr Ridin » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:06 am

I have always paid cash, as the old axiom of 'money talks' is still true. For most sellers they need the money now and don't want to wait days for loans to be approved, and cheques to be cleared. I have bought some great bikes very cheap by turning up with the Rego Transfer papers and cash in my pocket.

Shebee
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict
Main bike: 1100 Ducati Scrambler

#8 Post by Shebee » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:42 pm

in the beginning i used to do mostly Cash or bank loans, the most recent one was bought with the PPI refund from the bank loans!
There is only one way of life and that's your own.

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#9 Post by BikerGran » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:10 am

I've only had three and they were all cheap and cheerful, so cash! Tell a lie, I bought a 400/4 at the local auction so I paid the £70 with a card. Sold it for £100 cash 2 years later.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Rodgerthat
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

#10 Post by Rodgerthat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:00 pm

hi, new member from Scotland and first post, I would buy the bike rather than use pcp, and the easiest and cheapest way to borrow the money is to get a loan from either a local credit union or a credit union that is possibly associated with your place of work, my own local credit union do low cost car / bike loans all year round at 3-9%, everyone I know uses them, you are avoiding the big interest rates of the finance companies as well as the dealers commission on the deal, through a lot of my friends experience I wouldn’t go with pcp, if you really like the bike then buy it,then when you’ve paid it up you will have an asset to keep, sell or trade in :smt026

Iangt750
Despatch Rider

#11 Post by Iangt750 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:46 am

Always cash but only one BNIB so to speak.
I bought a RE650 Interceptor new, sold that after 2 years, mostly lock-down and lost £150 on new price, did have a couple of after market mods though.
Current ride is a 19 year old BMW R1100S Randy Mamola Boxer Cup, thought I'd not lose too much on this one after 2 or 3 years.