fantastic app

All non-motorcycle related chat in here

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

fatboy
World Champion

fantastic app

#1 Post by fatboy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Tune ECU, it's a free download for windows, nominal charge for Android.
It allows you to alter/download fuel maps, alter throttle parameters, disable/enable sensors and clear fault codes.
The RC8 started playing up earlier this week ,all sorted, no EFI warning light, no longer blowing fuses, new fuel map installed, all sorted and almost ready to go ( I accidently threw the tiny clutch pushrod seal out with some oily newspaper )
Really pleased, cost me a fraction of repair shop bill, 33 quids for for the OBD2 lead and an 0616 adaptor lead, ten quids for the app :smt004
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Nice one, Paul. I have a suspicion that Tune ECU only works on slightly earlier models (10 years old-ish) and not the latest models, which is a big shame as it sounds like the perfect app. It doesn't work on Falcos and RSVs of the same era either (they're not new enough, apparently).

I am still hankering after an RC8R, but there's not a chance it would get past the Boss. It doesn't have a pillion seat, for a start. Perhaps if I sold the single seat 888 and replaced it with the single seat RC8R?

I'm thinking myself into a world of trouble here...

fatboy
World Champion

#3 Post by fatboy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Wouldn't be first time Graham would it ! :smt003

A pillion seat is available for the RC8R but I do recall seeing a post on the KTM form asking
"How do you stop pillion from flying off backwards ?"

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Yes, I do have form in that regard... :smt003

KTM must have been having a larf when they designed a pillion perch for an RC8R. The whole concept is clearly ridiculous...

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

#5 Post by katie1 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:33 pm

You know you need a Super Duke :smt003

Following the recent trip round France, it would get my vote for just about anything.

Just waiting to fit the new silencer and air filter now and get the remap, got a feeling it may not be early-morning friendly...
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 pm

katie1 wrote:You know you need a Super Duke :smt003

Following the recent trip round France, it would get my vote for just about anything.

Just waiting to fit the new silencer and air filter now and get the remap, got a feeling it may not be early-morning friendly...
Get thee behind me, Katie...

The whole idea of buying the Duke 690 was to get my hooligan kicks at rather lower velocities, and here you are trying to tempt me back onto a bike capable of warp speeds. And Paul is not blameless in this respect, either...

This forum really is a hotbed of bad influences.

Probably why I keep coming back... :smt003

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

#7 Post by katie1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:10 pm

mangocrazy wrote: Get thee behind me, Katie...

The whole idea of buying the Duke 690 was to get my hooligan kicks at rather lower velocities, and here you are trying to tempt me back onto a bike capable of warp speeds. And Paul is not blameless in this respect, either...

This forum really is a hotbed of bad influences.

Probably why I keep coming back... :smt003
Made me smile all day, I always wanted to be a bad influence :smt002
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

fatboy
World Champion

#8 Post by fatboy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Guilty as charged Graham :smt003
Just been for a blast on the 8, very pleased with new fuel map,a lot smoother and tres rapido !
In fact so rapido I now need to fit a 'throttle tamer' to stop the front wheel lifting every time you hit a bump and give it an unintentional twist

PS Graham, we do not see you as being entirely innocent

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:10 pm

I'd much rather be in the company of bad influencers - they're a lot more fun... :smt003

fatboy
World Champion

#10 Post by fatboy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:00 pm

Well Graham, I know it's not just me on here with the mindset of "Tell me no and I will"

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by D-Rider » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:31 am

I know Tune ECU works with the Futura ..... when I get time to tinker with mine, I plan to use it.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:34 pm

D-Rider wrote:I know Tune ECU works with the Futura ..... when I get time to tinker with mine, I plan to use it.
That's very interesting. I guess that as the Futura was crucially released a couple of years later than the Falco that the electronics had moved on. So does the Futura have an ECU and access port rather than just an EPROM?

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by D-Rider » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:11 pm

mangocrazy wrote:
D-Rider wrote:I know Tune ECU works with the Futura ..... when I get time to tinker with mine, I plan to use it.
That's very interesting. I guess that as the Futura was crucially released a couple of years later than the Falco that the electronics had moved on. So does the Futura have an ECU and access port rather than just an EPROM?
The Futura and Caponord have a very different ECU to the other Gen1 bikes. They have OBD ports which allow them to communicate with Tune ECU.
A lot of the newer Aprilias also work with Tune ECU:

https://tuneecu.net/Aprilia_Tune_list.html
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:59 pm

Wow - that's really interesting. I'm amazed that Aprilia are still building their electronics in a way that supports TuneECU, and thereby modification of the supplied engine maps. KTM used to fit ECUs that supported TuneECU, but (for the KTM Duke 690 at least) since about 2015 that has been stopped, and with the introduction of Euro4 emissions regs they have made it very difficult to update the ECU firmware.

Dealers can still re-flash the ECU, but only the open-loop side of it. The closed-loop running can't be updated (as far as I'm aware), but there are products that can insert themselves between the lambda sensor and the ECU to modify the output signal to achieve the desired result. It's the closed-loop fuelling that is the problem, as Euro4 requires manufacturers to run the fuelling incredibly lean to pass the tests, especially on big singles (probably the hardest engine configuration to manage).

This means that on low-speed and constant-throttle the fuelling always seems to be 'hunting' and feels on a knife-edge, making progress very snatchy. There is a way round it (of course) and the best option appears to be to fit a Rapid Bike EVO control module that can improve the closed loop fuelling. Power Commanders can only alter the open loop, which is not really that much help.

So if Aprilia have stuck with a more 'open' system in the face of Euro4 regulations they are certainly to be applauded. And as your Futura's fuelling can be updated using TuneECU then I'd say you have the best of all worlds.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by D-Rider » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:01 pm

Prompted by this, I've now obtained the correct connectors for my Futura.
Thanks for getting this thread going to remind me.
:smt003 :smt004 :smt098
-- Albert Einstein