Sidestand Switch - Low Cost Option

The place to discuss any issues with your Aprilia, share tips and handy reference links

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

Sidestand Switch - Low Cost Option

#1 Post by D-Rider » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:03 pm

Occasionally Sidestand Switches fail and it can come as an expensive surprise to discover that a new replacement may cost you approx £60 plus delivery.

The good news is that I have found a low cost alternative for Falco / Futura / Gen1 Mille / Gen1 Tuono .... courtesy of a budget Chinese scooter ....

The switch from the Sukida Roma 50 bolts straight on and with bit of a swap over of the wires in the connector, it works perfectly .... for the princely sum of about £6.95 plus delivery.

Here's what you do.
  • Buy yourself a Sukida Roma 50 Sidestand Switch - I bought mine from Euro Scooter Parts on Ebay
    Take a look at its connector, it will look like this:
    Note: The centre wire is actually White & Green (not just white)
    Two of the wires need to be swapped over.
    With a very small jewellers screwdriver pushed in the end of the connector in the position shown, you can free the connector pin and back it out of the connector.
    The two wires that need swapping are the Black&White wire and the Green&White wire. When it's done, it should look like this:
    Bolt the switch to the sidestand, plug in the connector and the job's a goodun ..... with enough cash saved to buy me a beer or ten for helping you save so much money
    :smt003

Now there is one more thing you can do that might be of help in the future.
Take your old, broken Falco / Futura / Gen1 Mille / Gen1 Tuono sidestand switch and cut off the connector.
Solder the outer two wires together (Black wire and Brown wire) and insulate the solder joint.
Pop this in your tool roll under your seat hump.
If your sidestand switch fails again (not the light but the engine cut out), then just disconnect the switch and plug in the little emergency connector you've just made. This will keep you going until you get a new switch .... though be careful as you will no longer have the safety feature of the sidestand cut-out.
Last edited by D-Rider on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:18 pm

Nice one, Andy... :smt023

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#3 Post by Dalemac » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Excellent :D

zoidberg
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

Re: Sidestand Switch - Low Cost Option

#4 Post by zoidberg » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:26 pm

D-Rider wrote: Now there is one more thing you can do that might be of help in the future.
Take your old, broken Falco / Futura / Gen1 Mille / Gen1 Tuono sidestand switch and cut off the connector.
Solder the outer two wires together (Black wire and Brown wire) and insulate the solder joint.
Pop this in your tool roll under your seat hump.
If your sidestand switch fails again (not the light but the engine cut out), then just disconnect the switch and plug in the little emergency connector you've just made. This will keep you going until you get a new switch .... though be careful as you will no longer have the safety feature of the sidestand cut-out.
i did this with a keyring when my switch failed on my RS125. i was stuck in the middle of nowhere for a good while before i figured it out.

fatboy
World Champion

#5 Post by fatboy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Excellant stuf D-R !
I put my boot heel through the middle of the switch, ordered a new one and was told to expect 2 or 3 weeks, the guy in the shop must have heard my pain then said' Try connecting the two outer wires together, or is it all three ?'
I can tell you all three wires connected does work
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Galileo
Despatch Rider

#6 Post by Galileo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:02 pm

Fancied an early evening ride on the Falco last night so wheeled bike from shed, got gear on, pressed starter and zilch.

Had fitted some under seat straps for luggage the previous evening so checked all wiring in case I'd nicked one but all ok. Virtually new battery so discounted that.

For some reason I kicked up side stand and she fired up, ran perfectly but neutral light was flickering. Took bike for a ride and now all is normal.

Are these symptoms of an imminent switch failure?

Will order up one of these switches as a precaution but has anyone had similar problems?

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by D-Rider » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Just in case anyone wants one ready made and fully tested, I do have a stock of 15 of these (well my son does to try to earn himself a bit of money).

So, a 100% compatible sidestand switch for:
  • Falco
    Gen1 Mille
    Gen1 Tuono
    Futura

(and a few more Aprilias)
100% individually tested (by myself)

£25 delivered within UK (a great deal cheaper than the £60 or there abouts for the OEM item)

They will be going on ebay soon but if anybody wants one
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein