Newish motor ..

All non-motorcycle related chat in here

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

Newish motor ..

#1 Post by Greg » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 pm

It was a toss-up between a Stagea and a 530D Touring, but the Bavarian mile muncher won the day.

I'd been looking at a 530D M-Sport Touring on the BCA website for a while, and had found a mate who had an on-line account so I didn't need to trek all the way at Peterborough from down here in Wimborne .. The auction day came and lot 29 came along - a really nice looking car, FSH and 5POs, and 164k on the clock. Bidding started and within a second it had brrrappaadiddled brrrrrddrrrone-thirty-five then brrrdidddleeeeefull service history ... Within 20 seconds the bidding stopped at £2.7k and we were the highest bidder - bang, "SOLD - to the man by the Seaside!" Fark me, I was expecting to have to pay more. I've had a couple of auction buys before, but that was almost 20 years ago, and right now I was frankly bricking it a bit thinking I'd just spunked almost three grand on what might turn out to be a right snotter.

Anyhoo, my mate had a mate who delivers cars for a living, and for just over a hundred quid the car landed with me yesterday. Well, he got out of the car and told me I'd got a good'un, and he wasn't wrong. Clean, straight, no new paint anywhere and just a displaced air scoop at the front. Arrived with 1/2 tank of fuel too. I excitedly took the service book wallet and went through the invoices - more than 3k spent on stuff over the last 2 years, new turbo, front struts, front brakes, DVD reader, almost new tyres, full service less than 1000 miles ago... Best of all was an invoice for DPF delete and a stage 2 re-map, followed by another for swirl flap removal and blanking plates. The icing on the cake was discovering a detachable tow hitch in the spare wheel-well - something I'd budgeted an extra £600 for!

It's fantastic, drives like a new car compared to my rattly old T5, and the ageing 944 rolling resto ... I may be feeling a little smug right now.

Greg
You don't get a warm-up lap for life...

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#2 Post by flatlander » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 am

Well done and congrats always good to hear good folks having a good result
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Nice one Greg! What sort of miles will those motors do, assuming they are looked after?

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#4 Post by Greg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Mileage - well I guess that depends on how well you look after it, but 300+ isn't uncommon ..

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:21 pm

Wow - that's serious mileage. Having said that, my VW T4 van has done over 220k. I presime the Beemer is a Turbo-diesel?

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#6 Post by Greg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Yarp - straight six and I have to say that for a bit of a barge it fucking flies...

I sold my T4 at 153k something, it was a chipped 102 Caravelle, that was lovely and analogue and repairable... The T5 however hasn't been so cost effective. It was admittedly an early model 175, but in the 160k miles it's done so far it's shat an auto gearbox, clogged the turbo, worn out one lobe of its camshaft, both front struts, 2 sets of front discs, 4 blower motors, abandoned all hope in the self closing side doors and popped an intercooler...

Comparing the Beemer to the T5 at the same mileage I'm staggered at how good one is, and how shit the other is...

G

fatboy
World Champion

#7 Post by fatboy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Smug git !
Well done and expect some bits in the post soon now I actually have time to fast after the Xmas clear up
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#8 Post by Falcopops » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:55 pm

noice, no idea what you're on about, but still sound noice

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

#9 Post by katie1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:16 am

Falcopops wrote:noice, no idea what you're on about, but still sound noice
Same. I'm guessing it's about some kind of car/truck/van but not entirely sure? :smt005
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

Re: Newish motor ..

#10 Post by BikerGran » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:20 pm

Greg wrote:It was a toss-up between a Stagea and a 530D Touring, but the Bavarian mile muncher won the day.

It's fantastic, drives like a new car compared to my rattly old T5, and the ageing 944 rolling resto ... I may be feeling a little smug right now.

Greg
Aw cmon, not really fair comparing the car with a van! I feel I must stand up for T5s! Of course it doesn't help that you have the worst model they made.....
Is yours a work van or converted?
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#11 Post by Greg » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Katy

The T5 was/is a Caravelle Executive 174 ... adapted for a wheelchair user with a lift in the back, but treated like a fairly capacious rubbish bin and latterly a skip.

Engine wise when it's running well it's lovely but in reality it's fucking shit. With a big F.

In fairness it's worked fairly hard in its life, I took it to Africa with a trailer loaded to the gunnels (gunwhales?) with two elephantine ADV bikes and a kitchen sink, then it dragged a P1 Powerboat to Liverpool and back from Southampton - it weighed 3T with the trailer, and had fuck knows what hitch loading, but more than I could lift. I suspect it was that trip that did the rear springs and the gearbox ..

It still starts first time though, runs ok and I can get two trackbikes in the back so I shouldn't complain really.. But I do.

I'll be tackling the exhaust manifold next weekend.

G