WANTED: RSVR Ohlins bottom yoke

If you're looking to buy a specific motorbike, any parts or accessories - then place your FREE listing here. No trade adverts.
control_67
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

WANTED: RSVR Ohlins bottom yoke

#1 Post by control_67 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:42 pm

When changing the corroded pinch bolts on my yoke one of the buggers sheared. Annoyingly it's only a little over a month since I last had the forks out for seals so it's seized on that time. All attempts at drilling/easy outing/ re tapping and coiling have failed so that's left me the last option which is a new yoke (and plenty of of copaslip!)

Anyone have one knocking about or is it dreaded eBay for me?

Cheers

blinkey501
World Champion

Re: WANTED: RSVR Ohlins bottom yoke

#2 Post by blinkey501 » Sat May 23, 2015 5:07 am

control_67 wrote:When changing the corroded pinch bolts on my yoke one of the buggers sheared. Annoyingly it's only a little over a month since I last had the forks out for seals so it's seized on that time. All attempts at drilling/easy outing/ re tapping and coiling have failed so that's left me the last option which is a new yoke (and plenty of of copaslip!)

Anyone have one knocking about or is it dreaded eBay for me?

Cheers
Ask on Rsvr.net as there is somebody breaking an rsv with showa forks>

That will be a straight swap onto your falco

http://rsvr.net/my-bike-breaking-gen1_topic18556.html
Tolerance will be our undoing.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by D-Rider » Sat May 23, 2015 9:07 am

control_67 wrote:WANTED: RSVR Ohlins bottom yoke
blinkey501 wrote:
Ask on Rsvr.net as there is somebody breaking an rsv with showa forks>
That will be a straight swap onto your falco
.... though not on to one with Ohlins forks ..... unless the suggestion is to fit the Showas in place of Ohlins

:smt017

The only one I've got is the one on my bike .... think it's likely to be an ebay job - though from what I remember, they tend to be rather expensive. Might be more economical to take the one you have to somewhere that can sort it out for you.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

banjaxxed1
Despatch Rider

#4 Post by banjaxxed1 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:42 pm

I have a spare one but really I can't think why it can't be fixed with the right tools/skills - it would be cheaper - get someone comfortable with the retap/helicoil to go up another size (unlesss you let Helen Keller loose with the drill)

If you want the set, I would only sell the entire triples for £75 + £15 P&P(from Ireland).

[quote="control_67"]All attempts at drilling/easy outing/ re tapping and coiling have failed
Cheers[/quote]

control_67
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#5 Post by control_67 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:41 am

I've already given helicoiling a go, it's not seated properly and just winds out again when you get the bolt fully through, I'm also not majorly happy with trusting it. I think it would always be at the back of my mind that it was weaker there. Plus drilling out the untapped side of the pinch leaves less material for the bolt to seat on.

Banjaxxed: if that price is for the Ohlins yokes I'd happily take you up on that, PM me with payment details and I will sort payment ASAP.

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#6 Post by flatlander » Tue May 26, 2015 5:53 am

What's that other option to heli piling never can recall the name but its better
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

banjaxxed1
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by banjaxxed1 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:51 pm

Sure thing, will fish them out later for pics

Sorry in work 50mls away not back till late then have to take over the kids from wifey, sneaking out to shed while it's still light may be 'verboten' as the Germans say & yes she wears the lederhosen.

The top is probably very key marked but fully operational, the lower should be fine but photos to come.

ps. A half decent machine shop would probably be able to shoot some aluminum in there and retap the hole properly to the right size - you are probably into £50 territory there though.

I do take your point about not trusting a helicoil done right & also it's your money, I could use being your benefactor in fact!

control_67
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#8 Post by control_67 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:23 pm

flatlander wrote:What's that other option to heli piling never can recall the name but its better
Timesert, they are actually a machined insert so far more secure but require a bigger hole, the problem with doing this on the yoke would be that there's no enough material around it and there's no way you'd get one through the untapped part. I had a JMC swingarm on my old bandit that was timeserted after the helicoils stripped out on the eccentric adjuster clamps. It felt much more secure even just winding the bolts in, let alone torquing up.

control_67
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#9 Post by control_67 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:26 pm

banjaxxed1 wrote:Sure thing, will fish them out later for pics

Sorry in work 50mls away not back till late then have to take over the kids from wifey, sneaking out to shed while it's still light may be 'verboten' as the Germans say & yes she wears the lederhosen.

The top is probably very key marked but fully operational, the lower should be fine but photos to come.

ps. A half decent machine shop would probably be able to shoot some aluminum in there and retap the hole properly to the right size - you are probably into £50 territory there though.

I do take your point about not trusting a helicoil done right & also it's your money, I could use being your benefactor in fact!
Thanks

banjaxxed1
Despatch Rider

Pics

#10 Post by banjaxxed1 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:50 am

I climbed into the back of the shed & pulled out the trees/clamps/triples/headstock/yokes, that's fice differnt ways of dscribing the same part, not sure if it's a record?!

they are for Ohlins, they were on my Falco with conventional aftermarket Ohlins on it before switching out tot a radial setup with matching RSVR Factory forks, so I know they will work for -
98-03 ohlins, top 51mm- bottom 56mm

And you might even include the radial Edwards RSV-R model in that list I would say.

http://apriliarsv.com/aprilia-rsvr/2007 ... sizes.html

The pics have the diameters shown which correspond to that info.

Now they are not perfect but that's reflected in the price ^. The bearing are knackered, there was a very bad notchy on side-to-side movement before removing them, plan on replacing unless using your existing ones.

Cosmetically they are challenged but functionally they are perfect. No cross-threading in any hole. Let's not forget these are bikes designed 17+ years ago, not these particular parts, but the model year.

What you see if what you get bolt-wise etc

I have highlighted all the problem areas -
  • Anodizing scuffed from key wear
    Paint on the lower flaking in a couple of spots.
    Minor scars on triple stem (cosmetic, not at all deep)
    Top triple has small gouge mark on either end caused by Gilles risers.
Pictures -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6inpkqu1hoa9f ... 9.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbobu3u4agaoy ... 9.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gusmhyf5xqalk ... 9.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scfoahfd7yt5g ... 2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7a2rdiofjx71o ... 3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5imrk964xcvt ... 2.jpg?dl=0
Last edited by banjaxxed1 on Wed May 27, 2015 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

banjaxxed1
Despatch Rider

#11 Post by banjaxxed1 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:14 am

ps, I give up on posting the images, this BB bulletin code for embedding images is too frustrating!

control_67
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#12 Post by control_67 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:30 pm

Those look grand, PM incoming.