DAS Mod 2 Passed.......

If you're about to enter the wonderful world of motorcycling or you've recently passed your test, get advice and tips here. No question too daft!
Gio
Double World Champion

#31 Post by Gio » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:32 pm

D-Rider wrote:
JeanLucRidehard wrote:.....where did the years go ?, I'm 44 now
Where indeed did the years go ..... when I started riding, you were the grand old age of 1 .....

:smt009

..... mind you, the bike tests were a bit more straightforward in those days ....

And the bikes broke down far more often :smt005

JeanLucRidehard
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#32 Post by JeanLucRidehard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:44 pm

D-Rider wrote:
JeanLucRidehard wrote:.....where did the years go ?, I'm 44 now
Where indeed did the years go ..... when I started riding, you were the grand old age of 1 .....

:smt009

..... mind you, the bike tests were a bit more straightforward in those days ....

Oh now I feel like the baby of the chat.... :smt119

Yeah from what I've been told they were much easier, not sure if it's a money making thing these days or rider development tho, hmmmmm

:smt017 :smt017
2107 Africa Twin, Falco purchased........Rebuild complete .....Rossi 2 the fastest, Revealed.......................

JeanLucRidehard
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#33 Post by JeanLucRidehard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:47 pm

BikerGran wrote:44? I have a daughter older than you - now I KNOW I'm old!

BG

You're not old, just wise to the ways of the world my friend...

Age is beauty and beauty is ageless :smt008
2107 Africa Twin, Falco purchased........Rebuild complete .....Rossi 2 the fastest, Revealed.......................

JeanLucRidehard
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#34 Post by JeanLucRidehard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:52 pm

So how's it going so far....

200 miles on the clock, lost the feeling in my hands twice, although I've only got summer gloves (noob), testicles froze solid today so now I'm a eunuch, colder than a bag of prawns in the second aisle of Iceland.......

But BOY OH BOY I LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt006

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#35 Post by BikerGran » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:54 pm

Invest in some winter gloves my friend - that moment when you're haring along the motorway and see a sign that says your turnoff is coming up and you think HELP! How am I going to move my hands to operate the clutch! - it's one of those scary moments, believe me, been there!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

JeanLucRidehard
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#36 Post by JeanLucRidehard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:59 pm

BikerGran wrote:Invest in some winter gloves my friend - that moment when you're haring along the motorway and see a sign that says your turnoff is coming up and you think HELP! How am I going to move my hands to operate the clutch! - it's one of those scary moments, believe me, been there!

Sound advice BG, I've been and tried some on today, ordered some they should be in on Thursday this week....

:smt002

Gio
Double World Champion

#37 Post by Gio » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:04 am

Heated grips as well, lot better than hand guards, but both are good and I only use summer gloves the thick things lack feel.

JeanLucRidehard
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#38 Post by JeanLucRidehard » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Gio wrote:Heated grips as well, lot better than hand guards, but both are good and I only use summer gloves the thick things lack feel.

Hi Gio

Heated grips are on, but the gloves are textile so the backs of the hands were numbs, was thinking hand guards as the next option, I agree on the gloves thing, it was like wearing a duvet when I tried the winter gloves on :smt009

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#39 Post by BikerGran » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:15 pm

They vary a lot, over the years I've had lots of different ones, none of them were waterproof till I bought a pair that didn't CLAIM to be waterproof - have to admit they were the first pair that didn't come out of the 'bargain basket' when I was browsing a shop waiting to be served or whatever.

But Marigolds inside the gloves are a treat for keeping hands warm and dry!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#40 Post by D-Rider » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:49 am

The past couple of mornings have reminded me that I need some new winter gloves. So much so that I found my old ones with a ripped palm and opted for a bit more warmth over protection this morning.
As for heated grips - my (supposedly better) Oxford Hot Grips are definitely not as warm as my previous ones were.

Glad I only have a short commute!
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

JeanLucRidehard
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#41 Post by JeanLucRidehard » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:58 pm

BikerGran wrote:They vary a lot, over the years I've had lots of different ones, none of them were waterproof till I bought a pair that didn't CLAIM to be waterproof - have to admit they were the first pair that didn't come out of the 'bargain basket' when I was browsing a shop waiting to be served or whatever.

But Marigolds inside the gloves are a treat for keeping hands warm and dry!

The ones I'm looking at are £100, not ridiculous, but not cheap either, it's the feel I don't like, but I'll give them a go, Marigolds inside the gloves, now that's worth a shot..... :smt008

JeanLucRidehard
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#42 Post by JeanLucRidehard » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:00 pm

D-Rider wrote:The past couple of mornings have reminded me that I need some new winter gloves. So much so that I found my old ones with a ripped palm and opted for a bit more warmth over protection this morning.
As for heated grips - my (supposedly better) Oxford Hot Grips are definitely not as warm as my previous ones were.

Glad I only have a short commute!

I opt d for the Oxford heated grips over the standard Honda ones, the are good but not sure how the compare to Honda, although they were £90 cheaper so worth a shot :smt006

Gio
Double World Champion

#43 Post by Gio » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:58 pm

Don't know if they'll fit another bike but the BMW ones are very good.

JeanLucRidehard
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#44 Post by JeanLucRidehard » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:13 pm

Gio wrote:Don't know if they'll fit another bike but the BMW ones are very good.

Cheers Gio I'll look into that :smt002

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#45 Post by Dalemac » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:44 pm

For hated grips lok no further than Daytona.