Let's get this party started...

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Let's get this party started...

#1 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:25 pm

So - i've just bought myself a KTM Duke 690 R, and it's sat outside in the bike shed and it's too cold to even enjoy going out and looking at it for more than a few minutes. Bugger.

I bought the 'R' version as it had lots of extra trick bits, of the sort that a devoted fiddler and fettler like myself might fit. So hopefully I'm a bit ahead of myself and have saved myself some money.

Fat chance, I hear you say. It's just a raised baseline from which the mods will commence.

Good point, well made. Have to agree.

It's getting to something when you're having a conversation with yourself on a motorcycle forum in the run-up to Christmas, isn't it?

Yes. So I'll stop now.

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#2 Post by flatlander » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:03 am

Well nothing so grand but I did just buy a set of beowulf tri oval cans with link pipes and those very nice hangers that get rid of the footpegs that I have wanted for ages looks like Christmas has come early for both of us 😎 happy to swap I'd you get bored
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:02 am

I may just have to refuse your kind offer, Geoff... :smt003

fatboy
World Champion

#4 Post by fatboy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Maybe 'cabin fever's is setting in early, I'm itching to get going with new bits and pieces but first I need to move everything out the bike shed and reduce the width of the workbench by 2.50/300 mm and I can't chuck all my shit outside when it's pissing down and I only have 20 mins of daylight left....
And I'm not in the least bit jealous of your new toy Graham, no ,no no, you are just imagining my jealousy....
Roll on spring :smt002
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:19 pm

I hate winter. I'm sure I should have been born somewhere warmer. We're restricted in the time we can spend outdoors even in the summer by the weather, but in winter that reduces almost to zero. And like you I desperately need to totally rearrange the contents of the bike shed but realistically it will be months before I can do that. Grrrr...

Would your pangs of jealousy be helped by details of what I have planned for the new purchase?

Probably not... :smt001

Gio
Double World Champion

#6 Post by Gio » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:25 pm

Well I've been out for the last 4 hours, cycling, got very hot and sweaty so glad its cold as it'd be a nightmare in hot weather. Covered 45 miles in that time. :smt001
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by mangocrazy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:12 pm

True, that's the way to treat winter - get out there and exercise.

fatboy
World Champion

#8 Post by fatboy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:06 pm

OK Graham, milk this for all its worth and rub our noses in it.....
Gloat over revealing your plans....

You know I'd do the same :smt003

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

#9 Post by katie1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Well, if anyone is feeling terribly sad about not having any projects, I have to fit my VFR's auxiliary lights next week?

No?

Bugger...
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:31 pm

What are these auxiliary light of which you speak? Surely you're not festooning the poor VFR with seasonal chav LED tat, complete with illuminated Santa? Or is that how you decorate your living rooms down Oxford way... :smt003

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#11 Post by Greg » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:08 am

Well.. there's a KTM link here ...

I've just stripped a Falco motor, just for shits and giggles mostly as I found out the the parts I wanted from a donor had already been scavenged ...

Anyway, once I'd got as far as heaving the pistons off, I realised that the gudgeon pin was about the same size as the one I was looking for for my KTM barrel conversion.

What Conversion's that? I hear you ask. Well, I have one of the few remaining LC4 400E's left, but it's always been a little chuffly and wuffly rather than the braaaaap that I've come to enjoy from the Falco. Anyway, a couple of years ago I picked up a 540 cylinder and piston (with no pin) with a view to dropping it onto my 400's bottom end. KTM in their infinite wisdom used a few key components but did a mix and match to achieve a greater range of engine sizes. The 540 was originally long stroke, but the 400 is short, but the 540's bore is greater, so effectively I'm making a 475 out of the short stroke wide bore combination that I've got, Throw an FCR41 into the mix and I'll have the best single cylinder motor that KTM never made...
You don't get a warm-up lap for life...

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

#12 Post by katie1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:17 am

mangocrazy wrote:What are these auxiliary light of which you speak? Surely you're not festooning the poor VFR with seasonal chav LED tat, complete with illuminated Santa? Or is that how you decorate your living rooms down Oxford way... :smt003
Only the classiest tat for Oxford :smt003

Although, the idea of festooning the bike holds some appeal...
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Greg wrote:Well.. there's a KTM link here ...

I've just stripped a Falco motor, just for shits and giggles mostly as I found out the the parts I wanted from a donor had already been scavenged ...

Anyway, once I'd got as far as heaving the pistons off, I realised that the gudgeon pin was about the same size as the one I was looking for for my KTM barrel conversion.

What Conversion's that? I hear you ask. Well, I have one of the few remaining LC4 400E's left, but it's always been a little chuffly and wuffly rather than the braaaaap that I've come to enjoy from the Falco. Anyway, a couple of years ago I picked up a 540 cylinder and piston (with no pin) with a view to dropping it onto my 400's bottom end. KTM in their infinite wisdom used a few key components but did a mix and match to achieve a greater range of engine sizes. The 540 was originally long stroke, but the 400 is short, but the 540's bore is greater, so effectively I'm making a 475 out of the short stroke wide bore combination that I've got, Throw an FCR41 into the mix and I'll have the best single cylinder motor that KTM never made...
Didn't KTM start out by using Rotax motors for their single cylinder 4T bikes, or am I imagining that? May be the reason why a Falco piston pin works with your 540 piston. The extra capacity should pep the bike up a bit...

fatboy
World Champion

#14 Post by fatboy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 pm

So I guess your plans for the orange one do not include led lights, inflatable Santa's and the sort of classy tat that one might find in Oxford ? :smt002

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:26 pm

fatboy wrote:So I guess your plans for the orange one do not include led lights, inflatable Santa's and the sort of classy tat that one might find in Oxford ? :smt002
You're clearly a perceptive chap, Paul... :)

However the colour orange will probably feature in some purchases, so you may wish to save those words and use them in evidence against me at a later date...