WANTED: Falco upper fork sleeve/tube

If you're looking to buy a specific motorbike, any parts or accessories - then place your FREE listing here. No trade adverts.
matapaca
Despatch Rider

WANTED: Falco upper fork sleeve/tube

#1 Post by matapaca » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:16 am

I've just sent my forks off to Reactive Suspension to be re-vavled and Gareth says that the corrosion on the black upper fork tube is very bad and at a week point so needs replacing.

Just wondering if anyone has a good condition pair or single tube with no corrosion lying around that they want to sell.

I know this is obvious but anyway - Diameter: 53mm top and 53mm bottom.

Cheers
Matt
Ducati 999, TL1000R & SL Falco

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#2 Post by Dalemac » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:15 pm

Yes it is a weak point on the showa forks. How bad are they Matt?

I recently rebuilt my forks, and they were in pretty bad condition. I ended up removing all the corrosion, filling the gaps with jbweld, smoothing down and then powder coating them before putting them back together. I couldn't anodize the forks because JB weld can't be anodized. If you can find anyone willing to do some ally welding, that would be the only option if you want to anodize the forks again.

More info:

https://www.ridersite.com/viewtopic.php?t=12686

If the only option is to buy a donor set of forks form someone (you'll struggle to find a set that aren't flaking, then now may be a good time to do an ohlins conversion, or find a set of marzocchi forks (later falco) or leave the 999 forks on there and find another set of forks for the 999?

Dale

control_67
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#3 Post by control_67 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:55 pm

I have a pair of Showas that came off my bike at around 24k, they're clean and in good condition with no evidence of corrosion, just a few Small scratches on the finish.

matapaca
Despatch Rider

#4 Post by matapaca » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:51 pm

The left hand fork was pretty bad in a few places especially just behind the mudguard, it was like cheese. Gareth at Reactive says that's a vunerable point for stress on the fork so best replace, esp as it's structural rather than superficial.

Not sure of best move. Would love to leave the 999 forks on and get Ohlins for the 999 but that's an expense too far and the reason I was getting the revalve job. leaves me with finding a good top sleeve- currently there is one on eaby for £295 new.

Control - just out of interest what kind of £s would you be looking for?

control_67
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#5 Post by control_67 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Sorry, I didn't see this sooner.

I'd let the pair go for £175 posted. If you're interested I can PM you some pics of the condition.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:45 pm

Is building the corroded section of fork tube up with ali weld and then turning it back down to size not an option? You would need a good ali welder and a machinist with a decent size lathe, of course, but would save having to cannibalise a working set of forks for just the tube(s).

matapaca
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by matapaca » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:15 pm

HI Control - thanks for the offer appreciated but I found a couple of good condition sleeves some searching on a German ebay site for £55 so went with them.

Mango I will keep the sleeves and look at repairing the old sleeves in time.

Other than more regular cleaning Is there a way to protect the ali on forks? do people paint them?

cheers