Mainstand. Should it stay or should it go.

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

wastegate
Despatch Rider

Mainstand. Should it stay or should it go.

#1 Post by wastegate » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:09 pm

Sportsbike dont have them, even Hornets didn't. No use taking a wheel out to repair a tyre by the roadside with tubeless tyres. Weigh lots, look pants and I have grounded one out in the bad old days. On our Jota I am sure it gave me a hernia on a number of occasions when loaded for touring ( no side stand weirdly ). Lethal on a ferry. Lastly we all have paddock stands littering the garage/shed for oiling/replacing chains etc. So I have taken them off Blackbirds, cb500's, zzr600 as what use would one be ?

But .. on the CBF1000 finding it rather useful . Wash the bike and lift the front wheel to spin it around one handed. To drop the front wheel /forks, repeat and just place a chock of wood under the exhaust and its super stable, replace the rear shock .. easy ( not too long a replacement mind ).

Am I just getting old and should just take it off or do other people use them and like them? Should I be ashamed to be seen with one fitted in a public place?
Confused of Milton Keynes.
GSXS1000, CB300R, Beta Evo and CBF1000F.

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

Re: Mainstand. Should it stay or should it go.

#2 Post by RiceBurner » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:54 pm

I wouldn't have a bike without one (if it can be fitted).

(But then - I don't ride as quick as you!)

wastegate
Despatch Rider

#3 Post by wastegate » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:14 pm

RiceBurner wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:54 pm

Thats very kind of you but never really true. Now old age has slowed me down hugely I leave all the going fast to the younger ones like Animal.

But why do you like one ( mainstand ), especially with a shaftie? I thought the best paddock stands were single sided ( BMW/DUCATI ) so why have you kept one on a rockster ? Genuine question.

PS Ooops Rockster not Rockstar. But dont you want to be great like Elvis, without the tassels?

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#4 Post by BikerGran » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:36 pm

Centre stand on a shaftie - my old GT550 had one, it was a bit necessary as it had a sightglass for oil level rather than a dipstick. But it was great for getting the rear wheel out (which even Mr Haynes said you'd need to hang the bike up for. Block of wood under the centre stand and getting the wheel out was easy. Same with changing shocks.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:54 pm

It's all about ground clearance, innit? Last new bike I bought that had one was a mid-90's VFR 750. Very useful, though. Makes chain oiling away from home dead easy.

Animal
Despatch Rider

#6 Post by Animal » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:23 am

If fitted, they're great.
Only ever had clearance problems on my old K12RS, where the centre stand would deck out with alarming regularity.

Not got one on any of the current bikes. Twinkie is a PITA to get on a paddock stand too (due to two rear brakes...)
BMW HP2
BMW K1300S
Honda Africa Twin DCT aka Twinkie

Life’s too short for only one motorbike.

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#7 Post by RiceBurner » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:36 am

wastegate wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:14 pm
RiceBurner wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:54 pm

Thats very kind of you but never really true. Now old age has slowed me down hugely I leave all the going fast to the younger ones like Animal.

But why do you like one ( mainstand ), especially with a shaftie? I thought the best paddock stands were single sided ( BMW/DUCATI ) so why have you kept one on a rockster ? Genuine question.

PS Ooops Rockster not Rockstar. But dont you want to be great like Elvis, without the tassels?
It makes wheel cleaning and tyre changing easy, plus the oil checking as Bikergran mentioned. Nice and stable for packing the bike too.
Weight concerns on a road bike are irrelevant, and i tend to jack up the rear anyway so I've never touched it down.

fatboy
World Champion

#8 Post by fatboy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:01 pm

Some bikes were fitted with a centre stand and the ergonomics clearly hadn't been thought out,simply added as everything else had one.
As it works, enjoy it
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

wastegate
Despatch Rider

#9 Post by wastegate » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:20 am

Well thats been interesting, thanks people. It looks like mainstands are great for the garage & drive and, other than packing when touring, dont do a lot for when your out. The only other thing I can think of is they make the bike footprint much smaller in the garage unless you always use a paddock stand.

I have an Abba stand that lifts the bike from the swing arm pivot but never trusted it that much on bikes with solid spindles. Also thought it might mark the frame. Might try that anyway.

Was hoping to get out on the CBF today but popped out and the cars are all iced up :( .

Cheers

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#10 Post by RiceBurner » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:55 am

wastegate wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:20 am
Well thats been interesting, thanks people. It looks like mainstands are great for the garage & drive and, other than packing when touring, dont do a lot for when your out. The only other thing I can think of is they make the bike footprint much smaller in the garage unless you always use a paddock stand.

I have an Abba stand that lifts the bike from the swing arm pivot but never trusted it that much on bikes with solid spindles. Also thought it might mark the frame. Might try that anyway.

Was hoping to get out on the CBF today but popped out and the cars are all iced up :( .

Cheers
FWIW in a busy parking area the centre-stand is useful as the bike will take up less 'real-estate'* than it does on the side-stand. Very useful in crowded london bike-parking bays and other places.

I also use the centre-stand on the ferry (if I can). It's less likely to bend when the deck-hands strap down the ratchet straps so tight that the bike's frame flexes. :smt013

* I'm embarrassed to say that I either can't think of, or have utterly forgotten the 'english' nomencluature for 'real-estate' (which is an americanism).

wastegate
Despatch Rider

#11 Post by wastegate » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:26 pm

RiceBurner wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:55 am

FWIW in a busy parking area the centre-stand is useful as the bike will take up less 'real-estate'* than it does on the side-stand. Very useful in crowded london bike-parking bays and other places.

I also use the centre-stand on the ferry (if I can). It's less likely to bend when the deck-hands strap down the ratchet straps so tight that the bike's frame flexes. :smt013

* I'm embarrassed to say that I either can't think of, or have utterly forgotten the 'english' nomencluature for 'real-estate' (which is an americanism).
I can see London parking being the main reason to keep one on. But then I would also have to loose about 5 stones to be able to get out from some of the bays I have passed, or do you climb on the seat and jump off the top box?

Grounds? Estate? ..... me neither. Footprint will do.

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#12 Post by RiceBurner » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:33 pm

I also think that the centre-stand is more stable if you're going to park up and sit on the bike, or, in my case, lie along it with my feet on the bars, resting my head comfortably on the topbox. :D

Katana
Despatch Rider

#13 Post by Katana » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:31 pm

I like a center stand for the stable parking, ferry and maintenance reasons.

Gio
Double World Champion

#14 Post by Gio » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:14 pm

RiceBurner wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:33 pm
I also think that the centre-stand is more stable if you're going to park up and sit on the bike, or, in my case, lie along it with my feet on the bars, resting my head comfortably on the topbox. :D
Calais after Assen (2002)?, French idiots on strike again, about 5000 bikes decided to head north to Dunkirk. I spent a very nice afternoon asleep on my bike, but I had my head under the screen with my feet on the side luggage (Old shape Pan Euro). Easily one of the most comfortable bikes to kip on :smt005
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

#15 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:36 am

Surely if you're grinding it out, you need a bit more preload or fewer helpings of Christmas pud and brandy butter?