Electric motorcycles - would you?

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

XJR Jason
Despatch Rider

Re: Electric motorcycles - would you?

#16 Post by XJR Jason » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:34 am

mangocrazy wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:57 pm
XJR Jason wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:08 pm
I would go electric, but ....

With electric comes big brother and I bend the rules. Even if big brother isn't directly connected to the vehicle, the charging station will be.
I must admit I hadn't thought of that. Would be very easy to download the contents of memory and logs and scan for any non-standard components while charging...
Just the plugged in here at XYZ time, and then plugged in here at ABC time, distance and time = speeding. If I remember correctly there were case of the same on tolls booths, with ANPR, in Europe some where. You just get sent the ticket.

If it was a car, I wouldn't be bothered/worry, as you can't maintain speed over distance with a car. But having gone from Oxford services to Lingfield in just under an hour, on a bike. You've already had a black box fitted, whether you wanted it or not.

RiceBurner
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

Re: Electric motorcycles - would you?

#17 Post by RiceBurner » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:30 pm

XJR Jason wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:34 am
mangocrazy wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:57 pm
XJR Jason wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:08 pm
I would go electric, but ....

With electric comes big brother and I bend the rules. Even if big brother isn't directly connected to the vehicle, the charging station will be.
I must admit I hadn't thought of that. Would be very easy to download the contents of memory and logs and scan for any non-standard components while charging...
Just the plugged in here at XYZ time, and then plugged in here at ABC time, distance and time = speeding. If I remember correctly there were case of the same on tolls booths, with ANPR, in Europe some where. You just get sent the ticket.

If it was a car, I wouldn't be bothered/worry, as you can't maintain speed over distance with a car. But having gone from Oxford services to Lingfield in just under an hour, on a bike. You've already had a black box fitted, whether you wanted it or not.
That would only really be an issue if you're doing long distances, with repeated re-charging stops, which (currently) isn't the best use case for electric vehicles anyway.
They're far better suited to short distance, repeated journeys where you're only charging at one end (eg the daily commute). Even if you're plugging in at both ends, it's easy enough to plug in 5 minutes after you arrive if you know you've been 'on it'.

I'd be quite happy to have an electric bike for daily commuting and a petrol bike for 'touring/weekends'. Once I sell one of my current 2 bikes I will very likely look into just that.