Rebuilding Loss Of Confidence

Check in here for tips and advice to improve your riding skills. From simple tips for new riders, to info on advanced riding courses like the IAM and RoSPA.
HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#16 Post by HisNibbs » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:35 pm

I think the most likely cause is something on the road. Maybe you had been following the route of some one who a little earlier had been dripping water all ove the road. I constantly see cars trailing water out of their exhausts which would be hard to spot if you come along a couple of minutes after. Front slid until it cleared the patch and then recovered as soon as it got to a dry bit.

Diesel I'd expect you to spot right enough.
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#17 Post by D-Rider » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks for all the helpful hints and "glad you didn't drop its" - much appreciated.

Now I've just got back in from poking and prodding it and have some new info ...

Firstly ... those abrasion marks I photographed .... it may be that they were not part of today's slide but might have been caused when I lifted the bike up when it fell over on my drive a week ago ... don't know one way or the other but it's a possibility and can't be assumed to be a feature of today's escapade.

Checked front wheel bearings, steering head bearings, front brakes, fork action, bottoms of forks (Ohlins ones can crack if done up too tight) .... all OK.

Scrubbed the front wheel with washing up liquid and rinsed with clean water ..... and there was a 2cm band all the way round the right hand side (not right at the edge of the tyre) that the water wouldn't stick to.
Hmmm .... looks as though I must have run through something.
Whatever it was, it hadn't been shifted by neat washing up liquid and a scrubbing brush ..... so I attacked it with wire wool, rinsed it again and the whole tyre wetted nicely.

Wonder whether I'll pick up another load of whatever it was when I go again tonight ..........

New wheels/tyres will be going on shortly.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Samray
Double World Champion

#18 Post by Samray » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Looks like you have it sussed. :smt023
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#19 Post by D-Rider » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:29 pm

You could be right Sam .... though it's one of the scenarios that doesn't help rebuild the confidence - too many thoughts of "there might be slippery stuff that I can't see waiting to get me" ....

Still, hopefully now tracked down ...
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#20 Post by MartDude » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:47 pm

D-Rider wrote: .... though it's one of the scenarios that doesn't help rebuild the confidence - too many thoughts of "there might be slippery stuff that I can't see waiting to get me"
Oh yes.

I had a similar experience 2 1/2 years ago - lost the front at about 35 mph on a lane near Oswestry, for no immediately obvious reason - didn't have chance to react. I thought at the time it could have been down to a combination of a little gravel, damp road, mud/animal droppings, diesel/hydraulic fluid from farm vehicles etc. etc; and I was thinking, perhaps a little too hard, about getting to Grandad's cafe on the A49 for a late lunch. But I still don't know for certain exactly what happened - except that it resulted in a written-off bike, concussion, battered knee (still sore) and a further slight re-alignment of a dodgy back.

I still find myself recalling that event when I come across a suspicious-looking surface - patch of gravel, mud from tractors, wet leaves etc.
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#21 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:58 pm

D-Rider wrote:Scrubbed the front wheel with washing up liquid and rinsed with clean water ..... and there was a 2cm band all the way round the right hand side (not right at the edge of the tyre) that the water wouldn't stick to.
I thought as much when looking at the first photo of your front tyre (he said with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight...) The part next to the unscrubbed portion has a decidedly 'greasy' look to it.

I'd go with HisNibbs assessment - you've unwittingly ridden through something viscous and oily, and only found out about it when you tipped into the roundabout.

Glad you got away with it, btw. Good save...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#22 Post by D-Rider » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:13 pm

Cheers Graham - that's what it would seem to be .... though it didn't feel greasy when I checked it over.
Just shows how difficult it can be to work these things out.
-- Albert Einstein

herbacious
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#23 Post by herbacious » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:01 pm

wow sounds like you deserve some kudos for getting away with that one!

sure i would have spilled

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#24 Post by MartDude » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Yes, compliments on your skills & quick reactions there - obviously better than mine!
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#25 Post by randomsquid » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Well done on the catch, odd how much time slows down isn't it?

I survived a nasty one a few years ago in the wet, more through luck than judgement. Didn't fall off but put my back and shoulder out.
:smt009
Where ever I lay my hat.....

HowardQ
World Champion

#26 Post by HowardQ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:47 pm

Glad to hear you've got your head around it Andy.
Helps your confidence a lot if you can eventually explain it.
I have always rubbed down new tyres with some medium to coarse Emery cloth, to bed them in, might help in your case to clean the tyre up.
After that it's just about the usual trick of getting out on the bike again quickly and building the confidence back up.
When I had my off a few years ago, I was still a bit twitchy in the same circumstances for a few months, otherwise OK.
Good luck.
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#27 Post by HisNibbs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:01 am

I think confidence possibly isn't what is wanted.

Certainly not confidence in that there won't be any thing slippery to catch you out on the next bend, because frequently there will be. I try to adopt the ride it to the slide aproach and in the dry on good surfaces I don't often get there. In the wet and greacy conditions it's the norm, but if your expecting it and used to it then if it starts a little early then its not a big problem.
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#28 Post by D-Rider » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:13 am

Ah - but that's what I don't have the confidence to do. I don't mind things sliding on the dirt but on tarmac I can't get my head around it sliding and that not being terminal (despite a pretty good record for controlling and saving slides when they do occur). Have always had the view on tarmac that if it slides, the grip has been dramatically reduced from "normal" and that success is a combination of good reactions, riding ability and luck .... and I don't like that last element.
TBH the problem is in the mind - and really that is a confidence thing.

The other confidence thing is that I've lost confidence in this particular front tyre but that will soon be remedied as it's worn out and the new one is already on a rim and will soon be fitted and scrubbed in.
-- Albert Einstein

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#29 Post by BikerGran » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm with you on the confidence thing - it's confidence that helps you ride through a problem like that and come out unscathed the other side - the smallest bit of doubt creeping in changes everything, inclusing your attitude and the bike's attitude.

I always reckon the only way I survived my bike/dog interface when I was on L plates was cos I was too inexperienced to know there was no way I could save that one!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

K_D
Despatch Rider

#30 Post by K_D » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:38 pm

You sure are a tough old bird BG :smt003

Glad to hear your ok.