charger

The place to discuss any issues with your Aprilia, share tips and handy reference links

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

skye2skye
Despatch Rider

charger

#1 Post by skye2skye » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:12 am

I have noticed that when my falco sits at idle the volts read at 13.5-13.7 but as soon as i start to rev the engine this drops to about 12.4 is this normal for it to drop that much Ive cleaned all the terminals from the regulator and all the wiring looks good (no signs of corrosion )thanks ..
Darrell Turner

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#2 Post by Falcopops » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:53 am

Mine drops too, but the dash reads low by at least half a volt. check at the battery to get a true reading. the wiring mod helps improve things

wayno
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by wayno » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:18 am

Do the wiring mod, and while you're at it change the starter relay for one with higher amp rating (I think they're about £20-30 from ebay).

I did these 2 mods and it's like a different bike. Never run out of electricity anymore and the starting is so much easier.
Pass me a hammer, a spanner and a cuppa

skye2skye
Despatch Rider

#4 Post by skye2skye » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:15 am

wayno wrote:Do the wiring mod, and while you're at it change the starter relay for one with higher amp rating (I think they're about £20-30 from ebay).

I did these 2 mods and it's like a different bike. Never run out of electricity anymore and the starting is so much easier.
wiring mod ? Heard of it but do not know how to do it
Darrell Turner

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by D-Rider » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:44 am

Don't go down that route yet - confirm the problem first.
First step is to clean all the connections in the charging circuit (get some contact cleaner from Maplins (or elsewhere).
Then check the charging system as described in the Workshop manual.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

wayno
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#6 Post by wayno » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:53 am

The man does make a very valid point, you need to check that everything else is good first.

If you do decide to go ahead with the wiring mod there are plenty of write ups on it. I got a mate of mine to do the wiring on mine as he is a dab hand with eletrical witchcraft (however it is very easy)
Pass me a hammer, a spanner and a cuppa

skye2skye
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by skye2skye » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:19 pm

wayno wrote:The man does make a very valid point, you need to check that everything else is good first.

If you do decide to go ahead with the wiring mod there are plenty of write ups on it. I got a mate of mine to do the wiring on mine as he is a dab hand with eletrical witchcraft (however it is very easy)
I have checked everything that can be checked with a multi metre since putting all back together its now reading 13.5-13.7 and dropping to 12.9-13.00 when fast idling i did notice on the z block going into the ecu the wire z16 has been cut according to the workshop manual that wire is for the starter relay any suggestions as to why this has been cut
Darrell Turner

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#8 Post by Falcopops » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:51 am

If it's a green/blue wire, then that's the derestriction wire. If it was the starter relay wire I don't see how your bike would start.

skye2skye
Despatch Rider

#9 Post by skye2skye » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:52 am

Falcopops wrote:If it's a green/blue wire, then that's the derestriction wire. If it was the starter relay wire I don't see how your bike would start.
Thats what i thought .the only thing i can think of is that its been messed about with from a previous owner .trouble is know ive got to go through the wiring and see whats been changed .
Darrell Turner

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#10 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Removed alarm installation??

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...