The RC8 is badly wounded and out of the game

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

fatboy
World Champion

The RC8 is badly wounded and out of the game

#1 Post by fatboy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:45 pm

Hit some debris in the road 6.30 this morning, nearly chucked me off,rode slowly incase the tyre was unseated, got stuck behind a road sweeper lorry.
Drove past the scene later and I could see what happened, the road sweeper driver put the brush in the verge,flicked a large stone into the road which I hit, took several shots of the scene which clearly show what I described.
Front wheel now has a 75mm flat spot on the rim edge,needs repair/replacing, front tyre will also have suffered carcass damage...
Have emailed Highways and wait there response.
New wheel is a mere £1,256.10 plus post.
Yours truly only has his feet for transport now
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

fastasfcuk
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

Re: The RC8 is badly wounded and out of the game

#2 Post by fastasfcuk » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:52 pm

Glad you stayed on.😳

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#3 Post by RiceBurner » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:01 am

Ouch.
Best of luck with the council... they're not generally very forthcoming. :(

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:37 pm

Shit - sorry to hear that, Paul. I'd make a real nuisance of yourself with the council. Do not give them a momen'ts peace and make them understand you are not going away. Also, put it all down in writing wherever possible. Unless you can record phone calls they can always maintain it never happened. In the mean time I'd investigate if the wheel can be repaired or not.

Katana
Despatch Rider

#5 Post by Katana » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:52 am

Glad you stayed on, might be worthwhile to chat to motoliner in maidstone as they are good at that sort of thing.

fatboy
World Champion

#6 Post by fatboy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:51 pm

The council have got back to me,they say they never received the images I sent.
They will give me a claim form and want written estimates, at least they haven't dismissed it out of hand. Several have mentioned Motoliner, good and quick but I'm not sure how confident I would be wit a repair, as the tyre is still on it's not possible to see if the wheel is cracked, if so its toast

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:33 pm

WOuld it be possible to post up a photo of the ding in the wheel? From people I've spoken to, it's surprising just how bad the damage can be, and still be repaired safely. Obviously, if the council are prepared to cough up, it's a new wheel every time, but if they are giving you the runaround there may be other options.

An incident like this is one of the few occasions when TC1474 served a useful purpose...

Gio
Double World Champion

#8 Post by Gio » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Sorry to hear that Paul, if you have the pictures I'd suggest getting them printed off, they can't deny a register letter with them.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

fatboy
World Champion

#9 Post by fatboy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi all, have had my local bike shop write up an insurance estimate,they reccomend replacing rather than repair.
There are two damage sites to the outer edge of the RHS of the wheel rim, initial impact, wobble of bars and secondary gouge as the wheel flicked the rock out of the way as I struggled to stay on....180 degrees apart.
The gouge is the more worrying, the flat can easily be pressed out
Sorry still not worked out how not to pay dropbox charges re posting images

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:26 pm

Hi Paull, you can post images direct to the site now, although it seems this is not well known. When writing your post, click on 'Full Editor & Preview', and in the section below where you are composing your post, click 'Attachments', then click 'Add files'. Navigate to where the photos are stored on your PC, click on the image(s) and then click 'Open'. Once the picture has uploaded, click 'Place inline' and you're done... :smt003

fatboy
World Champion

#11 Post by fatboy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:38 pm

As expected Highways have denied liability, their denials are laughable....
They admit a sweeper was on that route at that time but say the driver didn't see any debris in the road ( it was dark and the vehicle does not have rearward facing lights)
They seem convinced the stone came from the neighbouring property despite my pics clearly showing shit dragged into the road. I will post the pics when this bloody device plays the Bluetooth game
I will also speak to my Union legal department, in the meantime its Motoliner or s/hand wheel