Intermittent fast idle

Mechanical woes? Ask other members for tips and advice.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

KitchenSync
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

Intermittent fast idle

#1 Post by KitchenSync » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 am

After a winter overhaul (plus heated grips fitment) the Futura STILL had periods of 3,000rpm idling. Everything nipped up properly - no air leaks, new gasket around the airbox, cables oiled and butterflies snapping shut). I fancy it's the idle adjuster stalling/skipping as it's consistently either ok or 3,000rpm. When the idles stuck open the bike won't accelerate properly - more like a 125.

Can I just blank it off or disconnect it in the short term? Due to be heading to France within days and I'm not about to throw money at more rip-off parts from Aprilia only to find it's not the problem.

And on that matter - I replaced the TPS with a Citroen Berlingo TPS for £8.99 rather that get the identical part for £145 from Aprilia. I can only assume the idle adjuster will similarly be a stock item also used on Fiat's/Citroen/Peugeot's of the same era).
2002 Signor Falco - stolen in Nottingham, ringed and alive again down south under an assumed identity
2002 Futura - King Fut
2011 Skyteam Bongo 125 - reimagined as Daryl's ride from The Walking Dead

KitchenSync
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

Ha ha ha ha

#2 Post by KitchenSync » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 am

I need to check but I think THIS looks like it from what I recall...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1482824020

£13.89 or from Aprilia #AP8124981 for £278.10

I think I'll buy a Japanese bike when the time comes - Aprilia deserves to die if this is how they treat their fans.
2002 Signor Falco - stolen in Nottingham, ringed and alive again down south under an assumed identity
2002 Futura - King Fut
2011 Skyteam Bongo 125 - reimagined as Daryl's ride from The Walking Dead