Seals etc for Brembo Brake & Clutch parts

The place to discuss any issues with your Aprilia, share tips and handy reference links

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

Seals etc for Brembo Brake & Clutch parts

#1 Post by D-Rider » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:55 pm

Brembo does not make service parts available for brakes fitted to Aprilias (and most other bikes).
  • General background information and how parts can be obtained through KTM can be found HERE

We have also begun to source compatible seals that can be uses to service our hydraulics.
    Information will be added as we discover it.
    The part numbers that have already been identified for compatible parts are:

Mille & Tuono 4-Pad Callipers (non-radial)

Falco Clutch Slave(I believe this is common to many V60 Aprilia twins)

Falco /pre 04 Mille/ pre 05 Tuono Rear Calliper (Kits)
[/quote]
... and here is the company's website in case the ebay listing above goes obsolete:
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by MartDude » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:21 am

Just been having an interesting e-mail conversation with the proprietor of a stockist in California (having failed to find anywhere in the UK or Europe). He reckons he can supply parts for just about any Brembo caliper; I've got to send him measurements & pics of the Fut calipers (I'm after seals) to confirm his provisional identification from the AF1 parts fiche.

His prices for seal kits are around £12.00 - £13.00 per kit, depending on model. Don't know about his shipping charges to the UK yet.

Fortunately for me, he was at work on a Sunday afternoon, and responded within minutes.

I'll keep you posted

http://www.bevelheaven.com/
Last edited by MartDude on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#3 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:08 am

he helped me in the past with some parts for my old ducati - good chap

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:13 am

As you say, Pete, he's a good chap - very efficient.

Well, the good news is he's got them in stock. He doesn't seem to have operate under the same restrictions as UK & other European distributors.

Bad news is he only sells the seals as part of a seal & piston kit; cost for 2 sets works out, with shipping, at £95.22 (at current exchange rates - $151.09), plus, of course the dreaded Import VAT & handling charge.

He says, under the entry in his catalogue " Although these are genuine Brembo items, they are not a readily available catalog Brembo part number. I don't know if I will be able to get more from Brembo..... ". Which strikes me as a little odd, as these calipers were also used on Ducati 748, 916, 996 and I think 998.

I've been asking around through my Ducati-owning friends, to see if they have an as yet un-disclosed secret supply.

BTW, does anyone know if these calipers (34 & 30 mm pistons, 4-piston, 2-pad, 2-pin, 65 mm. mount) were used on any other bikes, whether Aprilia or not? I know the Caponord ones are different.

It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm pretty sure that the basic calipers were used on a variety of bikes; as Mart says, Ducatis used them extensively. But I believe that the Ducati variants had 40mm mounting centres, rather than the 65mm centres that Aprilia used. I know this because I have fitted two generations of Brembo calipers to my old VFR750, and both sets of calipers came off a Ducati and both had 40mm mounting centres.

However the pistons, seals etc. should be identical. The only bits that were specifically altered for individual manufacturers were the mounting points. I'm also sure that I bought some equivalent KTM parts (seals, pistons etc) for these calipers when I fitted them to the trusty old VFR. It's away at the moment having some work done on the exhaust, but when I get it back I'll measure up piston sizes.

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks, Graham. I, and other Fut owners, would be grateful
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Just been revisting the ground I trod when searching for seals/pistons for my old Brembos and came up with this parts fiche on Speedaway's site:

http://www.speedaway.co.uk/part/816403/ ... /supermoto

I think the part you need is 58713021000 - REPAIR KIT 4 PISTON+GASKET for BRAKE CALIPER FRONT BREMBO 640 LC4 SUPERMOTO. That's one side only (the LC4 only had a single caliper), but with luck and a following wind you might be able to revive a pair of calipers with one seal/piston kit. And at £33.00 + VAT it's not stupidly expensive.

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by MartDude » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:11 pm

http://www.ams4ktm.co.uk/category/7-oem ... iche=34315

That's just there as a temporary reminder for me. Just wondering why Speedaway ask for the chassis number. They can be funny buggers sometimes
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:33 pm

With my reasonable head on, it's just cos they want to make sure you get the correct parts.

With my conspiratorial head on, it's because they suspect we're buying Brembo bits for non-KTM motorcycles...

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by MartDude » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 pm

mangocrazy wrote:With my reasonable head on, it's just cos they want to make sure you get the correct parts.

With my conspiratorial head on, it's because they suspect we're buying Brembo bits for non-KTM motorcycles...
No, they're just c**ts. Had unsatisfactory dealings with them in the past; snotty gits, they are.

Anyway, someone on another forum gave me this link to try http://www.powerhouseautomotive.co.uk/c ... shire.html

Their response was ''I think we probably can - I’ll get back to you tomorrow when I’ve checked." Fingers crossed.

I don't actually need any right now - but I feel it might be worth putting a couple of sets by, as Futura service parts are getting harder to come by. Speedaway don't even list the Futura any more (did I tell you they're c**ts?). And others will find the info useful too.

Anyway, why should it matter to them if someone buys a part for a non-KTM bike? Is it something to do with the agreement between Brembo & KTM?
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:28 am

That's an interesting link, Mart - they're only 2 or 3 miles away from us... Might pop in with some brake seals and pistons and see if they can match them up.

Never had personal dealings with Speedaway, but I'll take your word for it. C**ts they are, then.

It wouldn't matter to me in the slightest whether someone was buying KTM parts for an Aprilia, but to some jobsworth types it does, I guess.

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by MartDude » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Well, Power House say they can supply them; here's their e-mail

"Sorry for the delay, we lost internet for 2 days!

Yes we can, I’ll list an ad for them on eBay over the next few days, or you’re welcome to call on Monday to order. Brembo seals are a bit more expensive than Japanese so the kit price is £52 to include main dust & pressure seals, caliper joint seals and fresh banjo washers. Covers both calipers.

Regards,

Lawson"

But, to be certain, this needs to be checked. Graham, er . . .
Might pop in with some brake seals and pistons and see if they can match them up.
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:26 pm

I took the easy way out and gave him a ring. When I told him about the prices we're getting Brembo parts for via KTM he was really surprised. These prices are low, apparently. His message was to stock up on parts you might need in the future, as one day KTM/Brembo will realise they have been (comparatively) undercharging for stuff.

Not quite what you wanted to hear, but...

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by MartDude » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for that, Graham. Another pint I owe you.

I think I might call on Speedaway, just to see how they react. I need to double-check that the piston sizes are the same, anyway.
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Mart - just a thought... Have you stripped the calipers down yet, and if so are you sure it's only the seals you need? When I stripped some 'eBay specials' I bought a while back, the Brembo calipers looked fine from the outside, but I wound up buying a piston and seal kit for one caliper and replacing the worst-affected items.

I can't remember whether it was the inner or outer pistons/seals that seemed to wear the worst, but either way I replaced the complete inner or outer set (whichever it was) on both sides.

There are plenty of other KTM dealers in the UK to try - no need to put business with Speedaway if they're twats... By the sound of it, KTM Brembo parts are cheaper than the ones Powerhouse can source.

And are your calipers the single pin or double pin Brembos? Different part numbers depending on model:

Service parts for OEM Falco Calipers - 2 pin pad
(as also fitted to 2003 KTM Duke II 640)

58713017000 BOLT WITH CLIP '99 £10.14
58713021000 REPAIR KIT SEAL.-RINGS DUKE 02 £10.20
58713019000 BRAKE PISTON DUKE 2002 £35.40

Service parts for old single-pin Brembo calipers (as fitted to older Ducatis)
Also fitted to 1998 KTM Duke-E 640 (GB)

58313205000 REPAIR KIT 4 PISTON+GASKET £38.64
58313210000 BOLT SET £8.34

All prices for one side (i.e. per caliper)