Marches Meet 2013, 17th. - 19th. May - details

Organise meet-ups, ride-outs and trips to events with other RiderSite members.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Marches Meet 2013, 17th. - 19th. May - details

#1 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:12 am

All the info is in this thread. If I've forgotten anything, or if any of you have any questions or (useful!!) suggestions, please feel free to speak up.

For those who've been before, everything is pretty much the same as the last 2 years, except that we've been asked to set up in a sort of corral in 'our' corner, rather than spread along the length of the two adjacent hedges - more details in post No. 4. Oh, and they've recently had an unfortunate visit from a fox, so there's a few less chickens and ducks this year.

For those not familiar with this area, it's a quiet, peaceful, rural backwater, on the westernmost edge of Shropshire, where it meets mid-Wales. The scenery is wonderful, the atmosphere tranquil. It's also close to some of the best biking roads in the country. And you'll be in very good company. The Marches Meet is a very pleasant opportunity to meet your fellow RS members, and to put faces to names.
Last edited by MartDude on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:13 am

Clun Valley Camping, Newcastle-on Clun, Shropshire, SY7 8QL

http://www.clunvalleycamping.co.uk/

Location : http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?module ... 08647&z=12
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

MartDude
Admin
Admin

How to find the camp-site

#3 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 am

Clun Valley Camping, Newcastle-on Clun, Shropshire, SY7 8QL

From Clun Valley Camping's website : "Please note that some satnav units will direct drivers away from the B4368 and onto single track roads which can be a problem for those with trailers or caravans. You should stay on the B4368 from Clun until you arrive in Newcastle."

The main landmark is The Crown Inn (only pub in the village)

Coming from South/East (Clun, Craven Arms), turn R. immediately past The Crown

Coming from West (Newtown), turn L. immediately before The Crown

Follow the lane (West Rd.) for about 100 yards; turn R. at this cottage

then turn immediately L

Follow this lane for about 90 yards; our entrance to the site is through a gate on the left

Please enter the site via this route (see pic below), rather than from Church Road - there's a steep grassy bank to ride down if you go that way round.
Last edited by MartDude on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Our patch

#4 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:31 am

The camp site has asked that this year, we set up a corral in the corner of the site furthest from the entrance, i.e. around our catering area, under 'our' tree, so as to leave space for other visitors.

Last edited by MartDude on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Format

#5 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:32 am

Quite simple.

Turn up, pitch your tent or settle in at your B & B, Friday or Saturday

Natter, drink, natter, go to the pub for dinner, come back, natter, drink.

Saturday - breakfast, natter, have a ride-out (not compulsory), have a barbecue, go the pub, come back, drink and natter a bit more.

Sunday - breakfast, natter, pack up and go home

I will be there setting up from about 2.00 on Friday 17th.

Tea & coffee will be available constantly (help yourselves).

No need to bring your own cooking equipment, unless you prefer to.
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Camp site information

#6 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:35 am

There's ample space, and most of the site is flat. There's an entrance to the site, reached via a lane through the village, giving access to 'our' area; this will obviate the need to descend a grassy bank on our bikes. There are detailed directions above. I'll also try to arrange some signage from the main (?) road through the village.

The facilities, while not the last word in luxury, are more than adequate. There's a reaonably large, new, gents' toilet and shower block, a smaller ladies' toilet and shower block, plus an additional ladies' toilet, and a washing-up room (could double as a baby-changing area?). The gents' block is very clean, and is newly-equipped. The ladies' facilities, and the washing-up area have been refurbished.

Cost is £5.00 per adult per night; £2.50 per night for children.

The nearest dwellings, other than the owner's house, are a few hundred yards away; the nearest buildings are a nursery & community centre, which Dawn says are unlikely to be in use during our stay. However, we are expected to be reasonably quiet, especially at night.
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

MartDude
Admin
Admin

B & B

#7 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:36 am

The Crown Inn, Newcastle-on-Clun

http://www.crown-newcastle.com/

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl= ... 8901598495

There are only 3 rooms; book as early as possible, if you're interested.

The Crown is 2 or 3 minute's walk from the camp site.

Other B & B accommodation nearby

I don't have any more information on these places, so you'll have to research them yourselves if you're interested.

Spring Hill Farm - about 1.5 miles away : http://www.springhill-farm.org.uk/index.html

Newcastle Hall - about 3/4 mile away (Gill & I stayed there 24 years ago, on our Offa's Dyke expedition - it was good then, but anywhere with a roof would have seemed heavenly, we were so drenched) :
Newcastle Hall Phyllis Reynolds Tel: 01588 640350

More places in the area on here http://www.clun.org.uk/accommodation.htm
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Getting through Clun . Important!

#8 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:40 am

For those coming from the Craven Arms side.

Clun itself may appear a little confusing; there are, initially, no signs to Newcastle on Clun.

When you get into Clun, turn Left, following the brown sign to Clun Castle/ road sign for A488

Follow this for a few hundred yards, bear left across the little bridge, then turn immediately Right; there's a sign for Newcastle here, and a brown sign for the castle.

Over the last few miles after Clun the road becomes increasingly narrow & twisty, barely two cars'-widths in places. Watch out for the usual rural hazards - mud/gravel washed out of farm entrances, cow-poo, farm machinery, slow & ancient Series 2 Land Rovers
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Catering

#9 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:45 am

Tea & coffee will be available on a help-yourself basis.

There will be cake and biscuits for those arriving on Friday afternoon.

Friday night, we will dine at The Crown (unless you don't want to, in which case you'll have to self-cater) - 2 minutes walk away. Varied menu, including vegetarian. Prices are, IIRC, quite reasonable for a rural pub, and there's a good selection of beers.

http://www.crown-newcastle.com/menus.php

Saturday morning - breakfast provided on-site - typical camping fare (I'll be asking for numbers nearer the time)

Saturday lunch - those on the ride-out, or doing a spot of sight-seeing, will fend for themselves. Those staying in the village - fend for yourself, or we'll improvise a collaborative effort - suggestions? The Crown doesn't do lunches on Saturdays.

Saturday evening - barbecue on the site, then pub (or BYOB on the site for those who prefer it). Keith, if you're coming, could you repeat your sloe gin conjuring trick?

Beer etc. - please bring enough for your personal needs. There'll be some provided, for those who can't carry much - wine, cider & lager. On Saturday there will be a shopping run, to get the grub for the barbecue & any additional beverages which might be required.

Sunday morning - breakfast, as Saturday.

Then pack up and go home. Or, would anyone fancy Sunday lunch at the Crown before leaving?
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Petrol

#10 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:47 am

There is no filling station in Newcastle-on-Clun.

The petrol station in Clun shuts at lunchtime on Saturday; I expect it'll shut at tea-time on Friday, & won't be open on Sunday. So, make sure you fill up before you get too far into banjo-country.

For those coming via the A49, nearest filling station is in Craven Arms, at the Harry Tuffins supermarket, a few hundred yards North of the mini-roundabout where you'll turn off towards Clun. There's also a pretty decent cafe there.

There's also the Harry Tuffins on the A49 on the edge of Ludlow (1st. roundabout on the outskirts of Ludlow, heading North - turn left), and another Tuffins in Cleobury Mortimer, on the left just as you're leaving the town towards Ludlow. All these three are open until 9.00 p.m.

If you're coming from the North, down the A49, and approach the venue via Bishops Castle, the last where place you can be reasonably sure of filling up is Church Stretton - filling station on the right, just past the crossroads with traffic lights, with the town centre to the right.

I'm afraid I have no information on filling stations on the Newtown side; if anyone can fill in this omission, I'd be grateful
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Costs

#11 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:49 am

Camping - £5.00 per person per night; children £2.50 per night. Please pay this directly to the camp-site proprietor, Dawn.

Catering - around £25.00 - £30.00 should cover everything - breakfasts, barbecue, tea/coffee, fuel) - obviously, less if you're only there for, say, Saturday night. If there's a surplus, it will go into RiderSite coffers, as last year. If you're doing some of your own catering, e.g. breakfasts, we'll haggle in a reasonable manner.
Last edited by MartDude on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

MartDude
Admin
Admin

Ride-out.

#12 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:51 am

TBA.

Looking for volunteers familiar with the area to lead
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

MartDude
Admin
Admin

That's all, folks . .

#13 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:52 am

. . . unless I've forgotten something.

As I said earlier, if there's anything you feel I've omitted, please feel free to point it out.
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

blinkey501
World Champion

#14 Post by blinkey501 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:30 am

Look forward to seeing you mart and the rest of the gang for a catch up :smt002
Tolerance will be our undoing.

Gio
Double World Champion

#15 Post by Gio » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Um is this the one I think it is?
A lady wrung me tonite :smt002 and i promised to get back to her in the morning, can't remebeer the name as I'm half plastered. or was it some other thread :smt017
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"