Brembo master cylinder recall

Mechanical woes? Ask other members for tips and advice.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Brembo master cylinder recall

#1 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:57 pm

I got a text yesterday from the UK dealer I bought my 690 R from (Redline Motorcycles). Apparently there is a recall for the radial master cylinder as fitted to 2015-2017 Duke 690 R models (and other models in the KTM range). Apparently the problem is that the PPS (polyphenylene sulphide) master cylinder piston can crack, causing the front brake to fail.

So basically Brembo fitted a plastic piston to the radial master cylinder. What were they thinking? What could possibly go wrong?

Thankfully they will be replacing the potentially faulty item with an aluminium version when the bike next comes in for service. Free of charge,

KTM now joins Ducati, Aprilia and MV in this product recall. This must be costing Brembo a fair old sum of money, not to mention reputational damage. Apparently the piston can crack under heavy braking, although I suspect this would realistically only show up in race or track-day situations when the brakes were being hammered. A mate of mine who has a 2017 RSV4 Tuono is also in line for the recall.

Gio
Double World Champion

#2 Post by Gio » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:29 pm

They can afford it, Brembo have never lost money and its hardly surprising when you thing of automotive manufacturers who use their parts.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

fatboy
World Champion

#3 Post by fatboy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:07 pm

So Brembo are happy to wait until you hit your service mileage before they replace a substandard component on your front brake ?
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:27 pm

From what I can gather, the number of instances of failure have been vanishingly small, so it's mainly a corporate arse-covering exercise. It's only likely to happen under extreme usage, so hardly anything to worry the average rider.

But it was a dumb idea to use a plastic piston, wasn't it?

fatboy
World Champion

#5 Post by fatboy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Yup, like making sprockets out of cheese :smt017

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:25 am

It's interesting to note that the plastic pistons were only used on master cylinders sold to OE Manufacturers; i.e. sold to the likes of Ducati, Aprilia, KTM, MV etc. for use on new bikes. Master cylinders sold as aftermarket or upgrade parts had aluminium pistons from day 1.

Definitely a cost-cutting exercise, methinks...

Gio
Double World Champion

#7 Post by Gio » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:03 pm

mangocrazy wrote:It's interesting to note that the plastic pistons were only used on master cylinders sold to OE Manufacturers; i.e. sold to the likes of Ducati, Aprilia, KTM, MV etc. for use on new bikes. Master cylinders sold as aftermarket or upgrade parts had aluminium pistons from day 1.

Definitely a cost-cutting exercise, methinks...
I'm wondering if the "plastic" might not be plastic, couldn't it be nylon?
Here is a little info for comparison https://www.creativemechanisms.com/blog ... plastic-pa
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Yes, 'plastic' is a convenient term and doesn't really cater for the huge variety of materials that fall under that general term. There's a place near me in Sheffield that sells an incredible range of plastic-type materials, and all have their strengths and weaknesses. Some can be machined like metal, others like PTFE are used because of their self-lubricating properties, but all have their niche. And there are a wide range of nylon materials with quite widely differing properties. These are the guys:

https://www.directplastics.co.uk/

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:54 pm

And a day or so ago I got another text from Redline advising me of a recall for an updated filler neck gasket. 2 recalls and it hasn't turned a wheel in anger yet...

I remember some folks on the US forums getting very arsey about tank leaks, threatening class-action lawsuits and the like, but that seems to be par for the course for the Yanks. That and perforating each other with assault rifles.

fatboy
World Champion

#10 Post by fatboy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:34 pm

mangocrazy wrote:And a day or so ago I got another text from Redline advising me of a recall for an updated filler neck gasket. 2 recalls and it hasn't turned a wheel in anger yet...

I remember some folks on the US forums getting very arsey about tank leaks, threatening class-action lawsuits and the like, but that seems to be par for the course for the Yanks. That and perforating each other with assault rifles.
Perhaps you need to get an assult rifle and head off to the KTM factory.......

Gio
Double World Champion

#11 Post by Gio » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:49 pm

mangocrazy wrote:And a day or so ago I got another text from Redline advising me of a recall for an updated filler neck gasket. 2 recalls and it hasn't turned a wheel in anger yet...

I agree with you.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:44 pm

fatboy wrote:

Perhaps you need to get an assult rifle and head off to the KTM factory.......
Haha - I'm not fazed by it in the slightest, to be honest. All the recalls will be dealt with free of charge and I didn't even have to chase them about it - they contacted me. It means that KTM are being proactive about it, which is cool.

the only other bike I've ever had that was subject to recalls was a Suzuki TL1000S. That had a complete tank swap (never knew why) and a non-adjustable steering damper fitted due to all the bad publicity that MCN drummed up about the 'Widowmaker'. I hated it and took it off after a week or so.