Updates..

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#31 Post by morepower » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:55 am

OK Viking. I have now done the tank base and sorted out the pivot tube. I have got the new method of locating the tube sorted. The mould maker only put an M6 threaded insert into the mould and didnt think about the 18mm tube I needed to fit. I think he was looking at me just running a tube with a 6mm bore through the tank but I wanted to keep the rubber mount. So now I use an removable 18mm alloy boss to run a shoulder into the tank pivot point and once the two bosses I can slide the tube through perfectly and it gives a wider bonding area too. Bonus.

The base mould had to be modified this week as the first two bases were a real pain to remove from the mould and it seems the shallow indentation in the mould was wider and deeper than we imagined so it was locking the base onto the mould and with there being a small high spot just above the indentation it was too much for the mould to allow the bases off without a fight. So it was taking 30 minutes to demould the base using wedges and a mallet and once I had loosened every bit I could I would have to let the mould go cold (not a good practice) to let the mould shrink (carbon does not shrink) and hope it would let the base come away. So I filled and smoothed then polished the mould up before releasing the surface with chemical release agents. So it took 3 days to modify the base mould but today it took me about 10 minutes to remove the base from a hot mould. Just a little pressure on the jacking point and running thin spreaders round the flange of the tank was enough to allow air into the mould and just as it cooled a little the base popped from the mould with no extra effort. So now it seems all of the fine tuning of the main parts has been done. Now I need to put the inserts in for the fuel pump and front bracket then seal and bond the base into the tank...

Here are the photos from yesterdays bagging and the base after releasing it about 40 minutes ago.

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#32 Post by Viking » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:56 pm

That looks bloody awesome. :smt003 :smt007

Thanks for the update - a lovely bit of news on a Friday night!
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#33 Post by morepower » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Ok not an amazing update. But there is an update. The tank shell now has all of the inserts fitted for the fuel pump and the front bracket. The tank base has been sealed and stiffened up in a couple of places as I felt it flexed a little more than I like but I needed to allow some flex just in case the base was still hard to remove from the mould. The two sections will be ready to be bonded once the shell has been sealed. I will have it sealed by the end of the day and possibly bonded up by lunch time tomorrow. Then it will just be 24 hours in the oven to fully cure the sealer and adhesive.

Sorry its a crappy photo. The phone hates taking photos of black things and it gets a little bit confused..

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#34 Post by morepower » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Ok.. I have now started tank number 4 and have the shell made. I have put the first coat of lacquer on the shell just to save a bit of time while I finish off tank number 3 and tank 2 ( Andy's tank). I am just waiting for some ultra fine wet and dry sanding discs to arrive to finish off two of the tanks. So now is time for the next name to be put forward... I want to get a little production line going and get them out at least one per week from next week onwards, if I can.

They will both need sanding and polishing too.. One has just had the first coat the other has just had its second one..

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#35 Post by Viking » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:49 am

Hi Richard,

Any update on getting the shipping to Oz priced?

Cheers,
V
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#36 Post by D-Rider » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:38 pm

Woo Hoo !

I've got my tank!

Rich popped round tonight to drop it off. Not sure when I'm going to get a chance to fit it - weekends are a bit busy at the moment - however it's here and looking good.

I understand Viking's tank is almost ready to ship - I guess Rich will be back to you with shipping costs fairly soon.

Rich was asking who wants the next one after Viking ..... so who wants the next one?

Yes they've taken a fair bit longer than was anticipated - there have been a fair number of problems that have come as a bit of a surprise but the orders are now progressing and people will be getting them in a steady stream.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#37 Post by Firestarter » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:48 am

I'm game, but in no mad rush. I might be looking to get mine painted, mainly to try and cover the seam along the top of the tank, unless the later tanks are blending it a bit better. It looks like quite a hard line to me (on the left-hand tank in the pic above) but might not be quite as obvious on the right-hand tank in the pic, possibly cos of the 2nd coat applied?

That said, I use a Bagster harness so the tank is mostly covered up anyway!

Any further pics of the finished product you've received DR?
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#38 Post by Viking » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:52 am

Firestarter wrote:That said, I use a Bagster harness so the tank is mostly covered up anyway!
That's blasphemy, sacrilegious, and downright offensive. Such works of art should not be hidden away from admiring eyes!

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#39 Post by D-Rider » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:50 pm

Firestarter wrote:I'm game, but in no mad rush. I might be looking to get mine painted, mainly to try and cover the seam along the top of the tank, unless the later tanks are blending it a bit better. It looks like quite a hard line to me (on the left-hand tank in the pic above) but might not be quite as obvious on the right-hand tank in the pic, possibly cos of the 2nd coat applied?
It is still there but much more blended than the earlier pictures. Due to the way it's had to be made, it's unavoidable.
I have thought I might run some rim tape along it to hide it as that would be a good and cheap solution.

No, don't worry, I was only joking

I guess I may consider a bit of paint but if I did, I would certainly leave most of the carbon exposed - it does look very nice. I guess it's also important to consider how it may look on the bike - taking in the whole thing rather than looking just at that join itself.
Firestarter wrote: That said, I use a Bagster harness so the tank is mostly covered up anyway!
What Viking said!
Firestarter wrote: Any further pics of the finished product you've received DR?
When I get a chance to take some, I'll post some up .... not sure how soon I can manage that
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#40 Post by morepower » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:29 pm

The seam has to be there sadly as it is where the sides of the mould join the top section. So you get excess resin making a flashing between the flange joints. Sanding it back totally flat is possible but you have .01 to .02mm of resin on the surface so even 800 grit wet and dry would hit the carbon either side of the join almost instantly and damage the top of the fibres and cause the lacquer to react on the woven cloth strands. So I bury it under the lacquer as much as possible without making it look fake and like it is drenched in clear coat.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#41 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:07 am

Hi Richard, thinking ahead here, but would it be possible to blend the seam into the tank with a small amount of judiciously applied filler if you were partially painting the tank? It would be a crime to paint it completely, as you want to show off the lovely carbon goodness, but I also use a Baglux harness and I'm thinking of cutting it back on the sides of the tank to show off the carbon. But the seam would be almost completely hidden by the harness.

I can hear the howls of outrage from here...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#42 Post by D-Rider » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:12 pm

mangocrazy wrote:Hi Richard, thinking ahead here, but would it be possible to blend the seam into the tank with a small amount of judiciously applied filler if you were partially painting the tank? It would be a crime to paint it completely, as you want to show off the lovely carbon goodness, but I also use a Baglux harness and I'm thinking of cutting it back on the sides of the tank to show off the carbon. But the seam would be almost completely hidden by the harness.

I can hear the howls of outrage from here...
Hi Graham - I don't think that filler is going to get you anywhere - Rich has already done a great job of blending it in - you can barely feel it with your fingers.
I'll try to get some pics of my tank soon - I hope they will show the finished effect - also, don't forget that we usually look at tanks from above - seldom from a point level with that seam (which really is much less noticeable - though will never be hidden completely ... other than by paint or baglux covers if people choose to do so).
-- Albert Einstein

morepower
Carbon-Based Life Form

#43 Post by morepower » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:51 pm

Andy is right. The seam is visible simply because of the change of direction of the weave it make it look more obvious. But there is a LOT of lacquer over the seam to smooth it out...
So here is tank number 3 which now just needs to be machine polished...

If you see the 250 tanks then it would be an obsessive compulsive's worst nightmare.... lol
THE 250 tanks have a change of direction on the top as well as the sides...

This would really mess with your mind too..... haha..

So anyway... The next tank is ready for its final polish, leak test and tomorrow I will be sorting out the cost to ship it and it will be ready to ship from friday....

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#44 Post by D-Rider » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Another pic that Rich posted up today:

Very nice
-- Albert Einstein

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#45 Post by Viking » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:14 am

D-Rider wrote:Very nice
Understatement of the year!