The replacement?

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: S1000RR, 1290 SDGT

The replacement?

#1 Post by katie1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Ok, as part of my ongoing mission to select a suitable alternative for when the Falco gets too hard to fix/find bits for (started when I got rid of the second one -not doing too well so far!) I've spotted another possibility

Even stranger, it's a Ducati..

Specifically, the new 939 Supersport.

http://supersport.ducati.com/en_ww/#technology

I've ridden the Hyperstrada on the road and the 939 (and 1299) Panigale on track so know the engine is sweet. However, they're going down the route of making a road sensible(?) version with the Supersport.
Less extreme riding position, 210kg (kerb weight) and 810mm seat height so the dimensions sound pretty good. The S version has decent suspension and up and down quickshifter (found down shift really hard to get my head round on track!) and off course comes in red :smt001

Marketing has it as a road, commuter and touring bike but I have an innate distrust of calling a 16 litre tank 'touring'! I'm sure fuel economy technology must be getting there but...

So, worth a look? If it turns out to be the next perfect bike, anyone fancy a group buy? :smt003
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:18 pm

I must admit I was quite taken with the 939 SS when I saw it (and sat on it) at the NEC show. Like you say, it's almost sensible, but I'd worry about how it would take to a diet of salt, rain and fog.

My personal left-field Italian favourite as a (wildly overpriced) replacement for the Falco (not that I have any intentions of ever parting with it) would be this:

http://mvagusta.com/en-gb/motorcycles/t ... eloce-800/

It's a sports-tourer with an upright position that doesn't look like it's a wannabe off-roader, and which is light in a way that nothing else in that class manages. I've been wondering for years why manufacturers don't use all the sports bike technology they have to built light sports tourers, and it seems that MV really have done it.

Oh yes, and it has a 22 litre fuel tank...

The cynical among you will say that a Yamaha MT09 Tracer will do very much the same for 3 or 4 grand less, and you'd be right, but the MV just leaves the MT09 for dead in the looks stakes.

Gio
Double World Champion

#3 Post by Gio » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:28 pm

After having ridden a 916 on track at Imola about 10 years ago I've not thought much of the current Duc's, over weight and over priced, but then they are all heading that way. Unless of course they introduce the old Alfa disease.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

fatboy
World Champion

#4 Post by fatboy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:22 pm

This is an almost painful reminder, my bike is now an elderly gent, so good at what it does but I know it cant do it forever. Not possible to ride without exploiting what makes it so much fun...
Katie, if there were to be a group buy, give me a little warning so I can rob a bank, I have fallen totally in lust with that thing, I would need two, one in red, one in white
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#5 Post by katie1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:28 am

I suppose now would be a good time to update this post?

I test rode the Ducati Supersport S! Booked a ride with On Yer Bike in Aylesbury last week and had the pleasure of it actually being dry, hot and sunny, yay! :smt004

Anyway, the Duc is very attractive up close, slim and fairly lightweight. You sit in the bike in a similar way to the Falco but all resemblance ends there.

I set the mode to 'Sport' as there doesn't seem to be much point choosing anything else (did the same with the Shiver - all other modes are just...less) and set off.

Throttle response is a bit jerky at first and the engine leaps in the same way as the Hyperstrada when you crack the throttle open - fun but not smooth!

Handling is fantastic, really light and takes no effort, even with brand new tyres :smt002

What I didn't like was that it is just too upright! The riding position is very similar to the Yamaha XJ6 Diversion and there is no room in the saddle to slide back and get nicely laid down over the tank :smt009

The adjustable screen is tiny and, in real world terms, would do little in the way of weather protection. Not too bad for aerodynamics but that's all, although I understand there is a bigger version coming out. The tank size of 16l was much condemned in the dealership as 'way too small' for calling itself a touring bike of any kind

Overall, it was fun to take the bike out but I was glad to give it back!

Now, the strange thing is, when I went to the shop for the test ride, I saw a lovely looking 2015 white(!) VFR800. It didn't have a price on it but, having tried one before, I asked if it was for sale. Turned out it had just come in and so I took that for a test after the Duc. The difference was amazing!
Yes, it's heavy but the centre of gravity is so low you'll never feel it unless you drop it. The V4 and VTEC thing is now well and truly sorted and it runs a lot closer to my old VFR750 - loads of acceleration, low down power and fun :)

The ABS is perfect and I didn't get anywhere close to triggering the traction control (easy to turn off, even on the move). Suspension and handling are easy, smooth and just let you ride.

Low seat height (adjustable), comfy and a nice reach to the bars that would feel very familiar to a Falco rider. LED lights front and rear (although weirdly, not the indicators), heated grips and centre stand fitted as standard.
Oh, and this one has an Arrow can that makes a gorgeous burble on the overrun :smt007

Will be picking it up tomorrow having had it's dealer service and R&Gs fitted. Waiting for the Givi rack to arrive so might have to fit that myself but looking forward to another bike in time for summer :smt004
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#6 Post by Greg » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:02 am

Katie... Are you a bloke? cos if you are you could quite possibly turn me..

:smt007

Kidding really, but it's great to hear a lady getting 'blokey' about bikes - I just wish my Mrs. was as appreciative!

G
You don't get a warm-up lap for life...

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#7 Post by katie1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Hang on, I'm a girl, why would I need to turn you first? :smt017

Seriously, I made a point of missing out the bits about carrying shopping and the different colour options just so I didn't scare anyone. Oh, and it was an impulse buy! :smt002

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by D-Rider » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:58 pm

katie1 wrote: Seriously, I made a point of missing out the bits about carrying shopping and the different colour options just so I didn't scare anyone. Oh, and it was an impulse buy! :smt002
Ahem! .... I think you will find that one of the first things you mentioned is that it is white.

Granted you neatly covered your tracks by avoiding mention that it coordinated perfectly with your leathers and helmet .... or that the mirrors are just so perfect for applying make-up but you're fooling no one.

:smt002

There again - sounds like a great buy :smt004
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

katie1
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#9 Post by katie1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:09 pm

D-Rider wrote:.... or that the mirrors are just so perfect for applying make-up but you're fooling no one.
Now, I know why I'd know that but... :smt003

Ok, yes the mirrors are great! They're the odd insert ones with the adjustment on the glass rather than the mirror stem so you can really set them up properly.

At least, I shall when I pick it up. Was a couple of miles up a country road before I thought to check on the test ride :smt001

Oh, and I've bought a black Bagster tank cover. I love the white paint but I really hate washing bikes! :smt005

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Very interesting to hear your views on the VFR800 compared to the Falco, Katie. And extra kudos for having had a VFR750 - for me they will always be the 'real' VFRs. Carbs and gear driven cams and a really fruity exhaust note if you lose the OE cans.

I looked at the latest VFR800 and it's certainly miles better than the original VTEC in terms of looks. It certainly seems like Honda have gone back to a slightly more traditional VFR type look with this one, and that's all to the good in my view. It's certainly got all the toys. Let us know how you get on with it - I'm sure it will deal with your unfeasibly elongated commute better than a 15 y.o. Falco would do...

As for the Ducati - I honestly think they've forgotten how to build a sports-tourer. A 16 litre tank is just ridiculous. Looks great, but not really suited for its intended purpose.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#11 Post by DavShill » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:44 am

Great update Katie. Look forward to hearing about the new ride.