More secrets from the Aprilia Rip-off Parts Bin

All non-motorcycle related chat in here

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

KitchenSync
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

More secrets from the Aprilia Rip-off Parts Bin

#1 Post by KitchenSync » Tue May 14, 2019 4:21 pm

On the left a wonky Futura coolant temp sensor: £63 EACH in an Aprilia bag from Ultimate Parts.

On the right a Jaguar/Rover coolant temp sensor LHE1600AA: 2 for £20 from GSF with today's online discount code.

Just sayin'!

Don't EVER buy OEM electrical parts - Aprilia were raiding the same component catalogues as European car manufacturers of that time were. 30 mins of sleuthing can save you £100s

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xCWJZu9YXQjvMnSe7
2002 Signor Falco - stolen in Nottingham, ringed and alive again down south under an assumed identity
2002 Futura - King Fut
2011 Skyteam Bongo 125 - reimagined as Daryl's ride from The Walking Dead

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by mangocrazy » Tue May 14, 2019 7:41 pm

I always check ebay and Aliexpress before buying any electrical bits, particularly generic stuff like temperature sensors. Nice find.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

Re: More secrets from the Aprilia Rip-off Parts Bin

#3 Post by D-Rider » Wed May 15, 2019 7:25 am

KitchenSync wrote:On the left a wonky Futura coolant temp sensor: £63 EACH in an Aprilia bag from Ultimate Parts.

On the right a Jaguar/Rover coolant temp sensor LHE1600AA: 2 for £20 from GSF with today's online discount code.

Just sayin'!

Don't EVER buy OEM electrical parts - Aprilia were raiding the same component catalogues as European car manufacturers of that time were. 30 mins of sleuthing can save you £100s

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xCWJZu9YXQjvMnSe7
Are you really going to risk fitting a sensor of the wrong colour?!

Yes, I find Ultimate Parts are a good reference source for part numbers but I avoid them whenever possible due to price of parts and their crazy postage costs.
That said, Aprilia parts in general are crazy but Ultimate Parts seem to take that crazyness to another level.

Always good when an alternative is found.

Report back when you have it working - it'll be good to confirm that it gives the same output profile as the old one (before it failed).
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

KitchenSync
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#4 Post by KitchenSync » Thu May 16, 2019 5:34 pm

D-Rider wrote:Report back when you have it working - it'll be good to confirm that it gives the same output profile as the old one (before it failed).
I tested them all with water fresh from the kettle - even the one which seemed to be knackered - and they all measured broadly the same resistance when warmed up, and the same when dunked in a glass of cold water.

Annoyingly though: havng replaced all the perished vacuum hoses and now these two temp sensors, when the Fut gets hot in traffic, after about two cycles of the cooling fans kicking in, the idle is still rising. Last Friday it was up to 5,000+ then down to 1,500 without me even touching it. Sat at home with the tank up (before I switched out the temp sensors) I could watch the Idle Control Valve opening and closing in TuneECU with no apparent cause and no other sensors fluctuating.

It was better this evening - the idle rose about 500rpm to 1,750 - but I'm still curious as to what it is that's having a dicky fit when it's warm under the tank. All I can think is the have it warm up and blow cold air on various components to see what it is. Could it be a weird vapour lock?

On another matter has anyone else noticed how the new Katana look a lot like the front end of the Futura? Oh - just me then.
2002 Signor Falco - stolen in Nottingham, ringed and alive again down south under an assumed identity
2002 Futura - King Fut
2011 Skyteam Bongo 125 - reimagined as Daryl's ride from The Walking Dead

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by D-Rider » Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 am

KitchenSync wrote:
On another matter has anyone else noticed how the new Katana look a lot like the front end of the Futura? Oh - just me then.
Oh please don't say that - I never liked the old Katana and although the new one is marginally better, it's still a thing of ugliness.
I really don't want to view my Futura and in the back of my mind be thinking that it might be a bit like one of those things!

.... and I'm not sure what might be causing your idle problems. Not really played about with my Futura to gain an insight to their engine control strategy.
Sorry
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein