Smart TVs?

If you're moments away from throwing your printer out of the window or re-arranging your desktop with a golf club, post your issues here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Smart TVs?

#1 Post by MartDude » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Are they worth having, or are they just a gimmick?

I need to replace our TV with one more suited to my failing hearing, and smart tellies don't seem hugely more expensive than the 'ordinary' kind.
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#2 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:37 pm

How fast is your broadband?

Do you have unlimited broadband?

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by MartDude » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:58 pm

1. Can't remember

2. Yes
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by D-Rider » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:10 pm

2 of my sons have smart TVs - I'll ask them whether they actually use any of the other features or just use their PCs for such things.

You'll probably find that Smart TVs come with a better range of input connections as a bit of a bonus (assuming you might use them)
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by MartDude » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:How fast is your broadband?

Do you have unlimited broadband?
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

Falconihlist
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#6 Post by Falconihlist » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:56 pm

I like that speed test

Got a Panasonic Vieara, and it does everything we need it to, and has most of the catch up stuff already loaded. Combined with Sky, it does the job nicely.
Black is fastest!

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by MartDude » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Current telly is a Panasonic Viera, but it's 7 - 8 years old, and it seems that current soundbars/speaker systems can't be connected without losing the remote volume control. Looked into connecting it to the hi-fi, but the same applies.
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

Irishness
Despatch Rider

#8 Post by Irishness » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:20 pm

One thing to note, most of the TV providers like BT and the like have BBC iPlayer and all that jazz. This is more or less what the "Smart TV" does.
IMO unless you're going to use the features more that BT/Sky/Virgin go for it otherwise just get a decent LED or the like.

PS Your DL and UL speed is fine and will run the features, having said that i EVERYONE in the house is online streaming videos or playing games it may hinder it a little!

PPS....Falconihlist: BT are giving you an upload speed that decent!!!!!?!?!?!?!

Falconihlist
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#9 Post by Falconihlist » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Yep, it's bloody mental, uploading videos off the phone is done in stupid quick time. Don't really have much need for uploading, but it makes backing up easier.
Black is fastest!

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#10 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:36 am

ok

what the smart tv would give you - as iirc you have generic tv, not sky or similar, is access to catch up - BBC i player, etc as well as access to love film and netflix

personally, for our family, we have both - mainly because the kids can access those by their consoles and watch what they wish

if i was forced to choose - netflix - every time - i like some of their home grown shows

other things are also available on smart tvs - facebook etc - but all much of a muchness if you have a pc

most manufacturers also have their own channels - sony have some form of sony tv channel for instance

if i was buying a new tv - i would buy a smart tv

i would probably also buy a 3d tv - NOT to necessarily watch 3d tv, but because the screen quality is often higher....

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#11 Post by randomsquid » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote: if i was forced to choose - netflix - every time - i like some of their home grown shows
Add a sub to http://www.unblock-us.com/ and you can watch the Netflix content for any country of your choosing. $5 a month.

See what's on where on http://www.moreflicks.com/
Where ever I lay my hat.....

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#12 Post by Falco Frank » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:27 pm

Same problem as OP with our Panasonic TV but went the soundbar route - ASDA had a great Sony with subwoofer but I missed out on the last one, £90 instead of £140 I think, as I couldnt remember if our TV had optical digital output.

Which it soddin does as it happens.

Trying a cheapy Polaroid £50, at the moment and considering its not big and has bluetooth - its not bad at all BUT in front of the TV its TOO TALL and blocks the IR sensor for the TV control...

However, Tesco's are selling (but sold out - Grrrrrr) of a crackin £70 Sharp, slimline soundbar that turns on automatically when it receives a signal input!

Might have to try that next.
01 Hyper Falco / 93 - 900ss Ducati (944cc)

My Ducati Alter-ego = Iconic944ss

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by D-Rider » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:23 pm

..... so am I the only person here with a classique crt type telly as their main tv?
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Falco Frank
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#14 Post by Falco Frank » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:14 am

If it makes you feel better, I download and watch more on our iPad than I do on a TV these days!
01 Hyper Falco / 93 - 900ss Ducati (944cc)

My Ducati Alter-ego = Iconic944ss

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:57 pm

D-Rider wrote:..... so am I the only person here with a classique crt type telly as their main tv?
No, you're not. I own two CRT tellies and they're both fine. No need to change as far as I'm concerned. And the monitor on my PC is also a CRT - a Dell 20 inch flatscreen jobbie with Trinitron tube and exceptional image quality.