The Borough of Hackney are looking to charge motorcycles for parking- consultation

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

Katana
Despatch Rider

The Borough of Hackney are looking to charge motorcycles for parking- consultation

#1 Post by Katana » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:27 pm

The London borough of Hackney are looking to charge for motorcycling parking, so if you could fill in the consultation questionnaire to help your fellow biker please do.

https://consultation.hackney.gov.uk/par ... torcycles/

Thank you

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

Re: The Borough of Hackney are looking to charge motorcycles for parking- consultation

#2 Post by katie1 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:08 pm

Done. Used the following:

According to a Belgian study, if 10% of us swapped our cars for motorcycles, there would be 20% more parking spaces and a 40% fall in traffic congestion for all. The resulting reduction of congestion would have a massive positive impact on the levels of pollution from all vehicles, regardless of their individual emissions.
The economic and financial impact of congestion would also be reduced. Congestion has a huge effect on the economy, with one report by The INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard suggesting it could cost the UK economy £30bn annually.
Our roads would require less maintenance and would be a safer place for motorcyclists (aka citizens!) to ride. Because you can fit three motorcycles into a regular car parking space, the effects on parking availability would be profound.
The study also modelled a scenario whereby 25% of drivers swapped their cars for scooters or mopeds. The result was a complete elimination of congestion.
With the above in mind, no I don't believe increasing barriers to motorcycling brings any benefit to Hackney

Then added:

Increasing levels of safety and security for motorcyclists should not be seen as a side benefit to a more punitive scheme. Following my previous proposals, this should be done a s away of increasing PTW traffic, not reducing it!
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

Re: The Borough of Hackney are looking to charge motorcycles for parking- consultation

#3 Post by Ben » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:01 am

Done, although these consultations always feel like a case of "It's happening but here's a form that might make you feel like you have a view". Remember the No To Bike Parking Tax protests?

Gio
Double World Champion

#4 Post by Gio » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:36 am

Done, but I always feel these surveys get ignored, they'll just do what they want anyway b'stards.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"