London traffic!

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

London traffic!

#1 Post by Ben » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:14 am

I appreciate that London is busy and to non-Londoners it's a hell hole.

Pre lockdown, the traffic was bad but you could get a bike through. But now with people starting to go back to work and no-one wanted to take public transport, the traffic is horrendous. It's now at the point where you can't even keep flowing on a motorcycle. With pavement widening and people bumper to bumper, it's literally grid-locked.

I've had a few conversations with other bikers on the way in and one said "It's at the point where the bike isn't viable".

So what's it like where you are? I'm interested to know if it's a similar situation in your town?

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

Re: London traffic!

#2 Post by katie1 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:46 am

I moved from London to Oxford - the traffic is worse!
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:33 am

We're currently in a sleepy little village in Southern France, with a population of around 1000 people. So not really comparable with central London... :smt003

The 'rush hour' occurs about 16:00 during the week, when the kids leave primary school. It lasts about 5 minutes...

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

#4 Post by katie1 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:18 pm

mangocrazy wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:33 am
We're currently in a sleepy little village in Southern France, with a population of around 1000 people. So not really comparable with central London... :smt003

The 'rush hour' occurs about 16:00 during the week, when the kids leave primary school. It lasts about 5 minutes...
Are you not forgetting the lunatic runs from office to home, and back, at lunchtime? :smt005
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:00 pm

I retired at the end of July, so it's now a lunatic run from garage to kitchen at lunchtime... :smt003

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#6 Post by BikerGran » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:31 pm

You should try living in Dorset! I haven't seen the sea since the beginning of lockdown. No I lie, I did go to the little village where my daughter lives - never seen so many people there! Had to be really aggressive to get through the village - there's only one street and it's narrow and most of the bloody, sorry stupid visitors have no idea how wide their cars aren't. If you give way to anyone the next hundred think it's ok to push through. I'm in a van, I'd hate to try it on a bike.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

madmachine
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

#7 Post by madmachine » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:29 am

mangocrazy wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:33 am

That sounds heavenly *sigh*