Seals etc for Brembo Brake & Clutch parts

The place to discuss any issues with your Aprilia, share tips and handy reference links

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#16 Post by MartDude » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Fut calipers are 2-pin. What are the Falco calipers' pistons? Just wondering if they're the same as the Fut (34 & 30), although the calipers themselves are different (presumably to match the larger diameter discs & different fork mountings); different part numbers
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#17 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:21 pm

OEM Falco caliper are 2 pin with 34/30 pistons, so it sounds like it's just the mounting arrangements that were changed for the Fut. Brembo do that quite a bit, I think. I know for a long time Ducati Brembos had 40mm mounting centres, while other Brembos had wider-spaced mountings.

zoidberg
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#18 Post by zoidberg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:05 pm

So which kit would my 01 Falco need with the std 2 pad calipers?

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#19 Post by Dalemac » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:20 pm

My front right caliper has started to weep from the top left piston :(

There is a seal kit on eBay for £48 for both calipers.

I haven't done this job before - is it difficult? Are any special tools required?

Thanks,

Dale

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#20 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:21 pm

The answer is - it depends... It depends on what (if any) snags you encounter. The only thing I'd say is that it may not just be the seal that's at fault, it may be one of the pistons that has worn or has a scrape/gouge in it. You'll only know after you've stripped them, unfortunately.

The most important part is to make sure that all the pistons are pumped out as far as you can before you dismantle or disconnect anything. I'd remove the pads, and mark them up; I just get a scraper and mark them LI/LO and RI/RO (right inner, right outer, left inner, left outer) so that the pads match up to the discs on reassembly. If you're fitting new pads, you can ignore that step.

Then get yourself a piece of wood about 5-6mm thick 40mm deep and 100mm long and fit that in the groove that the disc normally occupies. Tie a rubber band around the caliper and block of wood so the block of wood can't drop out, then gently pump the pistons out, one side at a time. You'll find the one or two pistons will always pump out easier than the rest and there's normally 1 (or 2) that don't want to pump out.

The piece of wood stops the 'loose' pistons from popping out completely, and allow the 'slow' ones to catch up without losing all the brake fluid. It's at that point that I tend to remove the block of wood and pump again. This normally means at least one of the pistons pops out, followed by brake fluid, so have something handy to catch the old brake fluid in. Then detach the caliper from the hose and split the caliper. If I'm reusing the pistons I also mark up which piston corresponds to which bore, although that's probably not as important as marking up the pads.

This is another way of doing essentially the same thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jp2OCidBV4

The ony tool that might be useful is a piston remover tool - something like this:

http://www.motobrakes.co.uk/brake-calip ... -tool.html?

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#21 Post by randomsquid » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Dalemac wrote:
I haven't done this job before - is it difficult? Are any special tools required?
Haven't had to do the Falco ones yet but generally it isn't a big job. Just be methodical and clean everything well before reassembly. The most advanced tool I've ever used was a common or garden g-clamp for reseating big pistons or holding one in place while I popped his sticky brother. I've had to hacksaw pins out of old twin piston brembos before now though, and go at stuck sliding calipers with a mallet.

There was a write up for these callipers somewhere on the net, might have been on RSVR.net.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#22 Post by Dalemac » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Cheers Mangocrazy. None of the pistons are actually seized in - I checked this morning using the standard piece of wood tip you described.

Don't think i'll need the piston pulling tool tbh.

Seems pretty straight forward - May as well buy the complete piston seal set and replace the lot - saves the hassle of doing it again when the other side goes pop in two months time....

So, last question - did anyone find a source of the set cheaper than £48?

Dale

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#23 Post by Dalemac » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:37 pm

randomsquid wrote:
Dalemac wrote:
Haven't had to do the Falco ones yet but generally it isn't a big job. Just be methodical and clean everything well before reassembly. The most advanced tool I've ever used was a common or garden g-clamp for reseating big pistons or holding one in place while I popped his sticky brother. I've had to hacksaw pins out of old twin piston brembos before now though, and go at stuck sliding calipers with a mallet.

There was a write up for these callipers somewhere on the net, might have been on RSVR.net.
Yes, the pins can be a nightmare - I usually remove the 'R' clips and them hammer the pins out. Going to add it to my monthly job list to remove and grease them from now on to prevent having to do that in the future!

fatboy
World Champion

#24 Post by fatboy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Maybe worth mentioning a few things here....
If you are using compressed air to shift a stubborn piston, make sure you have some way of safely stopping the piston when it does release, other than a Velux roof window !
Make sure everything is surgically clean, use meths to wash crap off.
Rebuild using brake fluid to lube new seals and red or white rubber grease for dust boots. Dont be shy with the rubber grease, use it anywhere yo expect corrosion.
Finally, could any of our lathe miesters be persuaded to turn up stainless pins ?
I' d buy a full set !
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#25 Post by Dalemac » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:27 pm

fatboy wrote:Maybe worth mentioning a few things here....
If you are using compressed air to shift a stubborn piston, make sure you have some way of safely stopping the piston when it does release, other than a Velux roof window !
Make sure everything is surgically clean, use meths to wash crap off.
Rebuild using brake fluid to lube new seals and red or white rubber grease for dust boots. Dont be shy with the rubber grease, use it anywhere yo expect corrosion.
Finally, could any of our lathe miesters be persuaded to turn up stainless pins ?
I' d buy a full set !
Ahh, i'll have to pick up some methylated spirits and silicone grease tomorrow. Thanks for the hints!

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#26 Post by randomsquid » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:52 pm

If your work has an account with RS components they do silicon grease in a big tube for the same amount as a piddling sachet from a motor factors.

As Fatboy said, I'm also a big fan of red rubber grease.

I bought some Wynn's brake and clutch cleaner from Halfords this weekend. Blasts the shit off stuff in an impressive fashion. Also dissolves Asda disposable gloves. And is mildly painful when you spray yourself in the eye with it.

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#27 Post by MartDude » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:05 pm

randomsquid wrote:
I'm also a big fan of red rubber grease.
As are sheep, so I'm told
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#28 Post by randomsquid » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:55 pm

MartDude wrote:
randomsquid wrote:
I'm also a big fan of red rubber grease.
As are sheep, so I'm told
Wouldn't know. Flatlander would be your best bet to ask.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#29 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:41 pm

I had heard that you had shifted your attention to goats now....

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#30 Post by randomsquid » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:I had heard that you had shifted your attention to goats now....
Nah, small Italian MotoGP riders don't really do it for me.