Sepang

The forum to discuss the latest developments in motorcycle racing. The bikes, the riders, the action!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

fatboy
World Champion

Sepang

#1 Post by fatboy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:10 pm

What did you make of the Rossi/Marquez incident?
My own opinion is that Marquez gave Rossi no other option.
Now going to look what's on YouTube and see if anything sheds further light.....
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by D-Rider » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:57 pm

I seem to be in a minority but the evidence of my eyes watching replay after replay is that it is entirely down to Rossi.

I can't believe the leniency of the punishment.

Certainly no longer in the frame to be considered the GOAT.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#3 Post by BikerGran » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Having watched a You Tube video several times, showing it from several angles, I concluded that it was a matter of self-preservation for Rossi.

I've since seen a post elsewhere from someone who saw it in person who reckoned that Rossi didn't kick, his foot was knocked off the footpeg. Can't comment on that as I wasn't there.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#4 Post by HisNibbs » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Looks different from different angles but having looked at a few it looks to me like Rossi was riding a blocking line, they had been doing similar even worse to each other earlier, this just looked more calculated to block. Looked to me like Marquez had the choice to back off but instead leaned on Rossi and then lost it.

Rossi hadn't actually forced him off track, maybe he was going to if Marquez had hung in there. The leg off the peg from Rossi was a result of being leaned on and not a deliberate attempt to knock Marquez off.

So though I usually like to go against the flow, I don't think he should have been penalized at all. In the circumstances Marquez should have given him three of four laps to see if he could make any progress on Lorenzo before messing him about and contesting 3rd like it was a last lap, not even half way into the race.
Last edited by HisNibbs on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#5 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:59 pm

I think Marquez impacted / touched Rossi first - that caused the leg movement

But

Rossi was pushing him wide

Was Marquez only riding v Rossi? Personally I think so

https://m.motomatters.com/analysis/2015 ... who_h.html

Has I think the most balanced view

And I don't think this is over

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:40 pm

Agree with Keith and Pete. In the last few micro-seconds before MM went down he was leaning quite heavily on Rossi, who then moved his knee in a 'get off me' kind of movement. Certainly not a kick, and probably instinctive. As Keith says, MM was riding like it was the last lap of the race, not the 6th/7th.

And the self-righteous posturing from Lorenzo and Repsol make for vomit-inducing reading. The only balanced view among the riders came from Pedrosa.

wayno
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#7 Post by wayno » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:16 am

I think Rossi should be ashamed of himself, it was a deliberate run wide, whether he meant to cause a crash he certainly wanted Marquez off track
Pass me a hammer, a spanner and a cuppa

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#8 Post by Dalemac » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:53 am

https://www.facebook.com/spamsafe/video ... 685368253/

See all of the angles before making a decision.

It was definitely rossi's line, and running people wide is part of racing. It has happened in every racing category ever created.

Marquez leaned onto rossi's leg to try to destabilize Rossi. Rossi pushed back, Marquez lost out. Both are equally guilty and any punishment should apply to neither or both.

There was plenty of run off, marques could have quite easily backed off and kept himself in the race. Instead he decided to lean in and cause the contact. It seems pretty clear his intention this weekend was to mess with Rossi (look at his stalking earlier on in the weekend), forcing a crash or anything else to hurt Rossi's attempt on the championship to help Lorenzo win the championship.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#9 Post by HisNibbs » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Looked at it again and a few corners earlier Marquez did a similar if not worse blocking pass on Rossi only difference being Rossi had to accept it and back off until Marquez cleared out. Only differencein the incident was that Marqeze didn't accept it and effectively rode into Rossi.

This type of fairing banging goes on all the time and I don't think Rossi's position or line was at all extreme. Marquez lost out but he made his choices and paid the price. IMO Rossi's error was off track in making an issue of the fact that Marquez was targeting him so every one was so wound up and looking to sensationalize events.
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

fatboy
World Champion

#10 Post by fatboy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:34 pm

After w watching many views of this,MM caused the contact, his own greed exceeded his ability execute the pass.
As others have said, why pull a 'last lap stunt at that time?
Pity it happened at all.
Be interesting to see how sympathetic all the other riders are to Rossi in Valencia when he starts at the back

fatboy
World Champion

#11 Post by fatboy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:55 pm

Rossi is appealing the stewards decision to make him start from the back of the grid.
Hope he wins !

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by D-Rider » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:24 pm

fatboy wrote: Be interesting to see how sympathetic all the other riders are to Rossi in Valencia when he starts at the back
Hopefully not at all - shameful cheat
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:51 pm

D-Rider wrote:
fatboy wrote: Be interesting to see how sympathetic all the other riders are to Rossi in Valencia when he starts at the back
How did he cheat?

Running someone wide is done in every race class in every racing discipline worldwide. Just watch the first corner in last weekend's Austin F1 race - no sanction applied there. And that was the sum total of Rossi's misdemeanour.

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#14 Post by Firestarter » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:34 pm

Unsportsmanlike? Maybe. Cheat? Don't think so, what exactly did he do that is against the rule book? Marquez didn't get run off the track, he got run wide. He didn't leave the track until after he'd made first contact and got pushed back.

It all smacks of, this guy might win a 10th championship, but he's gonna retire soon and we can't make any more money from him. These others, they're gonna be here for a few years yet. Let's keep them happy so we can keep on milking them

Marquez I reckon has his eyes on the GOAT title. And 9 wins is easier to beat than 10 wins
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by D-Rider » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:39 am

mangocrazy wrote:
D-Rider wrote:
How did he cheat?

Running someone wide is done in every race class in every racing discipline worldwide. Just watch the first corner in last weekend's Austin F1 race - no sanction applied there. And that was the sum total of Rossi's misdemeanour.
Forceful knee into Marquez and his bike forcing him to crash.
Watched it time and again from angle after angle - the live broadcast and post race coverage was showing it over and over again.
I wasn't swayed by the commentators - I saw it with my eyes before they even noticed it.
-- Albert Einstein