Forced into fitting alarm by insurance company

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Forced into fitting alarm by insurance company

#1 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:24 pm

I'd delayed insuring the Duke after purchasing it in early December as I knew I wouldn't be riding it until March at the earliest (and the two dumps of snow we've had in March have delayed that even further). So I was a bit miffed when I got a letter from DVLA telling me that I had to either insure the bike or put it on SORN. If I didn't they'd fine me.

So I went to my current insurer and asked for a quote to add the Duke to my existing multi-bike policy. I went through all the questions, including the one 'does it have an alarm/immobiliser/tracker?' to which the answer was No. The girl on the phone said 'give me a few minutes while I contact the insurer'. No problem, I thought.

Imagine my surprise when she came back a few minutes later and informed me that my insurer had declined to quote because no alarm or immobiliser was fitted...! I've always regarded alarms as a waste of time, as everyone just ignores them anyway, and they also can introduce wiring issues and battery drain.

But the insurance company had me over a barrel, as I didn't want to start a standalone policy for the Duke; I wanted it incorporated in my multi-bike policy. Also, any standalone policy would not attract ANY no-claims bonus - it would be just as if I was a first-timer.

So I had to swallow my pride and start searching for an aftermarket alarm. My criteria was simple - cheap and easily fitted (by me). It was really just intended as a get-around to appease the insurance company. This is the one I settled on:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-50-KTM-Duk ... 1340469382?

Apparently (I haven't fitted it yet) it plugs straight into a connector thoughtfully provided by KTM for just that purpose and no cutting and soldering/crimping of cables is required. I'll post up a progress report once I've seen how easy/difficult it actually is. Once I was able to tick the boxes for alarm and immobiliser being present the insurance quote was forthcoming, the bike is now insured, and DVLA are off my case.

Has anyone else encountered this requirement when insuring a bike?

Gio
Double World Champion

#2 Post by Gio » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm

One reason I like the HISS fitted on my BB, absolutely no problems.

My CB400/4 also has an immobilizer when its rebuilt as then I can get fully comp ins for £15 a year lol
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

fatboy
World Champion

#3 Post by fatboy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:41 pm

It's apity you couldnt have said ' I don't need one as I keep a crocodile in the the shed , in the evenings I smoke cystal meth and look out of the window whilst cradling my assult rifle.
Will the insurance company offer you compensation if the Duke gets nicked after having an alarm fitted ?
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Gio
Double World Champion

#4 Post by Gio » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:42 am

fatboy wrote:It's apity you couldnt have said ' I don't need one as I keep a crocodile in the the shed , in the evenings I smoke cystal meth and look out of the window whilst cradling my assult rifle.
Will the insurance company offer you compensation if the Duke gets nicked after having an alarm fitted ?
Hahahaha love it, but he doesn't need an alarm, fit an immobilizer instead, far less to go wrong.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Yes, the immobiliser is the more important function. I want to make sure that the alarm isn't too sensitive. It really pisses me off when a puff of wind sets alarms off - very inconsiderate. It also increases the chance of people ignoring the alarm if it's 'crying wolf' all the time.

fatboy
World Champion

#6 Post by fatboy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Gio wrote:
fatboy wrote:It's apity you couldnt have said ' I don't need one as I keep a crocodile in the the shed , in the evenings I smoke cystal meth and look out of the window whilst cradling my assult rifle.
Hahahaha love it, but he doesn't need an alarm, fit an immobilizer instead, far less to go wrong.
I thought the crocodile was the immobiliser.....

Gio
Double World Champion

#7 Post by Gio » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:11 pm

fatboy wrote:
Gio wrote:
Bit cumbersome to cart around when you ride I would have thought.

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#8 Post by Firestarter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:52 pm

fatboy wrote:
Gio wrote:
It's also part of the alarm, although one component is removable and only sounds when brought into close proximity to the teeth...
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

fatboy
World Champion

#9 Post by fatboy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Firestarter wrote:
fatboy wrote:
Gio wrote:
It's also part of the alarm, although one component is removable and only sounds when brought into close proximity to the teeth...
There you go Gio, Firestarter has solved that problem :smt004

Gio
Double World Champion

#10 Post by Gio » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:09 pm

Great, but the "close to the teeth" is a bit worrying lol

blinkey501
World Champion

#11 Post by blinkey501 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:09 am

I am having to fit a cat 1 alarm to the newly purchased Tornado 1130 I have bought before insurance will touch it.
I have been quoted £260 for the alarm including fitting.
There's a chap called the alarm man on fb who is in coalville who comes highly recommended and will supply a certificate for the install for the insurance.
Tolerance will be our undoing.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Your insurers are more fussy than mine, Jay. Mine just wanted an alarm, any alarm, before they'd quote. The one I've got has an immobiliser built in and can be retro-fitted with a tracker, so ticks all the boxes.

But to be honest I just went with the cheapest and easiest one I could. I'm no fan of alarms and feel the best insurance against theft is keeping the bike out of sight when not in use and steering clear of city centres.

Gio
Double World Champion

#13 Post by Gio » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:48 pm

blinkey501 wrote:I am having to fit a cat 1 alarm to the newly purchased Tornado 1130 I have bought before insurance will touch it.
There's a chap called the alarm man on fb who is in coalville who comes highly recommended and will supply a certificate for the install for the insurance.
Thats not good.

blinkey501
World Champion

#14 Post by blinkey501 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:57 pm

Gio wrote:
blinkey501 wrote:I am having to fit a cat 1 alarm to the newly purchased Tornado 1130 I have bought before insurance will touch it.
There's a chap called the alarm man on fb who is in Coalville who comes highly recommended and will supply a certificate for the install for the insurance.
That's not good.
Well no not really. Insurance is £550 on top. :smt012
Tolerance will be our undoing.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Bloody hell, Jay/ What insurance group is the Tornado? That's Panigale V4 levels of premium...