bang bang bang bzzzzzz

Mechanical woes? Ask other members for tips and advice.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

KitchenSync
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

bang bang bang bzzzzzz

#1 Post by KitchenSync » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Futura blew all the headlight bulbs today, then stalled and wouldn't start due to a flat battery.

RAC came and gave me a jumpstart and we watched the battery charging voltage rise up to 15.3v.

Goddamn it that regulator is six months old, the LiFePo battery is four months old and I've only just replaced the stator - here we go again.

I'm hoping the battery isn't cooked at least. Odd that no other bulbs have blown though. Why do you think would it only be the headlights?
2002 Signor Falco - stolen in Nottingham, ringed and alive again down south under an assumed identity
2002 Futura - King Fut
2011 Skyteam Bongo 125 - reimagined as Daryl's ride from The Walking Dead

fatboy
World Champion

#2 Post by fatboy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Check all the associated wiring .
The earth on my Falco reg/rec was almost severed and it cooked the ecu but blew no bulbs.
Who can answer why to that ?
Electricity is witchcraft
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:30 pm

My money would be on the Regulator/Rectumfrier... I've had 2 go on the VFR - one overvolt (approaching 17v), the other undervolt. The overvolt R/R boiled my battery dry in Austria. Amazingly enough, refillng with distilled water brought it back to life...

Since then I've invested in what I regard as the best type of R/R, a MOSFET job. The two options I'm aware of are the Shindengen FH012AA and FH020AA MOSFET R/Rs. They're fitted as standard to top end Kawasakis and Yamahas and also to the BMW S1000RR. However it seems that the popularity of this design has led to a spate of Chinese knock-offs, so I'd probably tend to buy a good used one rather than a suspiciously cheap new one...

I've not fitted one to my Falco, but from what I can see, the bolt spacing looks as if it would be a straight swap out. The terminals will be different, but Triumph do a nifty little conversion loom for not very much money. The Triumph part number is T2500676.

KitchenSync
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#4 Post by KitchenSync » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:49 am

About to part with my money for an FH020AA but ended up with spending 14 pints more for an SH847 after reading how they are much easier going on the stator windings. It's inbound from Germany today and comes with the correct Furukawa connector kit for 37 pints which isn't too bad if it saves cooking another battery and frying another stator for a few weeks.

I shall report in due course.
2002 Signor Falco - stolen in Nottingham, ringed and alive again down south under an assumed identity
2002 Futura - King Fut

KitchenSync
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#5 Post by KitchenSync » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Just fits - SH847AA pushing a very stable 14.1v.

Minor mods to the heat sink but all looks good.

Oh... images don't work![/url]
2002 Futura - King Fut

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:44 pm

Nice work, Ian. That looks proper 'factory'. It's a bit of a brute though, isn't it?

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by D-Rider » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:27 pm

Nice job ..... might have to follow suit.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

KitchenSync
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#8 Post by KitchenSync » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:31 pm

More footage from the live feed - yes it IS big - and more costly than FH020AA but I read good things that this puts less load on the stator windings.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmpfo-gA1jF/
2002 Futura - King Fut