Would you give up biking?

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

sidestand
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#16 Post by sidestand » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:57 pm

When I get too old to ride my bikes, I'm gonna get a Harley :smt003

Samray
Double World Champion

#17 Post by Samray » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:59 pm

:smt005

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#18 Post by Kwackerz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:59 pm

I quite like these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-HARLEY-DAVID ... dZViewItem

Maybe I should consider myself as having given up biking already!
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

back_marker
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#19 Post by back_marker » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:03 pm

Got to agree wholeheartedly with Paulh here. I started racing moto x a couple of years ago, mainly just because I was offed a bike and wanted to give it a go, but soon found that I can ride how I'd like to ride, without having to worry about that idiot about to pull out in front of me cos he's on his mobile phone or going round my favourite corner on my favourite piece of rode and finding that there's nice fresh slidey cowshit all over it.

It's also surprising how much you can really push yourself when you're not too concerned about falling off and hurting yourself or worse still damaging your pride and joy.

Trouble is that the Lotus won't stop you getting frustrated about the shitty state of the British roads, or the major overcrowding problem on them.

And finally just remember, one of the best things about bikes is what got you hooked in the first place as a teenager - you can go really fast on two wheels without having to pedal.
Racing is life - anything before or after is just waiting.
- Steve McQueen

Paulh
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#20 Post by Paulh » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:04 pm

Kwackerz wrote:I quite like these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-HARLEY-DAVID ... dZViewItem

Maybe I should consider myself as having given up biking already!

They did a flat tracker version in orange a while ago - that could tempt me back

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#21 Post by D-Rider » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:09 pm

No ... I can't imagine ever giving up.

For too many years while the kids grew up I didn't ride. Bike was off the road - needed rebuilding but never time. Throughout those years I still knew I was a biker and ached to get back on again .... and occasionally got a ride on something.

Then I got my Falco .... and realised that biking was even better than I'd remembered.

The car doesn't get much use these days - love riding - it's sooooo goood ... Give it up ? Nah - couldn't do it

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#22 Post by Kwackerz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:19 pm

back_marker wrote:Got to agree wholeheartedly with Paulh here. I started racing moto x a couple of years ago, mainly just because I was offed a bike and wanted to give it a go, but soon found that I can ride how I'd like to ride, without having to worry about that idiot about to pull out in front of me cos he's on his mobile phone or going round my favourite corner on my favourite piece of rode and finding that there's nice fresh slidey cowshit all over it.

I gave up MZ racing (read budget racing) as it was too expensive. One season, shoestring budget, still crippling.

I think i'd be more inclined (from my own POV) to recommend trackdays. A lot cheaper, you can readily do them with your mates and there's no pressure to be the fastest on track.

Knot
Despatch Rider

#23 Post by Knot » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:10 am

Me and the missus met through bikes and they've always been very central - never thought I'd be without a bike but with a 18 month od and a 2 and a half year old, what can you do. We get precious little time to spend with each other during the week as it is, if either one of us then buggered off on the bike for an afternoon on a weekend then we'd have even less time. Or pay a baby sitter and then spend less time with the kids. So as we live in Southampton I've bought a little boat that we can all muck about in together (even leans 'round corners too)

That said, there's a guy on a black ZX-7R that must do almost exactly the same commute as me ever morning (as he's passed me at some point at all the points on the journey) and every time he winds it on down the "middle lane" of the A34 I feel a pang of *humph*

Then again, some of the crazy undertaking that guy does, I wonder if he does have dependants?

Absolutly no question we'll get bikes again, just a question of when and what (I'm harbouring a secret Buell fetish at the mo)

Samray
Double World Champion

#24 Post by Samray » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:23 am

Hi Knot. Welcome aboard. Nice first post. :smt001

Gio
Double World Champion

Re: Would you give up biking?

#25 Post by Gio » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:36 am

lazarus wrote:Common sense tells me that the combination of bikes and my love of speed is a recipe for disaster. And there's no point in pretending I can not wind the throttle open / not race the guy ahead of me etc - because I cant, no matter how much I try to be sensible. So today I went off to have a trial ride in a Lotus Elise with the idea that a few track days in a car might do the necessary. Fulfill the "need for speed" without being quite so risky.

Lovely car, sticks to the road like sh*t to a blanket, nice gearbox, makes the right noises, even seems well built - but somehow doesnt do it like a bike does. Undoubtedly faster through the corners than any bike but nothing like as sensuous doing it.

I suppose its the classic conflict between common sense and what you really want to do. What do you reckon - could you give up biking? Even after an accident? Which would you chose _ Elise R or bike?

Or is this a daft question to ask on a biking forum?
Well there is a difference, I'm not a speed freak cept on the odd trackday I've done, then last year with the combination of getting my GS stolen and having an off on some shitty welsh road (diesel on the roundabout) I thought I'h hang the leathers up from road riding. ^ months later I was getting pangs and being a nasty bugger at home cos of it. so I've been out on average once a month on what was my Falco, but is now my sons.

I'm now going to get either an older Pan Euro or another GS. They're not that fast either, but I can have some fun on them.

You can stuff the elise its a piece of crap and if you want to know why then I can point you at the gargage thats the major repair centre in the SE.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#26 Post by D-Rider » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:04 am

Knot wrote:Me and the missus met through bikes and they've always been very central - never thought I'd be without a bike but with a 18 month od and a 2 and a half year old, what can you do. We get precious little time to spend with each other during the week as it is, if either one of us then buggered off on the bike for an afternoon on a weekend then we'd have even less time. Or pay a baby sitter and then spend less time with the kids. So as we live in Southampton I've bought a little boat that we can all muck about in together (even leans 'round corners too)

That said, there's a guy on a black ZX-7R that must do almost exactly the same commute as me ever morning (as he's passed me at some point at all the points on the journey) and every time he winds it on down the "middle lane" of the A34 I feel a pang of *humph*

Then again, some of the crazy undertaking that guy does, I wonder if he does have dependants?

Absolutly no question we'll get bikes again, just a question of when and what (I'm harbouring a secret Buell fetish at the mo)

Welcome matey! :smt006

Don't worry, you do come out the other side of this ..... eventually.
So glad I'm back on the bike again ... and your time will come.

I'm gonna get so confused by your username .... same as my surname - except I've a spare "t" at the end of it.
:smt003

Gio
Double World Champion

#27 Post by Gio » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:28 am

D-Rider wrote:I'm gonna get so confused by your username .... same as my surname - except I've a spare "t" at the end of it.
Isn't it D Rider then? :smt002 :smt005

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#28 Post by D-Rider » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Evidently not ..... as you already know from sending me my quiz prize Mr G Io

OMG - I've never realised this before but one of my uni lecturers was Dr R Rider .... with the R being Richard .... which he abbreviated to Dick.
He used to ride some Yamahahaha thingy.

Think I'm gonna have to change my username now - don't want people thinking that I've named myself after someone I know when it was actually chosen in desperation based on the Hawkwind track I happened to be listening to at the time

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#29 Post by Kwackerz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:03 pm

Knot wrote: Absolutly no question we'll get bikes again, just a question of when and what (I'm harbouring a secret Buell fetish at the mo)

There's nothing wrong with a Buell fetish.. :smt002 Well.. apart from the Engine... Exhaust... Suspension...

Just kidding! :smt002

Good to see you posting. Welcome!!

Knot
Despatch Rider

#30 Post by Knot » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:21 pm

D-Rider wrote:
Knot wrote:Me and the missus met through bikes and they've always been very central - never thought I'd be without a bike but with a 18 month od and a 2 and a half year old, what can you do. We get precious little time to spend with each other during the week as it is, if either one of us then buggered off on the bike for an afternoon on a weekend then we'd have even less time. Or pay a baby sitter and then spend less time with the kids. So as we live in Southampton I've bought a little boat that we can all muck about in together (even leans 'round corners too)

Welcome matey! :smt006

Don't worry, you do come out the other side of this ..... eventually.
So glad I'm back on the bike again ... and your time will come.

I'm gonna get so confused by your username .... same as my surname - except I've a spare "t" at the end of it.
Funnily enough, my missus has been on Ridersite for years, when we first met, I came along to a RS meet at Box Hill before I'd registered on RS, everyone kept asking me "who are you on ridersite?" and I kept saying "I'm not" so I then signed on to RS as Knot, fer laffs