Would you give up biking?

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

Shebee
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict
Main bike: 1100 Ducati Scrambler

#46 Post by Shebee » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:06 pm

Absolutly not!

When my hips got so bad I couldnt ride the 'big' bikes any more I bought a twist and go stepthrough scooter... and took it to rallies!

It was an Italjet Dragster 180 (70mph on little wheels is "interesting", and the lever on the left is NOT the clutch... repeat until you stop locking the back wheel at juntions!) and it gave me a lot of giggles and kept me from going (more) completely insane.

After my ops I was not allowed to drive or ride for 6 weeks cos of insurance limitations - in both cases 6 weeks and a day I was back on the road and everyone arround me heaved a huge sigh of relief :smt048

I think there are those amongst us who should get grants from the govenrment .. we are an opressed minoroty with mental health issues :smt006
There is only one way of life and that's your own.

Samray
Double World Champion

#47 Post by Samray » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:11 pm

The dressing up hastle is something that irks me too Laz. Especially that bloody helmet!
I'd be out far more often if it was just a case of slipping on the jacket and riding off on impulse.

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

Re: Would you give up biking?

#48 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:02 pm

Even if you're worried about safety, I can't see why you'd need to give up. Risk is a part of life.

Just perhaps take those decisions to a place where the worst outcome is A) Less likely to happen and B) Less likely to result in a serious injury.

For example if you're competitive and can't help but try and keep-up or catch up, stop road riding and just do track days. Or limit your road riding and take up trials riding. There's never a good excuse to give up riding. You can still get your biking fix.

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#49 Post by RiceBurner » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm

I've considered it, normally while lying face up on tarmac, or an ambulance cot.......

But - having just spent 18 months off the bikes (travelling in a van around Europe), NO WAY JOSE!! I couldn't WAIT to get back on 2 wheels!

Robski
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

#50 Post by Robski » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:48 pm

I was forced too bout decade ago (just saying that nakes me feel fookin old). The TL blew the bottom end and that was that. Sold it for parts and with my second kid on the way, i was working 2 jobs and broke to fuck, i just couldnt afford another, nor had the time to rise. Now have 3 kids but financially alot better off, the thoughts of buying a cheapo vmax or summink have entered my mind. Couldnt do sportsbikes now, the old bones wouldnt take it. House sell from hell is ending next week, so hoping the next 12 months or so allow me to get back on 2 wheels 😊

Couchy
Despatch Rider

#51 Post by Couchy » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:25 am

Nope, there'll always be a bike with an engine in the garage. I ride the pedal type a lot more now but wouldn't be without a motorbike or two

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#52 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:36 pm

The only way I'll give up biking is when I'm too infirm to get the thing out of the shed. Either that or if I go gaga. But by that time I'll have ceased caring...

Gio
Double World Champion

#53 Post by Gio » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:10 pm

Ben wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:02 pm
Even if you're worried about safety, I can't see why you'd need to give up. Risk is a part of life.

Just perhaps take those decisions to a place where the worst outcome is A) Less likely to happen and B) Less likely to result in a serious injury.

For example if you're competitive and can't help but try and keep-up or catch up, stop road riding and just do track days. Or limit your road riding and take up trials riding. There's never a good excuse to give up riding. You can still get your biking fix.
I've decided to swap the controls on my CB400 as with a knackered right wrist I can't twist the throttle properly. So left hand will be throttle/brake and right clutch as I still have a good grip in my right.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"