World Champion

#16 Post by blinkey501 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:57 pm

How much it cost to buy the domain?
Tolerance will be our undoing.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#17 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:52 pm

You don't actually buy a domain, you 'lease' it from the domain name 'registrar'. In the UK this is an organisation called Nominet. You don't deal direct with Nominet, you go through agents who organise the lease on your behalf. In most cases you can take out multi-year leases on a domain name up to (I think) 5 years, which may be cheaper.

blinkey501
World Champion

#18 Post by blinkey501 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:49 pm

mangocrazy wrote:You don't actually buy a domain, you 'lease' it from the domain name 'registrar'. In the UK this is an organisation called Nominet. You don't deal direct with Nominet, you go through agents who organise the lease on your behalf. In most cases you can take out multi-year leases on a domain name up to (I think) 5 years, which may be cheaper.
Five year lease sounds good.
I will chip in 100 quid for the cause if in the long run it works out cheaper?
Tolerance will be our undoing.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#19 Post by HisNibbs » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Another few quids in the tin. :smt002
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#20 Post by HisNibbs » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:47 pm

The forum is I think a php application so shouldn't require a great deal of infrastructure to support the website.

My website and Domain only costs around £20 a year, so why is this so expensive?
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#21 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Probably historical I suspect, Keith. Domain and hosting charges have decreased with competition, but we're probably paying prices that were current 10 years ago. I've seen .co.uk domains for as cheap as £5 per year. I think there are savings to be made. We only need one domain, and we can probably get it cheaper if we shop around.

Gio
Double World Champion

#22 Post by Gio » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:20 am

mangocrazy wrote:Probably historical I suspect, Keith. Domain and hosting charges have decreased with competition, but we're probably paying prices that were current 10 years ago. I've seen .co.uk domains for as cheap as £5 per year. I think there are savings to be made. We only need one domain, and we can probably get it cheaper if we shop around.
For our name we pay £1 a year to keep it current. We payed for 10 years a long time ago but that was because I didn't want to bother about re registration every year. Now its going to die around the 1st December so need to get a new email address.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#23 Post by D-Rider » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:41 am

I agree with mango.
I think the issue is that we've never really been aware of costs before and how they stack up competitively these days.
Once our head is back above water we'll have a look at these things and utilise the expertise we have on the forum to sort it out.
With the way folks are pulling together, I think the future is bright ..... we certainly have an Orange logo .....
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#24 Post by Greg » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:59 pm

Just dropped my bit in ...

Gio
Double World Champion

#25 Post by Gio » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:51 pm

D-Rider wrote:I agree with mango.
I think the issue is that we've never really been aware of costs before and how they stack up competitively these days.
Once our head is back above water we'll have a look at these things and utilise the expertise we have on the forum to sort it out.
With the way folks are pulling together, I think the future is bright ..... we certainly have an Orange logo .....
orange, ORANGE, ORANGE, you Sir are a philistine its MANGO :smt002

wayno
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#26 Post by wayno » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:58 am

Donation sent, if you're buying sweeties I like the white mice best :)
Pass me a hammer, a spanner and a cuppa

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#27 Post by BikerGran » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:26 pm

Surely it's not the name that costs the money, it's the hosting which is a seperate thing?
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#28 Post by D-Rider » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Back to the main topic:

First of all, thanks to everyone who has donated so far - we have collected enough to make an initial payment of £470. I paid that tonight.
To get us paid-up until the end of the year we need to find another £50 ... so we're doing well but if you haven't yet contributed, we are still in need of some funds.

As I said before we also need to get a bit ahead of the game so that we're not in arrears again.

Following the discussions on here and those that some of us have also been having in the admin team, we're looking at the whole hosting thing and the potential to move onto a more versatile forum platform - and possibly have forum storage for files and pics etc.
Please bear with us while we think about this - but don't worry, we'll not go and make wholesale changes without consulting the forum. One reason for mentioning this is that if we do migrate things, we will have some setup costs that we will have to cover in advance. Again, we're not in a position to say how much these might be - or if we will need to go down that route. Just a heads-up to prepare us.

Anyway, thanks again for making a big dent in the amount we owe.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#29 Post by BikerGran » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:24 pm

The fact that so much has been raised so quickly shows how much this forum is valued!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Willopotomas
GP Racer
GP Racer

#30 Post by Willopotomas » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:19 pm

Segway.. If you're reading this, HANDS OFF!! :smt005 :smt005
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handle bars to the saddle.