Wanted - Falco-Compatible Front Brake Discs

If you're looking to buy a specific motorbike, any parts or accessories - then place your FREE listing here. No trade adverts.
NickyT
Despatch Rider

Wanted - Falco-Compatible Front Brake Discs

#1 Post by NickyT » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Hello

As per the title. Anything that fits. Mine have warped.

Please pm me if you have anything.

Thanks

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by D-Rider » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:28 pm

PM sent
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#3 Post by flatlander » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:43 pm

if that pm doesn't help pm me :smt002 I have a cunning plan :)
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by D-Rider » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:10 am

Oh yes - are you Sure they've warped ..... many think they have when they haven't.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#5 Post by Dalemac » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 am

http://www.blackshadow-uk.co.uk/Aprilia.html

Had mine for 3 years, no issues.

Dale

gazzo
Despatch Rider
Main bike: Falco

#6 Post by gazzo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:34 pm

D-Rider wrote:Oh yes - are you Sure they've warped ..... many think they have when they haven't.
Hi D-R
I have a slight pulsing effect on mine when I brake hard and no it's not my heart in my mouth when I forgot there was a bend coming up.
Does this indicate warped discs, because I was thinking the same as NickyT

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by D-Rider » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:41 pm

Not necessarily.

It may be that the bobbins between the carriers and the rotors need cleaning - a bit time consuming but threas a bolt through so that you can use that to rotate them in turn and liberally squirt with break cleaner as you rotate. Just free everything up nicely.

Another possibility is deposition of pad material on the discs due to poor bedding in.

Try the bobbin cleaning first - it is cheap and may well sort you out.
-- Albert Einstein

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#8 Post by HisNibbs » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:51 pm

As DR said pulsing is typical of the bobins being tight. You could clean them which takes a while. I've found that "using" the brakes also seems to do the trick! :smt002
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

NickyT
Despatch Rider

#9 Post by NickyT » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks to those that have PM'd me.

I do need to check the run out before I decide to buy a replacement set; I'll do this on Saturday by cable tying something (a nail maybe) to the fork leg against the disc and spinning the wheel to see whether the nail gets pushed away.

The symptom at very low speed is a pulsing/grabbing as I come to a stop. When applying the brakes at high speed (e.g. on track but also happens on the road) it manifests itsefl as a hard initial judder. The bike did have a period of standing of a year or so before I bought & recommissioned it last year but has been used a lot since.

It could equally be sticking bobbins so I need to check this and will free them up then try the run out test again. The bike's done 32k miles so while in pretty much mint condition it could be either bobbins or discs themselves.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:13 am

I'd say it has a 90% chance of being the bobbins and 10% chance of being the discs, personally. If you have a rear paddock stand or Abba stand, put the bike on that and then support the bike under the engine so that the front wheel spins freely. Then attack the bobbins in the manner described above...

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#11 Post by randomsquid » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:57 pm

If you're feeling butch you can free the bobbins by hand. But then you'll have many tiny blister type things on the end of your thumb and forefinger for many weeks. Don't ask how I know this...
Where ever I lay my hat.....

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#12 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 pm

damn

the bet was it was either flossie needed more lube, or you had been throwing your right hand on the bed and shagging it senseless....

we will need to find a new poll

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by D-Rider » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:50 pm

randomsquid wrote:If you're feeling butch you can free the bobbins by hand. But then you'll have many tiny blister type things on the end of your thumb and forefinger for many weeks. Don't ask how I know this...
I hear that Butch has now lodged a complaint
-- Albert Einstein

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#14 Post by randomsquid » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:52 pm

D-Rider wrote:
randomsquid wrote:If you're feeling butch you can free the bobbins by hand. But then you'll have many tiny blister type things on the end of your thumb and forefinger for many weeks. Don't ask how I know this...
I hear that Butch has now lodged a complaint
First time I've heard it called that.
Where ever I lay my hat.....