Notice of Intended Prosecution received - any advice?

Check in here for tips and advice to improve your riding skills. From simple tips for new riders, to info on advanced riding courses like the IAM and RoSPA.
SkinnyPinny
Despatch Rider

Notice of Intended Prosecution received - any advice?

#1 Post by SkinnyPinny » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:14 am

hi all,
after 25 years plus of clean licence,
I received the above notice this week from the Cambs Constab, 59 mph in a 40, at 23:59
:smt013
I am thinking that I be best just accepting it and hoping the points and fine aint too great,
I could add a letter, it was late, empty road, 25 years no convictions, etc
but, any advice from anyone greatfully received.
Skinny

Samray
Double World Champion

#2 Post by Samray » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:42 am

I could add a letter, it was late, empty road, 25 years no convictions, etc
Gives the impression that you intentionally sped.
An apology for a momentary lapse after 25 years sounds better than an apology for getting caught. :smt002

HowardQ
World Champion

#3 Post by HowardQ » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:38 pm

Would agree with Samray's comment above.
Also, you can't really to refuse admit it was you by not signing the document anymore, because from 24/9/07 you will get 6 points for refusing to declare the driver/rider, rather than the 3 for speeding.
Last edited by HowardQ on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#4 Post by BikerGran » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:42 pm

Don't make any diffrenece whether you apologise or not, they still want your money! Pay up and smile!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

fastasfcuk
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by fastasfcuk » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:59 pm

just lie down and accept it,i was doing 27 in a thirty and i know i was,fought it in court and put up a good case.your guilty in there eyes and thats it.then it cost me three times as much. :smt013 :smt013

Gio
Double World Champion

#6 Post by Gio » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:29 pm

I'd go to court plead guilty but ask for a chance to say something.

BFG
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by BFG » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:20 pm

It must have arrived within 14 days. Plenty on google about this.

You could ignore it. It's a lottery.
They only have so much funding to pursue people.

The risk of this is the fine could go up, but you're balancing this against the cost of your insurance hike.

When (if) they write to you asking why you didn't reply (In my case this was 4 months later), you can reply that you couldn't possibly remember who was driving at the time.

They have actually created a law amendment now which distorts newtons physical laws. They have said that if they post something first class, in legal terms it HAS arrived. WTF? but there hasn't been a test case.

They'll try and say you must sign the form. The only spaces to sign the form are "I am guilty" and "I state that this person is guilty". Ignore these boxes. Simply scrawl your signature diagonally across a different area of the form. You have then complied with the signature requirement.

Stick to your guns, and they'll probably drop it. If not, they'll just prosecute and you'll be back where you started. Nothing lost.

I've used this successfully when I was caught on an open, empty road doing 83 in a 70. And in another case where I had an NIP for when my brother caught a red light camera in my car, I completely ignored it and the reminder. Never heard anything else.

You can justify(ish) this morally with the argument that it is against your human rights to incriminate yourself. The forms say "how do you plead, guilty? or guilty?".

Don't go to court. They see this as a waste of their time, and it will be a magistrate, not a judge.

SkinnyPinny
Despatch Rider

#8 Post by SkinnyPinny » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:42 pm

cheers for the advice, I have checked out 1 of these 'I can get you off' ads on the net,
they say, if you know you did it, it is better to roll over and pay up, anything other than this will result in increased fine.
Only if there is doubt over whether it was you or whether you actually did break the speed limit should you try their letters,
I guess I will think about it for a while, hmmmmmmmm :smt012

Paulh
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#9 Post by Paulh » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:43 pm

Gio wrote:I'd go to court plead guilty but ask for a chance to say something.

Somehow I can't see that reducing the sentence in your case :smt003

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by Kwackerz » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:51 pm

SP, can you let us know what does eventually become your fate? Not so we can laugh at you, purely that knowledge is power and may help someone else along the way.

Im going to move this to the Info bit, btw.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

Gio
Double World Champion

#11 Post by Gio » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:55 pm

Paulh wrote:
Gio wrote:I'd go to court plead guilty but ask for a chance to say something.

Somehow I can't see that reducing the sentence in your case :smt003

:smt005 Funny isn't it. I regularly speed and have been caught a few times on camera, mostly in the car, yet the only points I've had on my licence in the last 30 years are 3 that I put my name down for instead of my wife. The reason I did that was I have to inform my insurance co if any insured driver has 6 or more points.

Samray
Double World Champion

#12 Post by Samray » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:03 pm

Gio wrote: :smt005 Funny isn't it. I regularly speed and have been caught a few times on camera, mostly in the car, yet the only points I've had on my licence in the last 30 years are 3 that I put my name down for instead of my wife. The reason I did that was I have to inform my insurance co if any insured driver has 6 or more points.
Did you tell em you were in drag that day ? :smt005

Gio
Double World Champion

#13 Post by Gio » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:05 pm

Samray wrote:
Gio wrote: :smt005 Funny isn't it. I regularly speed and have been caught a few times on camera, mostly in the car, yet the only points I've had on my licence in the last 30 years are 3 that I put my name down for instead of my wife. The reason I did that was I have to inform my insurance co if any insured driver has 6 or more points.
Did you tell em you were in drag that day ? :smt005
It was a gatso not the other type

BFG
Despatch Rider

#14 Post by BFG » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:50 am

Gio wrote:Funny isn't it. I regularly speed and have been caught a few times on camera, mostly in the car, yet the only points I've had on my licence in the last 30 years are 3 that I put my name down for instead of my wife.
Funny indeed that we have to go to such lengths. That's potentially perjury or perverting the course of justice. The latter is still in common law as carrying a maximum of a life sentence (though not in practice - max ever was 10 years).

Law is an ass.

Gio
Double World Champion

#15 Post by Gio » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:34 am

BFG wrote:
Gio wrote:Funny isn't it. I regularly speed and have been caught a few times on camera, mostly in the car, yet the only points I've had on my licence in the last 30 years are 3 that I put my name down for instead of my wife.
Funny indeed that we have to go to such lengths. That's potentially perjury or perverting the course of justice. The latter is still in common law as carrying a maximum of a life sentence (though not in practice - max ever was 10 years).

Law is an ass.
Indeed it is and I agree the law is an ass.

But what makes me annoyed is that if there were more police about apart from stopping us breaking the law in that way, they might catch some criminals (no not the driver type) as well as the idiots who are a danger on the road.