Electrical help please

Mechanical woes? Ask other members for tips and advice.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

Electrical help please

#1 Post by DavShill » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:37 pm

Matt's bike has been in my garage for a couple of years and is now required to be operational, but it's not. A few weeks ago we tried to jump start it. It turned over but wouldn't fire up. Don't worry I said, go back to Leamington and I will service it, new plugs etc etc.
So today I go to have a fettle and there's nothing ! Ignition light, neutral light and oil pressure lights come on, on the clocks, but nothing else. No headlight, no tail light, no horn, no indicators and no starter motor.

Battery is past it's useful life so just ordered a new one but there was nothing even off the jump leads.

Oh...... It has a datatool alarm/immobiliser which is making all the correct blips when arming and disarming.

All help and ideas welcome.

Edit...... Oh, it's a basic in line four GSX 750 Suzuki naked retro version.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#2 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:58 pm

Main fuse or relay

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by DavShill » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:24 pm

Yes checked all fuses but not checked the relay.

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#4 Post by BikerGran » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Did you check the earth to frame connection? Dry joint there and nothing will work except maybe things that only need a trickle of power like, um, warning lights?
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by DavShill » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:11 pm

All fine and dandy now thanks. Cleaned and copper slipped the earth point and still nothing. Jump leads again and still nothing. So as a last resort I dropped the battery from the falco and connected up the Suzuki and "BINGO" she fires up on the button.

So the battery was completely and utterly f****d, I now need you electrical wizards to explain to me why she would not start on jump leads...............................discuss please.

:smt001

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by D-Rider » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:07 pm

DavShill wrote:All fine and dandy now thanks. Cleaned and copper slipped the earth point and still nothing. Jump leads again and still nothing. So as a last resort I dropped the battery from the falco and connected up the Suzuki and "BINGO" she fires up on the button.

So the battery was completely and utterly f****d, I now need you electrical wizards to explain to me why she would not start on jump leads...............................discuss please.

:smt001
Because jump leads alone aren't enough - you need a power source on the other end of them
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by D-Rider » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:08 pm

Depends on a few things.
Maybe poor connection with the jump leads
Maybe old battery has developed an internal short and is pulling down the external source.
Maybe something else ....
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

fatboy
World Champion

#8 Post by fatboy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:26 pm

What D said !
There should be a fair old spark when you connect the jump leads,the flat battery is placing a load on the slave battery, in this case maybe too much load if its totalled.
Nooj does sell a really useful little gadget for this kind of nonsense !
Cleverly disguised as an adult !