The 'oldies share their wisdom' thread

If you're about to enter the wonderful world of motorcycling or you've recently passed your test, get advice and tips here. No question too daft!
RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

Re: The 'oldies share their wisdom' thread

#16 Post by RiceBurner » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:55 pm

fatboy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:50 pm
It is safe to assume that everybody else out there is deaf,dumb and blind and wants to kill you
Sorry, have to disagree.

They're deaf, blood and can be moronic, yes but they're very rarely actually attempting to deliberately harm you.
If they hit you its more by error of judgement or omission of rational thought.

Just ride as if you can't be seen and do their thinking for them. ;)

Pixee67
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider
Main bike: Yamaha MT07

#17 Post by Pixee67 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Sign up and attend a Bike Safe course every two years or so, they are brilliant at keeping your approach to road safety current. Here is a link: https://bikesafe.co.uk/ you will be able to join a waiting list for a course in your region.

Seafarer
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider
Main bike: Harley Roadster

Tips for Newbies

#18 Post by Seafarer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:47 pm

Pass your test on a Shiny RD250 , That takes me back, far to many years, the fact that you could in those days , pass the test on an Over engined . under tyred , under braked , under suspended , and of course under talented 250. I left school with 3 mates. We all did our test on 250's , Drive roundthe test center . PASS if you didn't fall off. No wonder a lot of us died.

2 mates on the aforementioned Yamahas one on a Kawa 250 and my new Superdream (yeah don't ask) 1977 I am the only one still on a bike , one Mate unfortunately Died on said Yamaha ( to much bike with No skill at 17)

So things they never Told us:

Don't ride in the Gutter , Don't ride over wet Iron works, or Wet leaves or near bollards at junctions. Do your Bend swinging , look for the vanishing point , plan ahead , read road signs , Look over hedges ,Look out for the dreaded tractor mud ,Overtake in the right gear Relax , concentrate, don't ride Tense. Don't buy Cheap Hard Tyres. Assume Rush Hour Car Drivers are Stupid, still asleep , Myopic and out to Kill you. Where does it end Get some more Training I went out with a Policeman very fast on a Big Pan Euro took some following never mind keeping up and doing it right.

I think the ones of us who survived the Biking 70's and are still doing it deserve a medal. Did you see that Prep involved in Guy Martin re creating the Great Escape jump, Proves my point. or the Safety Elf spoilt our Fun.
Rgds

Clive

Mikexrv
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

#19 Post by Mikexrv » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:20 pm

I always say to new riders. When cornering don't look 10 -20 feet ahead, fix on where you want to end up and 9/10 that's where you will be. Always works for me. Also do the bike safe course it's a good craic and you learn a hell of a lot......

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

#20 Post by Ben » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:53 am

If you're doing a lot of riding over, say, 30mph, wear earplugs.

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#21 Post by RiceBurner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:01 pm

Ben wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:53 am
If you're doing a lot of riding over, say, 30mph, wear earplugs.
:smt023 :smt023

Couldn't agree more.

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

#22 Post by Ben » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:21 pm

When you buy a battery charger, get one that also comes with a quick-release connector (or has one you can buy).

That way, you only have to rig the quick-release dongle up to the battery once and then tuck it away under your pillion seat or inside your fairing or whatever. Then you can connect up the battery charger in seconds, rather than have to unscrew fairing bolts or remove seats and tail unit to be able to get access to the battery.

Gio
Double World Champion

#23 Post by Gio » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:08 pm

As part of the daily grind of checking things, take a look at the side stand sensor (if fitted)
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

yello
Despatch Rider
Main bike: Sorry, it's a Dullville

#24 Post by yello » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:47 am

Wasn't there a sage bit of Gio advice 'back in the day' about using a stop watch to inflate tyres?

Come on 'oldies' (@oma et al), help me out here, what was it again?

yello
Despatch Rider
Main bike: Sorry, it's a Dullville

#25 Post by yello » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:53 am

RiceBurner wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:55 pm
Just ride as if you can't be seen and do their thinking for them. ;)
Amen brother!

I'm a much more sensible (read 'slower' or, to be fair, 'appropriate speed') rider than I was. These days, when I've got some boy racer up my jacksey that wants to play race car, I'll pull over and let them go.

Gio
Double World Champion

#26 Post by Gio » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:39 pm

yello wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:47 am
Wasn't there a sage bit of Gio advice 'back in the day' about using a stop watch to inflate tyres?

Come on 'oldies' (@oma et al), help me out here, what was it again?
Yes and I've moved on since then :smt005
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

stefanb
Despatch Rider

#27 Post by stefanb » Wed May 13, 2020 7:15 pm

Just to throw my 2 cents. Although I am a new rider I've been researching everything I can about bike riding from a safety point of view. I can recommend the police foundations rider handbook which has some good information (most causes of crashes and how to avoid them, vanishing point etc.).

I have also noticed some very good youtube channels that give you practice drills for the parking lot. Got some small cones, found a big parking lot close by and went there every day for 30min to 1h to practice emergency braking, weaving through the cones spaced wider and wider etc. I think these do help if you re a new rider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y_PXeRVubY&t=451s
There are other channels but this guy set up a system of belts to make the tasks harder and harder.

Grumblebum
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

#28 Post by Grumblebum » Sun May 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Actually get off the bike if possible and investigate what diesel does to a wet road and sap from overhead trees also after a long period of no rain then it rains , gravel is obvious , extremely hot weather can melt the tar that's interesting and lastly never go into a blind corner in the middle of the road you'll get wiped out one day , I know it's been said a thousand times but treat all other road users as idiots and expect them to do the wrong thing, I know it's not true but if you want to survive a bit longer it works 😊

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#29 Post by mangocrazy » Sun May 17, 2020 10:25 pm

Grumblebum wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:26 pm
also after a long period of no rain then it rains
This. After an extended dry, hot spell (it does happen in the UK, honest) there has been a build up of rubber, oil and other contaminants on top of a polished road surface. A rain shower on top of this is lethal; it's like riding on diesel.

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#30 Post by RiceBurner » Wed May 20, 2020 10:14 am

mangocrazy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:25 pm
Grumblebum wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:26 pm
also after a long period of no rain then it rains
This. After an extended dry, hot spell (it does happen in the UK, honest) there has been a build up of rubber, oil and other contaminants on top of a polished road surface. A rain shower on top of this is lethal; it's like riding on diesel.
Yup. Agree with that.