Benelli

Motorcycle chat forum. Discuss the latest news and bikes and share your opinions.

Moderator: D-Rider

blinkey501
World Champion

Benelli

#1 Post by blinkey501 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:42 am

As some of you are aware I bought my benelli tornado despite reading bad reports about the bike?

I decided to go ahead and buy one any way as I was also advised not to but an aprilia, and up to press the aprilia's I have bought are fun and rewarding.

The benelli has had some major mods done, and I decided to let bennets of Barnsley do the work so I could be issued with a full receipt.

The tornado, apart from having a turning circle of a container ship is an awesome bike.

I called in at squires a few weeks ago and noticed that the rear end of my RS was lower in comparison to two other tornado's that arrived?

This of course would explain why the bike would not turn in as it should.

I took the bike home and set about removing the rear shock to make sure that everything was serviceable and free.

The height of the shock adjusted was fully wound in?

Perhaps some one of tim's stature would have owned the bike prior to me buying it. :smt017

Three turns of the adjuster, and refitting it to the bike made the bike a totally different ride.

The bike changes direction so quick, and is easy to drop into the bends at speed.....

I have no regrets "to date" on buying this bike. It is so much fun to ride, and is as exclusive as the falco.

With 140 BHP at the back wheel. And an awesome exhaust note when on cam, :smt020 The bike is very good for the grin factor.

Tolerance will be our undoing.

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#2 Post by flatlander » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:46 am

And equally as importantly its pretty
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

ginge
Despatch Rider

#3 Post by ginge » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:10 pm

Stunning looking bike. Considering getting one of these in the near future. Whats it like to ride in comparison to the Falco?

Are there any particular things to watch out for, what goes wrong etc? What are servicing and parts like as well, easily obtainable?

blinkey501
World Champion

#4 Post by blinkey501 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:30 pm

ginge wrote:Stunning looking bike. Considering getting one of these in the near future. Whats it like to ride in comparison to the Falco?

Are there any particular things to watch out for, what goes wrong etc? What are servicing and parts like as well, easily obtainable?
You can't really compare it to a falco as it is nothing like?

The tornado is a lot quicker with more power, but the falco is still an awesome bike.

The falco needs the mille r upgrade shock to make the bike better, but tbh I can't give a comparison?

The tornado needs the upgrades doing before you really ride the bike at a cost of nearly a grand?

Make sure the mods are done before buying the bike.

The list of mods are.....

The Z25 gear changed .

Later clutch basket fitted.

Air box drain pipe moved...The drain leaks onto the middle coil stick.

The core plugs are made of mild steel, so need changing for the ducati ones.

Alternator bushes, new bolt and washer

The best oil for these bikes is 15/50 putoline nonotek.

I think that is it.

Bennets of Barnsley will do the work at a fair price.

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by Viking » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:34 am

Very nice bike indeed!

I would have bought a Tornado-R. But the Falco is so much more practical, and that's what I want from my transport.
It's the V-twin thing. There's just something about it that inline-4s don't have at all, and V-4s don't have enough of.

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#6 Post by flatlander » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:40 am

True but aside from being pretty the benelli pulls .... girls. ;)
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#7 Post by HisNibbs » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:18 am

It is a nice ride with musical top end rush. Though I didn't get to push it hard in the twisties the handling felt good too. The seat is hard though, harder than my cafe racer's strip of plastic let alone a standard Falco.

Not an everyday ride, more a special occasion piece of exotica and talking point.
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

squadron Nero
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#8 Post by squadron Nero » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Nice bike Jay, looks in great condition.

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#9 Post by Firestarter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:16 am

flatlander wrote:True but aside from being pretty the benelli pulls .... girls. ;)
He's not wrong...

Nice rear...
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#10 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:09 pm

She did say how much she enjoyed having a throbbing beast between her thighs

She also said the bike was ok

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by D-Rider » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Firestarter wrote:
flatlander wrote:True but aside from being pretty the benelli pulls .... girls. ;)
He's not wrong...
So are you suggesting it's the bike pulling the girls rather than Jay's own animal magnetism? :smt017

You sure know how to put a chap down ....
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

blinkey501
World Champion

#12 Post by blinkey501 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:46 am

D-Rider wrote:
Firestarter wrote:
He's not wrong...
So are you suggesting it's the bike pulling the girls rather than Jay's own animal magnetism? :smt017

:smt003

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#13 Post by randomsquid » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:17 pm

blinkey501 wrote:
D-Rider wrote:
Firestarter wrote:
He's not wrong...

:smt003
Well she didn't ask for a go on Horace the Honda and I'm as charming as fuck...
Where ever I lay my hat.....

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:02 pm

It's a sensational looking bike. One was parked up near where i work 2 or 3 years ago, and I was crawling all over it. I seriously thought about buying one, but common sense (and a stern talking to) eventually prevailed. Normally I'm a sucker for red bikes, but in this instance I think the silver and metallic green just shades it; they are Benelli's historic racing colours after all. I still remember seeing Kel Carruthers and Renzo Pasolini riding the Benelli 250-4s at the TT in the very early 70s. They sounded even better than they looked.