Ride Suggestions out of London

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

stefanb
Despatch Rider

Ride Suggestions out of London

#1 Post by stefanb » Mon May 25, 2020 8:16 pm

Hey guys!
What are your favourite day rides out of London and back?
I'm putting in the miles on my learner bike and doing around 250m a weekend. Trying to pick a place 60 miles from SW London.
The aim would be to get there in a couple of hours, take some breaks, see a small village, have lunch and come back.
Any route suggestions? :smt035

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

Re: Ride Suggestions out of London

#2 Post by katie1 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:14 pm

I beleive Durham is nice this time of year?

Just trying to beat Fatboy to it :)
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#3 Post by katie1 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:16 pm

But seriously, you should head towards Eastbourne. Use the small roads and then turn around when you've had enough. Build up your miles, experience and confidence but don't ride until you're exhausted, the trip home will be hard!
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.

fatboy
World Champion

#4 Post by fatboy » Tue May 26, 2020 1:40 pm

katie1 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:14 pm
I beleive Durham is nice this time of year?

Just trying to beat Fatboy to it :)
That cracked me up :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Barnards Castle has had a few very recent reviews on TripAdvisor
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

fatboy
World Champion

#5 Post by fatboy » Tue May 26, 2020 1:52 pm

Good advice from Katie,
Try looking at one of those old fashioned map thingys , one which shows places of interest, pick a nice looking destination and of you go !
Further digital research would probably enhance your trip :smt023
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

stefanb
Despatch Rider

#6 Post by stefanb » Tue May 26, 2020 3:45 pm

That Eastbourne suggestion sounds very good. I just went to Oxford over the weekend and the road to Windsor and then to Henley was ok but after that... it was just boring...I wished I was on a faster bike just to get it over with.

Shebee
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict
Main bike: 1100 Ducati Scrambler

#7 Post by Shebee » Tue May 26, 2020 6:49 pm

Some of the back roads round Battle and herstmonceux are nice , what we refer to as Grom roads, depending on where you are in london a bibble down the A22 and divert across the forest at forest row towards hartfield , crowborough, frant, heathfield and down to battle (Its mostlY a 40/50 limit Across the forest but interesting scenery and watch out for the deer if you are there at dusk or dawn,)
There is only one way of life and that's your own.

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#8 Post by katie1 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:38 pm

stefanb wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:45 pm
That Eastbourne suggestion sounds very good. I just went to Oxford over the weekend and the road to Windsor and then to Henley was ok but after that... it was just boring...I wished I was on a faster bike just to get it over with.
Yeah, Oxford is rubbish, I know, I live here! You can find lots of fun little roads but if you don't know the area you can waste a day trailing through dreary, 30 mph, built-up villages. Used to live further south and most of the good roads were in East Sussex, as Shebee says :smt001

stefanb
Despatch Rider

#9 Post by stefanb » Wed May 27, 2020 9:37 pm

Thanks Shebee! Plugged that route into google and got a 2h:30min ride. Perfect! I have to take breaks tho since my 6ft2 don t sit too comfortable on my cbf125. I must admit... There are two things that I am looking forward to for when I get to my 3000miles target and go for DAS.. a taller bike and a bike that can go up a hill without losing all the power...

Shebee
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict
Main bike: 1100 Ducati Scrambler

#10 Post by Shebee » Thu May 28, 2020 10:25 am

You might have some hill struggles on the route, but its round about one of my bibbles on the grom when i fancy a slower ride than the scrambler. So I know all about the hill power loss! There is usually an ice cream van or 2 on the forest and, once they open, various tea shops In the little villages. The farm shop here http://perryhillorchards.co.uk does a great breakfast (again once the cafe is open). Enjoy!
There is only one way of life and that's your own.