Rebuilding Loss Of Confidence

Check in here for tips and advice to improve your riding skills. From simple tips for new riders, to info on advanced riding courses like the IAM and RoSPA.
D-Rider
Admin
Admin

Rebuilding Loss Of Confidence

#1 Post by D-Rider » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:58 pm

I've managed to get right to the edge of my front tyre .... but it wasn't as a result of having fun!

Set off for church this morning .... potted history of the ride:
  • * Left home - roads looked nice
    * Decided that this morning I didn't need to avoid the manhole on the riding line before I left the estate but as I rode over it noticed the grip on it wasn't great.
    * Further on I rode over a road marking and it was much more "squirmy" than usual. Put a little wiggle in to see if I could feel a soft tyre or lack of grip - but it felt ok.
    * Continued on with a bit more caution than usual.
    * Got to a roundabout and again with more caution than usual, pitched into it with a car in the lane outside me ... this is where the moment of fun happened ... the front just tucked and although front end slides are usually things that result in one outcome, I fought the thing (not wishing to slide off and then into the car outside me) and somehow caught it.
    * Crawled the remaining part of the journey.
    * Had a look at the front tyre and it felt firm and not contaminated with slippery stuff ..... just with a couple of areas showing abrasion right to the very edge.
    * When I came to leave for home I checked it over again and measured the pressure - which was fine.
    * Rode home cautiously and without incident.
I really wish the tyre was flat or covered in oil or anything that I could rationalise. Not having a clue as to what the problem was is not good for the confidence .....

Also wish I'd had a video camera going too - you don't come back from a slide like that very often ...........
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by Kwackerz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Done owt to the suspension?
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

Falco9
Aprilia Admin

#3 Post by Falco9 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:13 pm

It sounds like a wierd one Andy :smt017

If alls well in the tyre department I reckon it can only be down to either the low temperatures we still have (especially the ground temp) or maybe you did hit a small patch of oil or grease. It only takes a small amount coupled with a cold tyre for a slide to happen

The good news is you saved it! :smt023

Chalk it up to experience and put it behind you mate

F9 :smt006
I've spent 50% of my life riding motorcycles, the rest I've wasted!

Samray
Double World Champion

#4 Post by Samray » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Nice save!

:smt017 I think I'd be checking every nut and bolt on the bike was tight first.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#5 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Well done for the save.

I would consider road surface and temperature...

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by D-Rider » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Kwackerz wrote:Done owt to the suspension?
Not since the forum suspension setup session at Griff's a year or so ago.
Don't seem to be any leaks or anything and was taking it much easier than usual so I don't think it's so likely to be suspension related.
Falco9 wrote:It sounds like a wierd one Andy :smt017

If alls well in the tyre department I reckon it can only be down to either the low temperatures we still have (especially the ground temp) or maybe you did hit a small patch of oil or grease. It only takes a small amount coupled with a cold tyre for a slide to happen

The good news is you saved it! :smt023

Chalk it up to experience and put it behind you mate

F9 :smt006
Just noticed there's not much tread on parts of the tyre (have to put the new rims on - complete with brand new tyres) but with a dry road, that should make little difference.

I'd like to go along with the grease/oil theory but I didn't spot any (and I'm usually pretty good at spotting anything on the road) and I stopped soon afterwards and there was nothing suspicious on the tyre.
Also the temp idea would be nice but it's been a lot colder lately when I've pushed a bit harder.

The couple of odd feelings I had earlier on the ride were enough to make me a bit more cautious (just as well) and although if the slide hadn't happened, I'd have forgotten all about them by now, I can't help but think they are related.

Think this will be one of those unsolved mysteries .... from which it will be harder to regain unwavering faith in the front end ......

Here are some pics of the tyre (though they don't show up that well)
These are on 2 different sections of the tyre (and, yes, I know my camera strap is dangling in the way)

“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by Kwackerz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:58 pm

See I dont think it is.

D-R is a seasoned Falco Veteran, Rides in varying weather conditions, etc.

Would be most surprised if he'd been caught out by the weather and heat (lack of)

:smt017

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by Kwackerz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Tsk! That was in reply to Alad, btw!

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by Kwackerz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:02 pm

Methinks it's what i was going to prattle on about earlier but didnt..

I think your tyre has heated up too much at some stage, then cooled, changing the compound. Cant really tell from the pics but it looks like you have a slight bluish sheen to the tyre?

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by D-Rider » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Kwackerz wrote:Methinks it's what i was going to prattle on about earlier but didnt..

I think your tyre has heated up too much at some stage, then cooled, changing the compound. Cant really tell from the pics but it looks like you have a slight bluish sheen to the tyre?
Hear what you are saying but not sure when that would have been - it just gets used for road riding - and most of that commuting.
Maybe you're right but would be happier if I could think of when that might have happened.

Tis odd :smt017

EDIT: and why would it choose to be so dramatic today when taking it easy?
-- Albert Einstein

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#11 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Don't know about in Coventry but I know that locally we have had reports of road surfaces shifting - not due to especially cold weather but just certain ranges of temperatures - seems that where a road has been skimmed it can move/slide in a weird manner

And I take your point Tim - but I was nearly caught out myself recently by something similar... And the bluejay tinge can indicate delamination of the rubber - that could affect grip in places.

The good news however, is that we can assume that andy's constipation is now cured - and at his age that is a good thing ;)

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by D-Rider » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:10 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:Don't know about in Coventry but I know that locally we have had reports of road surfaces shifting -
..... I know that's happened in Japan recently ..... but I don't think that's it as my trip next week's been cancelled .........
Aladinsaneuk wrote:
The good news however, is that we can assume that andy's constipation is now cured - and at his age that is a good thing ;)
Strange as it may seem, it was all quite calm - just a case of riding to sort out the slide.

..... I guess all those years as a kid on my bicycle - racing my mates on dirt tracks across the local common has paid off - front end slides and back end slides were a way of life ....
-- Albert Einstein

joecrx
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#13 Post by joecrx » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:16 pm

glad your ok d-rider must of been oil or a wee bit of ice or grit , even warm tyres would not of helped that much, maybe you need a new front wheel :smt001 ill take the old one off you :smt005
Last edited by joecrx on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#14 Post by BikerGran » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Weather, cold tyres, part worn tyres, roads greasy from the horrible salt mixture they use which takes a lot of rain to wash off - plus a little bit of oil just as the last straw?

Bet she doesn't do it with a new tyre on!

I used to have to change the front on my Kwak when it was only half worn if I didn't want odd wobbles over white lines etc.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

joecrx
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#15 Post by joecrx » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:24 pm

BikerGran wrote:Weather, cold tyres, part worn tyres, roads greasy from the horrible salt mixture they use which takes a lot of rain to wash off - plus a little bit of oil just as the last straw?

Bet she doesn't do it with a new tyre on!

I used to have to change the front on my Kwak when it was only half worn if I didn't want odd wobbles over white lines etc.
the white lines i think are round and you will get that i do some times , depends how flat they are , is your wheel alighment ok ?