Wayne Soman - Hero or villain?

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

Wayne Soman

Hero
60%
Villain
40%

Total votes: 5

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

Wayne Soman - Hero or villain?

#1 Post by Ben » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:13 pm

This is an excerpt from a news story from 2002 about a biker who was caught speeding, having ridden this route across the Brecon Beacons:

https://goo.gl/maps/TWVuouiD5CjSvHUH7
Of course exceeding a speed-limit by as much as 105mph must incur a severe penalty, in an age when Big Brother considers that any motor vehicle doing over 70 is lethal.

But one can feel a certain amount of sympathy for Mr Wayne Soman, who covered more than 40 miles on his big Kawasaki 900 bike in 25 minutes, between Pontypridd and Llandovery, roads that are not usually traffic-infested.

Mr Soman showed some restraint, respecting 30mph limits, and was able to pull up normally at a routine Police check.

But in other places he had ridden at 150mph, and once got up to 165, so of course one must not condemn his year's gaol sentence.

Mr Soman would not have been summonsed had he not made a video recording of the bike's speedometer and tachometer readings during his enthusiastic ride. The Police watched this video before making their arrest. I suppose there is nothing illegal in so recording such items of performance. Whether it is advisable is, clearly, another matter.

The Judge who handled the case admitted that Mr Soman possessed "undoubted driving skills", but said that you mustn't abuse public roads by using them as racetracks.
You'll be pleased to know Mr Soman is alive and well and currently rides a BMW HP4. So what do you reckon, then: hero or villain?

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

Re: Wayne Soman - Hero or villain?

#2 Post by RiceBurner » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Bit of both - obviously (well - without seeing his actual riding) he's got the wherewhithal to ride rapidly which is to be commended, however, his choices of where to use that skillset (and how to brag about it) are somewhat questionable.

Can I vote both ways?

and err - can someone get a ladder? this fence is a touch high to jump off!

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#3 Post by BikerGran » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Same fence, same thoughts!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Gio
Double World Champion

#4 Post by Gio » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:27 pm

Many years ago on my 1st BB I got up to 165 indicated on the M3 before I chickened out, not realizing that I'd been caught by a gatso, however it all turned out happily for me as they had to have 2 pictures as evidence, and they only got 1.
BTW the guys a hero.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Seafarer
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider
Main bike: Harley Roadster

#5 Post by Seafarer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Got to be a fence sitter as well
Back in the 80's as a carefree younger man I had a commute between Worcester city and Dormston in the countryside.
In the day it it was mostly quieter A road 60mph 2 villages of 40mph 2 roundabouts and a short 30mph stretch. Just about 11 miles.
On a good day my VF750Fwould transport me in 11 minutes .
It was exhilarating and I thought skill full untill running through a Radar trap , Cop in the hedge didnt see him.
It was the Not seeing him that was a bit of a wakeup what else had I missed.
If you wish to convict yourself by dashcam then I guess you must expect the sentence
But great fun at the time.

Demonbiker
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider
Main bike: BMW GSA R1200 Adventure

#6 Post by Demonbiker » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:55 pm

40 miles , 25 minutes??

Challenge accepted!! ;-o
THE original Demonbiker from the original Visordown!
BMW GSA R1200 Rallye

fatboy
World Champion

#7 Post by fatboy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:51 pm

Hero for riding according to conditions, hero for ballsy mph,hero as he's still here.....
Fool for recording it
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:03 pm

fatboy wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:51 pm
Hero for riding according to conditions, hero for ballsy mph,hero as he's still here.....
Fool for recording it
Absolutely Paul, why incriminate yourself?

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

#9 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:05 am

Currently 60/40 on the Hero to Villain stakes.

You also have to remember when he was done for this, not many people were strapping a camcorder to their bike, so the chances of being caught were always going to be minimal.