Wanted - Falco rubber swingarm/chain protector - AP8144052

If you're looking to buy a specific motorbike, any parts or accessories - then place your FREE listing here. No trade adverts.
mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Wanted - Falco rubber swingarm/chain protector - AP8144052

#1 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:15 pm

Like it says - does anyone have a rubber swingarm protector available in reasonable nick that they'd be prepared to sell me? I'm hoping that with the popularity of RSV Mile swingarms as an upgrade that there will be unwanted and unloved OE Falco swingarms lurking in the spares pile that might have a serviceable protector attached.

Well - I can hope, can't I?

blinkey501
World Champion

Re: Wanted - Falco rubber swingarm/chain protector - AP81440

#2 Post by blinkey501 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:10 pm

mangocrazy wrote:Like it says - does anyone have a rubber swingarm protector available in reasonable nick that they'd be prepared to sell me? I'm hoping that with the popularity of RSV Mile swingarms as an upgrade that there will be unwanted and unloved OE Falco swingarms lurking in the spares pile that might have a serviceable protector attached.

Well - I can hope, can't I?
I will look in the garage Graham. :smt003
Tolerance will be our undoing.

fatboy
World Champion

#3 Post by fatboy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:45 pm

There must be other 'non pukka' ones that would work ??
Then again, tis Aprlia so maybe not :smt009
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:53 pm

fatboy wrote:There must be other 'non pukka' ones that would work ??
Then again, tis Aprlia so maybe not :smt009
They're a very specific shape and size to fit in the recesses in the Falco swingarm, and appear to be unique to it. Unfortunately for me...

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by HisNibbs » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:22 pm

You still stuck on this and how badly? I have another standard arm that that I dream of swapping with mine as it has a sheared chain adjuster bodge.

I could possibly rob that...
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi Keith - the one I've got on the swingarm at present is nearly through the rubber and down to the swingarm, so I'd like to replace it. This is the blue Falco that is still (amazingly) a secret from SWMBO, even though she's walked past it quite a few times. It doesn't have any bodywork on it though, which is probably why it's gone unnoticed.

I'm not in a tearing hurry, as it's unlikely to be terrorising South Yorkshire until after our trip to France in late April/early May. I don't want to rob your stores, but if it's surplus to requirements then I'd be interested.

I think that if the chain is kept properly adjusted, then wear on this part is pretty minimal. Unfortunately the blue Falco looks like it was well treated for the first years of its life, but then fell into the clutches of the great unwashed. The chain is fit only for the bin...

Just a thought - have you heard about the Classic Bike track day at Cadwell at the start of August? It's for pre-1995 bikes and there's a specific section for British & European. Be nice to give the Beemer a run out. I'm booked in for both days (Fri/Sat) on the 888 and am really looking forward to it.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#7 Post by HisNibbs » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:01 pm

Hi Graham,

I'll take a look see what shape my current 70,000 mile old pad is in before offering anything...

I'd love to get out on a track day with either the BM of a Falco this year and the event you refer to sounds ideal. Except I think I'll be away on holiday then. I 'll double check the dates but if you hear of something before mid July or after mid August I'd probably be up for it.

Yep I imagine the 888 would be a blast round Cadwell. A fantastic track especially the full circuit. I had so many races there during the late 70's early 80's I might even remember my way around.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:06 am

Bump.

In the forlorn hope that someone who has done the Falco to Mille swingarm conversion may have a rubber Falco swingarm protector kicking around that they may be OK to part with...?

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#9 Post by HisNibbs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Reminded.

The one on the arm I have fitted has 70,000 miles on it so looks pretty worn but still serviceable. Haven't checked the other arm yet.

Do they just glue in place?

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#10 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:11 pm

The one on your spare is in good order keef

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 pm

They just bolt in place with two M5 screws into recesses in the swingarm. It's also located by a protrusion on the outside of the swingarm nearest the gearbox sprocket. Unlike other bikes I've known, it's really quite simple to remove and fit (as long as the swingarm is off the bike, of course).