Tyres for a BlackBird

Mechanical woes? Ask other members for tips and advice.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Gio
Double World Champion

Tyres for a BlackBird

#1 Post by Gio » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:37 pm

Okay I've been looking for new rubber for my bikes wheels, should i go for another set of either Michelin pilot road 2's or Dunlop roadsmart 3's. I've heard good things about the roadsmarts but never having had a bike with dunlop before its an unknown quantity for me, what do you think?
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#2 Post by Dalemac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:10 am

There are much better tyres than the road 2's now. You should consider the Bridgestone t30 evo's and the Metzeller m7rr's as well. Both supposedly very good too.

Gio
Double World Champion

#3 Post by Gio » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:51 am

Dalemac wrote:There are much better tyres than the road 2's now. You should consider the Bridgestone t30 evo's and the Metzeller m7rr's as well. Both supposedly very good too.
Yes agreed the road 2's I had on my previous BB and that was 10 years ago +. Not to sure about the t30's Katie mentions a few issues at 1st and always have a few anxious hours on new tyres (ride like an old woman) and apart from one track day at Brands I don't thnik I ever got onto the edge of a tyre, mostly because our roads are a disgusting mess.
Thanks Dale
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#4 Post by flatlander » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:40 am

I loved the road smarts 2 tge 3vl was too much like riding on air for me very little rolling resistance to the extent of losing a bit too much feel for me
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#5 Post by Dalemac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:25 pm

I'd expect any new set of tyres to feel a bit weird for the first few miles, especially at this time of year when the roads are full of dirt and grime.

The guys on AP rave about the Metzeller m7rr's....think they might be my next choice of tyres.

fatboy
World Champion

#6 Post by fatboy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Dont know if this will help your search for new hoops but Metzeler and Pirrelli are made in the same factory by the same company.
Tyre tech has moved on in leaps and bounds but we cant help remembering past experience, tyre choice is as individual as food choice.
As the guy in my local bike shop says ' If you buy a major brand you can't buy a bad tyre these days'
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Gio
Double World Champion

#7 Post by Gio » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:21 pm

fatboy wrote:Dont know if this will help your search for new hoops but Metzeler and Pirrelli are made in the same factory by the same company.
Tyre tech has moved on in leaps and bounds but we cant help remembering past experience, tyre choice is as individual as food choice.
As the guy in my local bike shop says ' If you buy a major brand you can't buy a bad tyre these days'
Made in China aren't they, well thats some of the gossip I've heard. I avoid anything made in China if theres another option.

I think I'll go with the road smart 2's as they have a very good reputation apparently.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi Gio, not sure if you're aware , but Dunlop released the Road Smart 3 last year; sounds like it would suit the BB very well:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016 ... smart-iii/

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

#9 Post by katie1 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Gio wrote:
Dalemac wrote:There are much better tyres than the road 2's now. You should consider the Bridgestone t30 evo's and the Metzeller m7rr's as well. Both supposedly very good too.
Yes agreed the road 2's I had on my previous BB and that was 10 years ago +. Not to sure about the t30's Katie mentions a few issues at 1st and always have a few anxious hours on new tyres (ride like an old woman) and apart from one track day at Brands I don't thnik I ever got onto the edge of a tyre, mostly because our roads are a disgusting mess.
Thanks Dale
If it helps, my Bridgestones are now run in (apart from the massive chicken strips :smt002 ) and I'm really glad I picked them. Tyres do seem to be improving in leaps and bounds now so I reckon the latest version of most will be pretty good?
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

Gio
Double World Champion

#10 Post by Gio » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:08 am

mangocrazy wrote:Hi Gio, not sure if you're aware , but Dunlop released the Road Smart 3 last year; sounds like it would suit the BB very well:

Yes I was aware, thing is they are even more pointier than the 2's, think its becuse it gets more rubber down in the bends and I'm not an aggressive enough rider to get the best out of them. In fact I'd go as far as to say my next bike might well be a goldwing as I like the laid back lazy approach to movement now. :smt003

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:26 am

Gio wrote:
mangocrazy wrote:Hi Gio, not sure if you're aware , but Dunlop released the Road Smart 3 last year; sounds like it would suit the BB very well:

Yes I was aware, thing is they are even more pointier than the 2's, think its becuse it gets more rubber down in the bends and I'm not an aggressive enough rider to get the best out of them. In fact I'd go as far as to say my next bike might well be a goldwing as I like the laid back lazy approach to movement now. :smt003
Fair enough, can quite undestand your reasoning. I think they also make the front profile pointier so it makes bigger, heavier bikes easier to turn by sharpening up the steering. If you don't want that, no point in paying extra for it...

Gio
Double World Champion

#12 Post by Gio » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm

mangocrazy wrote:
Gio wrote:

Fair enough, can quite undestand your reasoning. I think they also make the front profile pointier so it makes bigger, heavier bikes easier to turn by sharpening up the steering. If you don't want that, no point in paying extra for it...
By the time I'm finished ith the bike I'd want to get it down to around the 187kg weight of my old BB, maybe even a little less as its injected not carbed.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Jeez - so you're intending to chop around 40kg off the weight? How on earth would you do that?

Gio
Double World Champion

#14 Post by Gio » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:17 am

mangocrazy wrote:Jeez - so you're intending to chop around 40kg off the weight? How on earth would you do that?
Original exhausts gone replaced with lightweight ones saves around 12kg, ditch the centre stand 10kg. all Honda bolts replaced with ss/titanium bolts and buttons 7kg. braided hoses instead of the rubbish rubber ones 1kg. new suspension, not sure the saving at the moment but last time it was around 4kg. New freeflow airbox about 3kg. The trouble with the BB is its over engineered. I might even change the disks as the standard are very heavy, which could save 2 or 3 kg.
I'm going to have a look at new injectors as well just to see if anything can be saved there. as for costs this bike will be mine for at least 7 or 8 years so cost is immaterial, but I'd guess around 2.5-3k, but so what its my hobby, lot cheaper than a family holiday :smt005

The other thing that'll happen is I'll shorten the wheelbase by abut 2 inches, admittedly it means less chain life but I got 16000 miles out of my old BB's.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:07 am

Centre stand 10kg? Good grief. Is it made from solid cast iron? :smt003

Doesn't junking all the linked brake bollocks save a fair bit of weight as well?