Mainstand. Should it stay or should it go.

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

Re: Mainstand. Should it stay or should it go.

#16 Post by RiceBurner » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:06 pm

Ben wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:36 am
Surely if you're grinding it out, you need a bit more preload or fewer helpings of Christmas pud and brandy butter?
That. :D

Mind you - depends on the bike - I could get the stand down on the V50 with ease.

wastegate
Despatch Rider

#17 Post by wastegate » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:57 am

RiceBurner wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:06 pm
Ben wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:36 am
Surely if you're grinding it out, you need a bit more preload or fewer helpings of Christmas pud and brandy butter?
That. :D

Mind you - depends on the bike - I could get the stand down on the V50 with ease.
Its a generation thing. I did it on a 70's honda cb750K7 with massive 4-4 pipes and leaking knackered shocks. I was used to my Honda cb400F2 with its yoshi 4-1 and ( for the day ) good handling ( but brakes that didn't work in the wet and tyres that you just fell off if it got moist ... ahh the `great` 70's) and we all rode bolt upright. Bikes since the early 90's just shouldn't really.

When I got the cbf it was set to the lowest preload and it looked like a scooter from the rear. One up I have max preload and it doesn't top out and still has a grusome mismatch of tyre lean ... bizzare. I always loved to try to make a bike handle how I like it ( especially for trackdays ) but haven't been able to justify it for many years as most were fine straight off, partly as I have got much slower, I suspect.

The only drawback is a the moment you steer from the hips rather then the shoulders, which is doing my fat @rse more good! :D
GSXS1000, CB300R, Beta Evo and CBF1000F.

wastegate
Despatch Rider

#18 Post by wastegate » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:11 pm

Well its got to go at somepoint this year. The +20mm ride height from Hagon is actually +25 and the tyre 'just' touches the ground. Not enough to make it unstable but if I have a senior moment and hit the starter with the sidestand down too, its going to end up on the floor.

Best get the Abba stand sorted out ... oh well.

Brandy butter ..... bleeeuuuugh.
GSXS1000, CB300R, Beta Evo and CBF1000F.

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#19 Post by RiceBurner » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:25 pm

wastegate wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:11 pm
Well its got to go at somepoint this year. The +20mm ride height from Hagon is actually +25 and the tyre 'just' touches the ground. Not enough to make it unstable but if I have a senior moment and hit the starter with the sidestand down too, its going to end up on the floor.

Best get the Abba stand sorted out ... oh well.

Brandy butter ..... bleeeuuuugh.

My Rockster is like that (shorter length Paralever arm on the rear), it's not a problem. Mind you - it helps that the Rockster is perfectly balanced on the mainstand and will actually sit on it with both wheels in the air! :D (when fitted with a normal Paralever arm).