Poorly Futura

Mechanical woes? Ask other members for tips and advice.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

KitchenSync
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

Poorly Futura

#1 Post by KitchenSync » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:54 pm

With my Falco recently stolen, I've picked up a Futura in great condition but it runs terribly.

This came from a friend of a friend, so I trust it's history.

My friend rode it 18 months ago and said it was spot on. Not as powerful as my Falco but more than enough to get into trouble. Since then it's just been sat in a garage on a charger, occasionally started.

I got it back home in a van, having only heard it running and it sounded fine. Riding it to the MOT station it was clear something was amiss. Very hesitant, lumpy pickup, engine bogs down when the throttle is whacked open.

I've changed the plugs and ridden it some more with some redex in but it's no better. Once warm it starts to act like a bike running out of fuel, barely able to pull above 2500 rpm. It gets worse the warmer the engine gets until it just conks out. When it is pulling it's like a bucking bronco... On off on off with the power.

I hear the fuel pump running up to pressure when I turn the ignition on - doesn't seem to take any longer to do that than the Falco. It does take a while to start, with an odd sequence of open the throttle a bit and it then catches when it closes.

It's had fresh fuel - no difference.

I'm wondering. If in those 18 months since it ran well, something inside the tank has given up the ghost and I need to drop the pump out.

I've bought the cables for tuneecu but haven't tried it yet.

And help gratefully received

ginge
Despatch Rider

#2 Post by ginge » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:51 pm

I'd start by checking all the silly little pipes that go in to the throttle bodies. Mostly for the 'vapour'recovery system required for American models.

fatboy
World Champion

#3 Post by fatboy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:32 pm

I'm sure this will run better if you can crack the skull of a Falco thief
Cleverly disguised as an adult !