O2 Eliminator 2018 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer

Mechanical woes? Ask other members for tips and advice.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

dprice8893
Despatch Rider

O2 Eliminator 2018 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer

#1 Post by dprice8893 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:24 am

Hi,

I've recently removed the Oxygen Sensors from my 2018 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT to cure the associated problems with surging and sharp throttle response. This has been totally successful and the engine now runs beautifully.

However, despite fitting the usual resistor plugs that come as a kit, the ECU isn't fooled and the Engine Management Light (MIL) is coming on. The ECU returns the fault for O2 sensor high voltage malfunction as expected and can be cleared, but returns after one cycle.

I've installed two lots of eliminators, advertised as suitable for my bike and year, so I presume it's not a problem with the kit.

The problem therefore is only the constant light, which I can ultimately live with, but if anybody has any suggestions or experience, I would be grateful. Not wishing to start a debate on the pros and cons of removing the sensors as I've done same to good effect on many bikes I've owned.

Thanks

Dave

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Re: O2 Eliminator 2018 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer

#2 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:00 pm

I've no specific knowledge regarding the VFR1200X, but I did have similar problems (surging and on/off throttle response) on my 2017 KTM Duke 690R, and the problem was finally solved by having the ECU(s) remapped by Andy at BSD Performance in Peterborough. He cured the snatchiness at low revs and constant throttle openings by remapping the main ECU and updated the throttle maps for the lower gears so they were more progressive in operation (the bike has a fly by wire throttle). He also switched off or disabled sensors that would otherwise have triggered fault codes. I'd give BSD a ring and see if they can do anything for you...