VStrom ride report

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

VStrom ride report

#1 Post by DavShill » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi All,
I thought it was about time to post a rider report on the new Vstrom, so here goes. Nearly 3 months and 1900 miles in and the more I ride it the more I like it. I handed back my company car at the end of July and the Vstrom is fast becoming my preferred mode of transport.

So some background detail:
It’s a 1037cc derivation of the old TL vtwin. The old Vstrom has been face lifted to produce a more “beaky” adventure style bike in the GS/Mulitistrada/KTM style. I love the look.

I bought the black Sport edition which is has the factory additions of hand guards, lower cowling (bash plate……. Ha ha!!!), special decals, bling chain guard, crash bars and a Yoshi pipe. With hindsight I would now recommend buying a standard bike and spending the extra money on good after market stuff. The lower cowling is an excuse for a bash plate…… it’s a flimsy joke and serves only to keep crud off the sump and oil filter. It would serve no purpose if “bashed”. The bling chain guard looks cool but will have to be removed to fit a more effective hugger. The decals are just, well, decals. The crash bars are good and the Yoshi pipe is fab. I also negotiated heated grips. They are two stage grips but don’t seem to heat up as quickly as the Triumph items on the Tiger. Happy with the package but I think you would get better value modding a standard bike.

The bike comes with 2 stage traction control and front and rear ABS. It has a 12v socket in the cockpit, hazard warning lights, trip computer with the usual settings.

It’s a tall bike and I took advantage of the dealer offer to exchange for the lower seat. It would be too tall for me without it.

What have I done to it?
Fitted my SWMotech base plate to the factory rack so it takes my Givi monokey top box. The factory rack looks like alloy but is in fact plastic – a little disappointing but seems sturdy enough.
The factory panniers are £700 !!!!!! . they look pretty but are small. I went for Givi quick release racks £186 from a UK dealer and a pair of Kappa 33 ltr side cases (uk RRP approx £350 but got them on ebay from Italy for £186 – ordered on Sunday and arrived on Wednesday from Italy) they are superb.

The lines of the loaded bike are really nice. The Tiger was very “arse in the air” with all the luggage on but the Vstrom looks just right.

I’ve changed the screen and fitted a light smoke PUIG touring screen. The stock screen looks cool but created a lot of buffeting under my helmet chin bar. The PUIG item has transformed the experience (80mph with visor up is no problem now) and the quality is first class. I’ve also fitted some clear foil tank protectors because my knees where already leaving scuff marks and dulling the laquer.

What’s the ride like?
Very very comfortable and un-stressed. It creates just 100bhp but the torque is all in the 4000 to 7500 rev range, just where you need it most. The response is amazing and the Yoshi pipe is an addictive “burble/rumble” and yes the baffle is already out. I think it has improved the throttle response and they say it creates about another 3-5 bhp. It corners extremely well and is fast and stable – I have gradually turned up the fun dial and it is extremely agile.

The most impressive thing is the balance of the bike. The Tiger was quite top heavy and not easy in very slow turns. The Vstrom carries its mass lower down and is so easy at slow speed. I can ride it to a stand still and balance for a few seconds before having to put my feet down. Two up it’s a much better ride than the Tiger, more stable and easier to handle. Jules finds it much more comfy and easier to get on and off because of the position of the pillion footpegs. However she says she needs to get used to not having such a good view of the road ahead. She is used to sports bikes and the Tiger pillion was also quite high compared to the Strom.

From a little night riding, the headlight seems very effective, full beam is excellent.

Verdict:
So on balance some of the fittings are a little on the cheap side and my advice would be to avoid the dealer packages of accessories and spend money modding a standard bike.

I love the bike, it has great road presence and has enough grunt and throttle response to please a sportsbike enthusiast. Did I mention the sound of the Yoshi pipe…….. bloody awesome.

Great brakes, wide bars, high riding position with great visibility and very good two up.

Edit..... Centre stand is an accessory. I think I will live without it for the time being. I have fitted cotton reels but it's not as easy to haul onto the paddock stand as the Falco.

Pics to follow.
Last edited by DavShill on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

Re: VStrom ride report

#2 Post by D-Rider » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:49 am

Excellent - sounds as though you have chosen well.
DavShill wrote:Hi All,
Happy with the package but I think you would get better value modding a standard bike.
.... and these are the words that will sell it to any Falco owner !
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#3 Post by randomsquid » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Sounds like a really good bike for you freakishly tall people.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

fatboy
World Champion

#4 Post by fatboy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:17 pm

These funny adventure/tourer things seem to be made for the gangly riders,
Tall boy at work has just swapped his Z800 for 1000 Versus and is so happy he no longer sees his elbows in the mirrors and his Mrs no longer feels like she is sat on a budgie perch
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:51 pm

Nice one, Dave. I'm warming to the Adventure bike look, but all of the ones I've looked at were significantly heavier than the Falco, which is something of a benchmark in that regard. How much does the V-Strom weigh? The fact that it has a derivative of the old TL engine is a plus point for me. I owned a TL1000S for a few years and the engine was insanely good. I believe that Suzuki somewhat neutered the engine in later models (mine was one of the first in the country), but I'm sure it would still be a big grin to ride.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#6 Post by DavShill » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:42 am

But I'm not tall. In fact I'm probably shorter than you John. I'm 5'9". I opted for the low seat. Even on the Falco I can't get both feet flat on the ground. On the vstrom I only get one foot flat, similar to the Tiger 1050 but the difference is how the bike carries its weight.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#7 Post by DavShill » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:46 am

The book says 228kg Mango but it doesn't feel like it.

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#8 Post by randomsquid » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:40 pm

DavShill wrote:But I'm not tall. In fact I'm probably shorter than you John. I'm 5'9". I opted for the low seat. Even on the Falco I can't get both feet flat on the ground. On the vstrom I only get one foot flat, similar to the Tiger 1050 but the difference is how the bike carries its weight.
We're probably about the same height then, I'm on the balls of my feet on the Falco. I don't think I'd get anything taller out of my back gate and up the side of the house. Even my small honda is getting on for too tall.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#9 Post by DavShill » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Yes it is a wide beast too.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#10 Post by HisNibbs » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:44 pm

Yes it is a wide beast too
Random a beast? How very dare you.